Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Painting, Finishing and Care.

EZE-KOTE. any good ?

(1/4) > >>

ukmike:
Hi.

I've always used Z Poxy Finishing Resin following the disappearance from the market of K&B polyester finishing resin many years ago.

Have always gotten on well with Zap, especially for applying very lightweight glass cloth, but wondered if the Eze Kote would be just as easy to use and the fact

that it is water based is a plus.

Has anyone used it and would you recommend it over Z poxy.?

Mike.

Colin Bishop:
I have used it quite a bit and like it. I employed it on my SLEC Fairey Huntsman kit and it went over the lightweight glass cloth very well. It dries quickly and is easy to rub down and there is no mess with water clean up. It is not so hard as epoxy but certainly OK for model boating use. I will be using it again on my current project.

You can of course use it directly on wood as a sealer although Deluxe Sand and Seal is thinner andbably better for that purpose.

Both will take rattle can paints without any problems.

I think it comes down to personal preference in the end really.

Colin

RST:
You say "gotten" so I assume youre more familiar with US stuff, which I don't like but not having so many restrictions on VOC's I must admit I prefer the "proper" products which are more difficult these days.

Deluxe for me are like apple vs anyone else.  Deluxe  products are very cleverly marketed.  For everyone that says one, there will be another saying 'tother.  Some like, some don't.  I'd stick with z-poxy myself but I think you should try for yourself.

DaveM:
I've used both and agree with Colin in that Eze-Kote isn't as hard as Z-Poxy. I've found that it's very easy to sand right through the glass-cloth whereas the Z-Poxy has more resistance to my more enthusiastic sanding. Given the choice I'd use the Z-Poxy. I also have fond memories of the K&B stuff. It was terrific.
Dave M

ukmike:
Thanks for the replies, interesting.

I don't like the idea that eze-kote is somewhat softer than the epoxy so I will stick to  Zap finishing resin.

even though clean-up is easier with E.K.

Better the enemy you know  !!!

Mike.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version