Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Chris Craft Corvette  (Read 13958 times)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: Chris Craft Corvette
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2020, 11:37:15 am »

From Bob

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2020, 07:08:25 pm »

Another couple

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2020, 11:33:05 pm »

If this is the restoration Tony, then I am sure it will be 100%  :-))  with the labour of life saving work.........

Apart from the minimal actual cracking in the lower hull sheeting/planking....the discolouration/stain/dirty surfaces makes the project look a lot worse than it is

Using Titebond III?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2020, 09:47:47 am »

I think you're right Derek. I know Bob has got work to do but the framework seems to have been designed for lightness so he's got some tolerance in the weight to play with. I've suggested that if he's got any marginally dubious wood, he could use a dose of the wood-rot stabilizer resin such as Cuprinol. I don't know whet you think but it could link old and new areas together with a small weight penalty.
Tony

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2020, 09:29:03 pm »

I think you're right Derek. I know Bob has got work to do but the framework seems to have been designed for lightness so he's got some tolerance in the weight to play with. I've suggested that if he's got any marginally dubious wood, he could use a dose of the wood-rot stabilizer resin such as Cuprinol. I don't know whet you think but it could link old and new areas together with a small weight penalty.
Tony

Thanks for hosting my pictures for me Tony - I will keep them coming and you can delate any that are of no interest.

I took your advise and ordered some wood-rot stabiliser today from Amazon and (all being well) it will arrive tomorrow.  They had no Cuprinol in stock but they did have an offer on the Ronseal type so I hope it will stiffen-up some of the decaying and fragile wood that actually looks better in the pictures than it really is!

The wood crumbles as it is touched so it is very fragile and is why I have made new "frames" to hold each section together and stabilise it before moving on to the next otherwise I would loose the shape of the hull.

This is made considerably more difficult to work with by the large amount of resin (or shallac?)  that was liberally poured over everything.  Over the years this has shrunk away from the edges and corners so it has to be chipped away as it serves no purpose other than to obscure the areas I need to work on.

I hope to fit the first pair of planks that I stripped from the hardwood off-cut I found yesterday to replace the rotten one that I have had to remove.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2020, 08:01:30 pm »

Very well done for taking on the biggest basket case in model boating I have ever seen. Keep up the fine work, and in my experience most times by eye on a project like yours works better than trying to match measurements  O0 O0
Steamed up all the time

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2020, 10:00:33 am »

Very well done for taking on the biggest basket case in model boating I have ever seen. Keep up the fine work, and in my experience most times by eye on a project like yours works better than trying to match measurements  O0 O0

Thanks for your encouragement Phil. :-))

I have to admit that if it were not for the lock-down this hulk would not have made it out of the skip, but it is a comparatively unusual model from the 1950's and if I can actually end-up with a finished and working model boat I will be quite pleased - and it should be a bit "tougher" than the original kit built model would have been.

The original balsa construction used in this Sterling kit is more like that used on a model aircraft and does give a good lightweight and stiff construction, but its durability and resistance to the occasional bump if used every week on the local club lake is a concern, and the very thin low quality plywood used in the cabin construction is more delicate than the balsa wood and is very flimsy and delaminating.

Making the replacement parts "by eye" rather than measurement works for me on a basket case like this and can actually make a better fit too.

My model may not end up being a glamour-puss (I do not have the genuine Chris Craft fittings to make it a true scale replica) but it will have the correct outline shape and it should look like a Corvette - and that would be a good result for a "skip-dodger" like this !

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2020, 11:33:23 am »

A few more.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2020, 11:59:02 am »

This retimbering rebuild is looking very strong, straight & square Bob.... :-)) ....good to see older floor plate frames removed, then replaced

What specie is the new [lighter toned] framing timber?...we see your old oak tree from your workshop ripped up into lower hull planking...

As Tony mentioned, weight should be a consideration, although from your earlier images.......the hull appears to be of quite fair proportions so may float on a very low draft?

Looking forward to your continued rebuild snaps

Derek

[PS..I did ask.....are you using Titebond III?
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2020, 10:49:19 am »

This retimbering rebuild is looking very strong, straight & square Bob.... :-)) ....good to see older floor plate frames removed, then replaced

What specie is the new [lighter toned] framing timber?...we see your old oak tree from your workshop ripped up into lower hull planking...

