Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: U.S.C.G Ports & Waterways Boat (Build Blog)  (Read 4088 times)

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
Re: U.S.C.G Ports & Waterways Boat (Build Blog)
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2021, 11:07:01 am »

The radar dome build. 4 pieces of ply glued together the middle ply has most of its the centre removed. Not that I needed to bother about weight. Checked size off plan then mounted on the drill sanded to a smooth edge and correct diameter. Glued the 3 legs to the radar base and used a screw to give a good support base to dome. Sprayed with white primer then a coat of appliance white. The flash was sprayed red and a blue strip of tape then a coat of Chestnut lacquer. The Coast Guard vinyl badge fitted. Mast, radar dome, searchlight, airhorn and  siren offered into place before glued into place. The roof hand rail has also been fitted was removed sprayed white and glued back into position

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2021, 10:31:05 am »

The fire hose and supply pipe all made of wood. I would have liked to have made the supply pipe with copper with a nice bend on it ( lockdown ). Fitted the outer window frames and windows

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2021, 11:45:43 am »

"The fire hose and supply pipe all made of wood. I would have liked to have made the supply pipe with copper with a nice bend on it"

That would have created tears, and tares in the copper, too tight a bend radius. original would have a cast or two half pressing bend welded together.

Really nice build.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2021, 12:22:09 pm »

Hi Ian
 I like to work with wood but have a set of springs you insert in to piping  to stop kinking and a little bending tool. Whether not  it would work, I don't know,. Then there is the sand in the pipe idea with the pipe plugged  each end. Tools I've had for decades and never used 

Cheers

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2021, 06:44:59 pm »

Just trying to save the heartache, Yep, I know about the spring and sand tricks but it's down to bend radius. Only way I know to achieve a tight bend like what you've shown is how musical instrument (Brass section) tight bends are formed. Hardly economical in model sizes. BUT, electroforming would also work. Moons ago, was responsible for supply of zorst systems for fighting vehicles, F1 and DMU multiple units. ok2

Regards  Ian.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2021, 09:09:31 pm »

Hi Ian
  If I really was going to use copper I'd attempt a cut n shut method, as I've seen it done. Anyway this model finished sometime ago and I have moved on  :-))

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2021, 08:00:08 am »

Stanchions and railings on the work deck. First picture is the stanchions cut to size and soldering washers to top and bottoms. Using the drill to keep them upright and steady while doing so. Next the assemblies are put into the jig to get right positioning. Next the life belts/ rafts painted and BECC decals added. Next the cage to hold the life belts in made of brass flat and soldered into position. Further work back in the jig and primer added. Next assembly offered into place and it fits just about right this is starboard side. Last picture is the port side in the wrong side. Good job my jigs were copies of each other.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2021, 12:06:36 pm »

From memory the musical instrument companies based on a 'How It's Made' program use wax inside the tube, hot wax poured in a left to set, then the bends are created using pipe bending tools and then parts are heated to release the wax.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2021, 02:00:10 am »

Interestingly, a Yamaha video refer to a low temperature metal poured into the stem before bending........a French manufacture process appears to use some cryogenic process prior to bending  >>:-( ....either way, both are rather amazing in the quality of the finished bends  :-))

The Yamaha clip also make note that soft soldering is used in segments of tube to tube joints so as to facilitate easy disassembly

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2021, 07:59:44 am »

You know - going off  memory is a problem of mine  :D , the cryogenic method may have been what it might be, water frozen and then after the bending allowing the water to run out, so sorry about that everyone
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2021, 08:41:43 am »

Gentlemen basically it goes to show that there is always a way of doing things.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2021, 12:37:37 pm »

"Low temp. metal" is "Cerrobend" was commonly known as "Woods metal" amusing to see reaction to a teaspoon molded from it in hot tea. Bismuth based and various melting temperatures available. Musical instrument tube bending I saw was ti crush the section to be bent, bending round a form and then clamping tube in a split block and forcing ball bearings from one end to re form the bore. Granular packing for our toy sizes would be best using salt but has to be really tightly packed and the ends of the tube sealed, but again, in our sizes, really tight bends, wax pattern and electroform if metal is wanted, otherwise resin castings.

Sorry for hijack seaspray, just trying to impart help.

Regards  Ian.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2021, 08:56:47 am »

Righty O. Need to finish this blog as I've another build I wish to get back to. First 3 pictures are the  rear railing being constructed to completion. Then sprayed refitted and the boat's I.D number using BECC decal  with a little Chestnut Lacquer sprayed over. Also the rear hatch glued in place. Next forward and aft chains fitted. There should be two chains on the forward section but as the cabin comes off its easier to leave them off. Also the midships Samson post fitted. Rear chains two fitted and the opening hatch fitted. Top view of the workdeck hatches using BECC lining to make them stand out.  Front railing  soldered up ready for spraying. It should join on to the railing on the cabin roof as one piece but again as the cabin comes off I left as it is. Later will find thin plastic tubing to slide on and off for cabin roof rails. Finally the Coast Guard and I.D. number placed on, using BECC decals and two of the three  cleats glued to deck. There are six all told three each side.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2021, 07:54:20 pm »

First four pictures are of the finished model. The next four pictures are the maiden voyage at AYR Model Boat Club, Newton Park. AYR, Scotland

Picture 1 If you full stick on the right hand one the boat does doughnuts. Have a good look at the water that is a nice little ESC circuit on board ( Discussed in the build blog ).

Picture 2 Full ahead nice wake and didn't need any ballast. Very  surprised no water problems at the transom, as it sit low in the water.

Picture of the real boat in action very old picture.

Picture 3 Pretty good at doing quick turns and sitting just right in the water.

Picture 4  In to harbour and homeward bound. Had a good time  with this model. :-))

Lastly the real boat in action very old picture
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.