Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Painting, Finishing and Care.

I give up on Humbrol!

(1/4) > >>

RST:
...What a load of unpredictable junk Humbrol "enamel" tinlets have become, not become but got worse again!  I'm just appalled at the finish on them now!

(Brush painting)

I give up.  I think I'm going to convert to Revell tinlets for everything now -they are a bit different, dry very quick and a bit difficult to use but a hundred percent better than most guff that Humbrol pumps out these days!

(attached picture of Humbrol finish is being kind, looks much worse in real life and 100% better after I went over with Revell!!!!)

RST:
...Revell is not without diffculties but at least achieves a reasonable finish.  It seems less hard to solvents though -not hard after 3 or 4 days still if you try and wipe with thinners or white spirit but at least it coats better.  Black and antifoul now both in Revell, humbrol were a disaster...

Howard:
HI RST,
 Like most things these days made in China  am lucky and bought a tin of nearly all their colours when made in Hull some a few of some as yet I have never opened like hens teeth all ok just take a bit longer to stir I keep them for detailing bits thinking of trying Tamiya colours see that they're like.
                   Regards Howard.

RST:
Hi Howard, I too have just a few left from the good old days of humbrol.  Not so many now.  Back before they re-branded to "color", before they went really bad after and came back a bit since.
I love tamiya also -but for airbrushing and I can't set-up my booth now, they're a bit difficult to brush on a big area and I still think acrylic is a bit soft in the end.  Think I'm stuck on revell for as  a workable paint now...
Rich

chas:
Humbrol paints are now made in Britain again, the problem is there is still a lot of the Chinese made junk out there. I've just been painting with a freshly produced tin, it's excellent, but I also got a tin of the Chinese made stuff by accident , truly awful. I wish I could tell them apart. I believe Humbrol regret their experiment with foreign manufacture, but at least they've had the sense to put things right, and I will try to keep supporting this British manufacturer,  as long as I can get freshly made stock.
Chas

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version