As Tony mentioned, weight should be a consideration, although from your earlier images.......the hull appears to be of quite fair proportions so may float on a very low draft?

Looking forward to your continued rebuild snaps

Derek

[PS..I did ask.....are you using Titebond III?

Hi Derek,

I used 1/4"  balsa wood when replacing or "doubling" the original balsa frames and I have used an Aliphatic adhesive (basically a PVA that can be sanded when dry) that has extremely good "grab" and gives a good powerful bond.

The opened rear part of the hull has now been planked over and a couple more areas have needed to have my home stripped planks inserted where the original balsa planking fell apart before I could treat it.

As I moved forwards along the hull cleaning up the inside I removed the delaminating front deck to expose the hidden front sections, I also noticed that the keal was crumbling away towards the bow so I cut a 1/4" plywood "insert" and cut away enough hull planking to make room for the clamps to hold the insert in place until the glue dried.

I took a couple of quick snaps so I will send them to Tony today.

Bob.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2020, 11:57:18 am »

Getting there :-))

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2020, 07:37:54 pm »

I have completed the lower front bow repair using laminated balsa to form a solid block. 

This has now been sanded to shape and another hardwood plank inserted where I found a rotten area that I wanted to replace.

The stringers under the front deck have also been removed to make to easier to reach the inside of the bow to clean it up and to coat it with a layer of P40 chopped glass to stiffen the inside of the front planking that looked like it had been well done and was still intact, but as this is an area that will be hidden from sight once the new deck is made and fitted as I just want to make sure that it is well protected and watertight.

The outside of the lower hull is now solid enough and I am using a small amount of filler paste here and there to blend the old and new together after a few boring hours of sanding to produce a nice smooth surface before returning to do do some more work inside the hull to replace more of the rotten and missing cross members.

I have also cut away the softwood and thick ply that was put in with filler paste and resin/shelac to mount the 50cc two stroke as this wood was hiding sections of the hull that I wanted to see so I know that all of the hull is sound and restored.  Its a shame that this was probably the most solid part of the hull (!)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2020, 01:16:06 pm »

A better bow :}

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2020, 02:57:02 pm »

:-))

Well done Bob.  Looks like progress is being made.  Keep it up!

Greg

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2020, 12:47:54 am »

Excellent restoration & looking good Bob  O0 .....a very light glass cloth & resin over the hull externals?.............[balsa is very soft  :o ]

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2020, 10:17:58 am »

Excellent restoration & looking good Bob  O0 .....a very light glass cloth & resin over the hull externals?.............[balsa is very soft  :o ]

Derek

I am thinking about that option - I have never applied an external hull covering so I need to find out what materials to use and how to apply it.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2020, 01:13:17 pm »

I decided it was time to knock-up some sort of “holder” for the Corvette as I hope at some stage (sooner the better) to be able to turn the hull over and start working on something a bit more interesting!

Keeping in the spirit of "making something out of nothing” I found a piece of scrap 20mm plywood that had been previously used as a “doner” for  mixing some cement on, so I scraped off the dried cement and chopped it up to make the base and two ends.

The spruce ply is rough ( just like the boat) and is also very lightweight (again like the boat) so it was a natural choice.

I found another piece of scrap plywood that was just long enough to make a side from, so I cut it in half lengthwise on the bandsaw to make two sides and bunged it all together.

The underside of the hull has had some wood sealer painted onto the bare wood areas, and then I painted on an undercoat to highlight the many areas that still need surface filling - very depressing!!

I will tidy-up the two propshaft outlet positions and order a pair of 10” shafts and large rudders today and get them fitted as soon as they arrive so I can paint the inside with glass fibre resin and chopped mat to toughen up the inside and then I can make and fit the motor mounts and cut some plywood bulkheads etc.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2020, 02:29:32 pm »

More like a boat rather than a car crash!

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2020, 11:40:03 am »

I think I may have a change of plan regarding the prop shafts.

From what I can see, a pair of 10" prop shafts ( with 11" stainless inner shafts ) should work out about right for the twin brushless motors I have in mind to power the finished boat (maybe a bit optimistic about the finished bit), but I am tempted to buy a pair of 6" outer shafts with the two 11" stainless inner shafts and a pair of P brackets from Modelboatbits.

