Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Wood Care:

sanding sealing and waterproofing

(1/4) > >>

Philbyuk:
hi there all , not far off sealing  my boat .. got 2 tins of sanding sealer ,but realised they are  cellulose based , i'm going to be painting hull, decks etc with acrylic paint. is this going to be a problem?
also will sanding sealer  help waterproof the wood  inside and out , or better to try something else . suggestions very welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Phil .

JimG:
Acrylic over cellulose generally not a problem. (the reverse is) However best to leave it for at least a week for the cellulose solvent to fully evaporate before overpainting with acrylic. If you don't the surface of the acrylic will probably crinkle and need sanded back to the sealer. Sanding sealer should waterproof the wood as long as you don't sand through the surface in your preparation before add ing the top coat. For the hull inside I would prefer to use thin finishing epoxy which will soak into the wood and harden the surface.
Jim

coch y bonddu:
why take the chance of a reaction simply get some acrylic laquer spray and give the hull 3 coats this will seal the wood for you and defo as Jimg states finishing epoxy on the inside of the hull

Dave

Philbyuk:
would fibre glass resin work as good as epoxy resin finish ? a;so if i use the sanding sealer and prime before painting be ok ?

RST:
...been a few posts about sanding sealer recently.  I don't ever remember it being a "covering" or a "coating".  I mean it's fantastic for sealing things "hairy" like balsa or any raggedy edge end grain materials but never heard of it as a full "coating" until recently -when folk are perhaps rightly to say not to, because, maybe its just me but I never saw it used that way before over a big surface on a model?

...Polyester versus epoxy.  Well enough out there already.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version