Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pin Stripes  (Read 1713 times)

Seacommander

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Pin Stripes
« on: April 29, 2020, 08:15:01 pm »

Hi,
I have a launch hull 90% finished and re-painted, I've used traditional enamels, light grey and red below water line
I'd like to put a couple of pin stripes around the top, just to finish it
How do you guys do this ?
I'm all ears and thanks in advance
Cheers
Mark

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Pin Stripes
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 08:20:06 pm »

Shg sell various colours in pinstripng you buy a roll of it and they are various widths

Dave

Seacommander

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 08:44:39 pm »

Thanks Dave,
Any advice on setting it out and do you varnish over this
Thanks

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 08:57:00 pm »

TBH i never have a problem with them falling off so i do not varnish over the stripes no need

Dave

RST

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 08:58:22 pm »

Don't Trimline and BECC make vinyl pinstripes and-or pin-stripe transfers of various thicknesses?  Model railway companies have lots of these also.  I would have thought the usual applies:  Always apply to satin or gloss surface (forget it on matt) and finish afterwards with varnish.

You can also do your own using masking tape: I only use Tamiya tape.  Usual advice:  Mask lower edge and paint lightly using base-colour to seal the edge.  Go over with top colour of desired stripe.  Peel off tape to reveal lower crisp edge.  Apply second layer of tape offset to the required thickness of the stripe and paint back in the stripe olour (lightly) to seal the edge again, then paint over in the base colour again for everything above.  Takes a bit of practice but works OK depending what you're doing.

...That works for reasonably straight stripes and never leave tape on until paint is fully hardened.  No experience with proper pinstriping!  It's an art in itself hence why allot of folk use vinyl or transfers I think.

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 09:24:15 pm »

SHG sell trimline tape

Dave

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 12:35:48 am »

I still have a small supply of Great Planes striping tape left over from my aeromodelling days. Once applied and the adhesive cures it won't come off, as it was designed to resist the effects of model aero engine exhaust residue. I have used it on several of my model boats, some of which are 17 years old and sail exclusively in salt water, and none of the tape has looked like detaching. I saw somewhere that it has been discontinued, but is still available in limited quantities from the likes of Amazon or eBay etc. Fortunately I have enough to see me out.

Peter.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 05:25:06 pm »

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,63229.msg668468.html#msg668468  This is masking off in  large scale not a tape in site

Stan

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 05:49:02 pm »

Stan
I feel it's time to gently point out to you that the lack of talent and other practical considerations which fetter the likes of us mortals don't apply to certain other folk like your good self. I'm pretty sure that when you post pictures of your detail work, lighting installations and weathering you ought to be able to hear a hundred jaws drop around the UK. If you can't then maybe you should listen harder!
All power to your airbrush, mate!
Dave M

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 06:10:01 pm »

Hi to you all having spoken to the member about masking and the use of vinyl tape he asked if I could show models i had masked off and painted and not used vinyl tape. I did in those early years use the above mentioned tape but decided to have a go at painting lines etc and the rest is history. I do understand that members do not feel confident in masking and using the air brush. With this in mind the self adhesive tape is the ideal  solution for many modellers. If I have caused any offence with my reply to this post please accept my apology

Stan.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 06:21:25 pm »

No need to apologise Stan. There are those who will be happy to try out the masking and painting method and others who prefer the convenience of pinstripes. Whatevet floats your boat really.

Colin

Seacommander

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 09:58:56 pm »

:-))
Hello,
Well yesterday I posted and asked for some guidance and assistance, I was a bit out of my comfort zone and needed a nudge in the right direction
I just want to say a massive thanks to Stan,
Stan has taken the time and trouble to call me a couple of times today and we've had over two hours on the phone
Stan has guided me through some of his masking techniques and his lining masking, and showing me his wonderful models in various stages of construction 
This has given me the confidence to look at this subject quite differently, I have a boat in progress and will be taking Stan up on his advice
What Brilliant response
Thanks so much Stan
I owe you a drink at the bar at the next show  !!
Thank you Sir & cheers
Mark

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 09:53:37 am »

Thank you for this reply and I hope your masking and painting of those coach lines all goes well.  For those who have thought about having a go at masking and painting the dreaded waterline or any other line have a go. You do not need a airbrush  to carry out these operations just a good paint brush and good masking tape and of course have few trial runs on scrap material.

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

RST

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 11:52:40 am »

Think some heat should be taken off Stan. I suggested methods of masking off and painting first. I'm not as neat, but practice makes perfect and you have to try things to learn how.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2020, 12:08:26 pm »

Hi all there is no heat on me. I said earlier it is up to each individual how they wish to carry out these applications.

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.415 seconds with 22 queries.