I intend setting the motor drive so both props turn inwards towards each other, but I have not made a twin shaft model boat before and so I am not too sure about the availability of left and right handed propellers of the size I may need, and if I need to have one of the inner shafts cut with a left hand thread to stop it "unwinding" when under power?

The other option I considered was making the shafts with a dog-drive collar fitted, to ensure both props remain secure irrespective of the rotational direction.

Then I have the problem of finding a "pair" of props to suite the brushless motors. With a single shaft drive it is possible to use inexpensive plastic props to use when testing to find the best size that works, but from what I can see I would need to buy a pair of brass props, and this could make testing a little expensive unless I happened to "guess right" first time!

I am using a pair of Turnigy 3648-1450 outdrive motors.  If anyone has used these motors and can advise what prop sizes work the best in a large hull it could save me taking a "stab in the dark" when buying a pair of brass props and it could save me some time (and cash!) too.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2020, 02:09:45 pm »

As I was moving some wood to cut the lower hull skins for my Wavemaster 34 build I picked-up the remains of the Corvette plywood sides to clear some bench space and was alarmed to find they had deteriorated even more - I didn't think that was possible!

I checked the 4mm ply that I had drawn these shapes on previously and took the opportunity to tidy them up and "fill in the gaps" as I refereed to the balsa wood cabin top to see how they would fit before the ply remains that I still have disappear completely.

After completing the shapes drawn onto the new 4mm plywood (with a little guesswork), I cut a new pair of cabin sides and the three front windscreen frames. I checked these newly cut shapes against the balsa cab roof and it looks like they can be made to fit OK.  Result!

Now I have preserved the shape in some sold wood I can relax as I should have all the info I need to rebuild the main section of the boats superstructure. There will still be some research needed to work out the cab floor and open well areas but I should be OK with that, and  then I only need to make the fly screen shapes so I can refer to the pictures of other Corvettes that I have saved and work that out later.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2020, 01:06:00 pm »

More!

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2020, 01:48:00 pm »

I cut the cabin sides out yesterday and glued them back onto the balsa wood cabin top that has survived much better than the really poor plywood parts that have all more or less disintegrated over the years.

When I was gutting the hull, I was careful not to remove the areas where the cabin mounted as I wanted to keep these as reference points.

This morning, to my total surprise,  when I removed all the clips and tape that I had used to hold everything in place while the glue was drying - it fitted back onto the hull perfectly !

The new cab sides sat absolutely level onto the two side mounting shelves inside the hull, the two forward mounting lugs plugged squarely into the remains of the slots on the main front bulkhead, and the cabin rear sides look like they will fit flat enough onto the rear deck when I get around to replacing it.

Something has gone well on this lengthy restoration job for a change, and will give me some encouragement to face up to the job again when I return to it after the Wavemaster comes off of the work bench.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2020, 04:20:53 pm »

Hi Zooma  try www.cornwallmodelboats.com  for your props they do left and right hand plastic props in two and three blade and most sizes, only £3.59 each cheap enough for testing purposes.

Joe

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2020, 05:02:17 pm »

One more plus!

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2020, 10:19:10 am »

Hi Zooma  try www.cornwallmodelboats.com  for your props they do left and right hand plastic props in two and three blade and most sizes, only £3.59 each cheap enough for testing purposes.

Joe

Thanks for the info Joe - I will buy a couple of likely sizes ready for testing.

I was planning to fit a pair of Turnigy 3648-1450 out-runners, but I am not sure if this will be a bit too much power because although this is a large chunky model, it does have a very lightweight construction - although it will be a bit heavier than the kit maker planned it to be after I have rebuilt it!

Perhaps a pair of brushed motors would be a better option ?........it would certainly be kinder on my pension - but I do want the boat to make some white water when it is finished and not just dawdle along barely making a ripple!

I need to make my mind up quickly about this I am getting close to the time when I need to install the motors - or even make a last minute change to just a single motor drive !  I have a big 4030 880KV outrunner (a 600 helicopter size motor) that would probably shove it along at a fair old pace .............decisions, decisions!

Bob.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 23 queries.