Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mountfleet Clyde Puffer 1/24 Scale  (Read 3949 times)

Georgeconna

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Mountfleet Clyde Puffer 1/24 Scale
« on: April 30, 2020, 08:40:52 pm »

Good Evening Folks,

I have taken over a Clyde Puffer that was bought for my father for his 70th birthday, Unfortunately he is not able to continue with the build due to MS. It amazing how long you actually have to stand up building these yokes so after some gentle prodding about getting this done I have taken it over with his permission. he was a good modeller in his day so it must annoy him not being able to do this.

These ships have great character so I hope to Capture some of that in the build. I had to strip down a good bit of my Dads work as the was bits of resin in various places and a ship of this caliber should be finished as best possible. (probably given it the kiss of death there now!)

Forgive my lack of Knowledge of ship and nautical terms as I am mostly an RC Flyer and Model Train guy too but learning fast!

As of yesterday I had the mast painted up in buff, My dad had a all over grey but it did not do it justice so the mast and jib were sanded and sealed and repainted and the white metal parts added along with the lantern soldered in place on some brass wire. I hope to have a Bulb in the lamp at some stage.

I sanded down the decks and to be honest some of the side walls a pretty woeful but there are lots of the white metal pieces which are well stuck in and will be destroyed if pulled off so I will leave in situ. Hopefully some weathering will hide the worst of it.

I have just re painted the hull with the red colour and the black will be next.

A large order for some detail accessories went in to Model Dockyard, £140+ pounds worth to spruce the build up and to replace missing pieces. I did treat the ship to a resin Lifeboat, I tried planking the inside of the one provided with plasticard strips but it left a lot to be desired. Once I get the bits n bobs I will be able to proceed in good speed so hopefully one day during the summer I can sit down me with my dad by the Atlantic Pond and he can sail this finally with a cup of tea.

It will have a Foggy unit inside, Some working lights, Nav lights, Mast head and Stern light which won't be seen anyhow in the daylight and I am toying with putting a Sound unit in too. The one I have in another boat is from Action sounds but did not sound too convincing TBH. Maybe there is something a tad better.

Here are some pictures from yesterday, Any comments or pointers to make this slightly better than I can on my own will be gratefully accepted.

Also I attache a picture of some white metal pieces that I have no idea what they are for or where they go so if anyone else has built this and does know please could you assist. (I have also asked Mountfleet but waiting on a reply!)

Georgeconna

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mountfleet Clyde Puffer 1/24 Scale
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 09:01:27 pm »

Hi folks,

Another bit of progress on this one, Handrails are in, Brass Stanchions this time and 1mm wire, Re paint on the hull, Bullwarks Filled and sanded where needed, Could be better I know and some other fittings stuck on here and there.

awvs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 12:34:31 am »

Looking very good. :-)) :-)) :-))
Wilhelm

Georgeconna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 10:53:05 pm »

Hi folks,

Some more progress here on this one, Mostly the rigging. Just waiting on some more Rigging Thread for the rat Lines.

one pic this evening as I am still getting to grips with the 500kb limit.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 12:20:03 pm »

:-)) Lovely job, you done your dad proud.

Georgeconna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 06:55:38 pm »

Cheers Mate,

I brought it up to him last week for a sail in his small pond, he was well chuffed

He is hitting 75 next week so I hope to have this one in the bag so to speak asap! I am looking forward to hopefully heading down the pond again with the lads on the Summer Sundays again at some stage. Fingers crossed.

Georgeconna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 04:11:47 pm »

Hi folks,

After buying some 6V GOW Filament Bulbs and connected them to a 6v battery I got a nice light show for .5 of a second and whoosh they were kaput. Must of been 3V jobbies. They were in a packet from Caldercraft labelled 6V so not sure what happened.

Any how after some searching about for LEDs I came across 12V LEDs with in build resistor and the buy button was pushed. They arrived from a Crowd called Railway Scenics. To test I Simply connected them up to the 12V power supply and they worked so In went one in the Cab, Stern light, Mast light and Nav lights. certainly enhances the boat at night but I will probably never be sailing it at that time of the evening anyhow. Bit of a Luxury....Heres the result. The sopt light is now wired up too.

Georgeconna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 08:41:07 pm »

hi folks,

Current Status on this one, Enhanced the rusting on this with Pastle dust and Matt varnish and seal in, I then faded the hull with about 7 shades of red so I think I will draw the line here with the weathering on this one.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 08:53:58 pm »

Nice little model and nice work to get it finished. That toilet made me laugh though!
If you wanted you leds to be a little dimmer, you could run them off a 9v pp3. A rechargable one would last a sailing session easy. I have a 650mah one to power 6 leds in my heli.

Georgeconna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 09:59:15 pm »

Tks for the tip, I was gonna try another resistor in the Mast lamp as it is way to bright to see what happens there, I am not too electronics minded so it will be a bit of a trail and error.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 10:12:33 pm »

This scale steel corrosion is excellent... a few sections appear with that shiny translucent appearance of an area that is subjected to the very first stages of corrosion leaching out and over the paint   :-))

One of the most realistic steel surface effects seen

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Georgeconna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 10:07:42 pm »

Summer has defo arrived in Ireland, A heady 19 degrees means the pools come out and I managed to take a opportnuity to test this for weight, Still needs some more to be added.

Georgeconna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 11:23:13 pm »

Got the Rat lines done, 4 hours in the sun along with a few beers to ease me through it. I hate Knots TBH. Cable is also added to the drum and a little oil pump for the top of the oil drum

Georgeconna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 12:11:59 am »

Finally got to spend an hour and a bit with my Dad today sailing his Puffer. Unfortunately two wires mus not of been tightened and he smoke unit was not operational. Next time

taucher

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2020, 06:06:26 pm »

I melting,love it.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2020, 07:22:02 pm »

You have done a beautiful job on your Father's boat George. The weathering is first rate and well captured.

I bet your dad is really chuffed with your work. A chip off the old block perhaps?
Pond weed is your enemy

Georgeconna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2020, 10:16:01 pm »

Thanks Chaps, Appreciate the feed back. He was delighted with the boat as were the few locals who witnessed the maiden voyage.

We spend a nice hour on the water before he got too tired and had to head home.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2020, 10:02:15 pm »

Yes, I have a colleague who is suffering from MS, and it is tiring.
Pond weed is your enemy

GolemXIV

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2021, 07:56:05 pm »

I like the used look on your puffer. These boats have so much charme to them and i am lucky enough to got one too.

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2021, 01:38:12 am »

I am building one at 1/48 scale. Your work and photos are of immense help to a Yank who knows lobster boats but not puffers.

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2021, 09:15:35 pm »

Here is where I am. Final ballast trial.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.