Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EZE-KOTE. any good ?  (Read 4821 times)

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • I used to be indecisive... but now I'm not so sure
EZE-KOTE. any good ?
« on: May 01, 2020, 10:16:58 pm »

Hi.

I've always used Z Poxy Finishing Resin following the disappearance from the market of K&B polyester finishing resin many years ago.

Have always gotten on well with Zap, especially for applying very lightweight glass cloth, but wondered if the Eze Kote would be just as easy to use and the fact

that it is water based is a plus.

Has anyone used it and would you recommend it over Z poxy.?

Mike.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: EZE-KOTE. any good ?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 10:33:24 pm »

I have used it quite a bit and like it. I employed it on my SLEC Fairey Huntsman kit and it went over the lightweight glass cloth very well. It dries quickly and is easy to rub down and there is no mess with water clean up. It is not so hard as epoxy but certainly OK for model boating use. I will be using it again on my current project.

You can of course use it directly on wood as a sealer although Deluxe Sand and Seal is thinner andbably better for that purpose.

Both will take rattle can paints without any problems.

I think it comes down to personal preference in the end really.

Colin

RST

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 10:59:37 pm »

You say "gotten" so I assume youre more familiar with US stuff, which I don't like but not having so many restrictions on VOC's I must admit I prefer the "proper" products which are more difficult these days.

Deluxe for me are like apple vs anyone else.  Deluxe  products are very cleverly marketed.  For everyone that says one, there will be another saying 'tother.  Some like, some don't.  I'd stick with z-poxy myself but I think you should try for yourself.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 11:01:40 pm »

I've used both and agree with Colin in that Eze-Kote isn't as hard as Z-Poxy. I've found that it's very easy to sand right through the glass-cloth whereas the Z-Poxy has more resistance to my more enthusiastic sanding. Given the choice I'd use the Z-Poxy. I also have fond memories of the K&B stuff. It was terrific.
Dave M

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • I used to be indecisive... but now I'm not so sure
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 11:23:47 pm »

Thanks for the replies, interesting.

I don't like the idea that eze-kote is somewhat softer than the epoxy so I will stick to  Zap finishing resin.

even though clean-up is easier with E.K.

Better the enemy you know  !!!

Mike.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 09:33:35 pm »

I haven't used anything other than Eze-Kote so can't compare with other products. I'm very happy with it and even if it's not as hard as other resins it's certainly hard enough and provides a very good basis for painting. I tend to apply two or three coats after applying the cloth.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

GrahamD

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 01:18:52 pm »

FYI Eze-Kote and Poly-C (rcworld.co.uk) are the same product designed and developed for use on Shopping mall and Gymnasium wooden floors, and for our USA friends its the same product as Minwax.

RST

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 12:37:04 am »

Just to say I perhaps like you always used Epoxy, but I recently tried it as this was a non-strength application....
  • It went on very well but to be honest it reminds me of something else I cant put my finger on
  • I used it with very lightweight glass cloth / roving -all good
  • It takes a lot of coats to just fill the glass cloth weave
  • If used on liteply (for example) it is quite tedious to fill the grain -epoxy is WAY better.
  • It doesn't "grip" like epoxy, I had an end of a skin lift straight off, lucky I caught it and flooded with more ezekote and managed to lay it back down OK
...Hmm, like almost every Deluxe product I try I'm not much more than 60% convinced.  Their cyanoacrilate is terrible compared to Zap but their supher phatic is great
  • However, If I'm building a balsa or obeche product hull -z-poxy and cloth, no brainer!
  • Ply hull -EZE Kote and many, many, allbeit water washed brush coats inbetween but EZe Kote does go on nicely, just can't help thinking I have this in a tin of varnish somewhere in the house that is the same thing

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 09:23:30 am »

FYI Eze-Kote and Poly-C (rcworld.co.uk) are the same product designed and developed for use on Shopping mall and Gymnasium wooden floors, and for our USA friends its the same product as Minwax.

I try and avoid the modelling price supplement where possible so please tell me which non modelling products are the same.

GrahamD

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 09:25:48 am »

Poly-c from www.rcworld.co.uk and its cheaper

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 09:52:02 am »

Poly-c from www.rcworld.co.uk and its cheaper

That is still a modelling product and I can't buy it locally. What would I buy it as if I wanted to refinish my gymnasium floor?

GrahamD

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2020, 09:56:44 am »

Ronseal XL floor sealant. (minimum order is 100 gallons  <:( , hence rcworld decant into small bottles for our use)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2020, 10:17:01 am »

Eze Kote does seem expensive but a little goes a long way. It dries quickly and sands well. On my current model I am using it to seal and stick down simulated planked decks. The boat is to 1:150 scale so I have printed out the planking lines on cream colour cartridge paper and bonded this to a thin ply underlay with Eze Kote with another coat on top to permeate the paper. As Eze Kote is transparent whan dry I then add a second coat, give it a fine sanding and then apply matt varnish. The planking can then be stuck to the sub deck either with wood glue or more Eze Kote. It all works very well.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2020, 10:45:40 am »

Ronseal XL floor sealant. (minimum order is 100 gallons  <:( , hence rcworld decant into small bottles for our use)
Thanks for that. I tend to buy larger bottles but 100 gallons is a little too much even for me!

GrahamD

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2020, 10:57:14 am »

I'm guilty of writing the original article in Model  World too many years ago.
I spent a long time (a few years at least) looking for an alternative to epoxy for covering model wings. Friends in the USA had had good results using "Min-wax" so I got a tin shipped to me by a friend via RAF Alconbury as it was not permitted via normal postage, and sought advice on the contents. Ronseal were fantastic help, and even took a sample to chemically examine it, and the closest chemically was their floor seal XL.

Unlike other varnishes or lacquers xl chemically bonds wood fibers and doesn't just sit on the top.

And before anyone asks even I have to buy it from rcworld at full price.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2020, 11:10:43 am »

Interesting about the bonding of fibres rather than just sitting on top.

Just to be clear as there are several Poly-C products. I think it is this one:
https://www.rcworld.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000067.pl?WD=poly%2Dc&PN=Poly%2DC%2D500ml%2DPolyC500%2Ehtml#SID=263

Please confirm.

PS I do wonder if Ronseal have changed the product name as I cannot find any reference to Ronseal XL floor sealant on my web search.

GrahamD

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2020, 11:19:58 am »

Yep that's the one

Floor sealant XL is trade only

chippy

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2021, 06:00:20 pm »

I recently found a firm in Stoke on Trent "Easy Composites. They sell a variety of resins and matting. Their technical dept is second to none. If you're not sure of something on their site, phone for good answers to your questions. or you might find it on their tutorial pages. Well worth a look. Hope this was of some use to somebody. Happy sailing
Mike.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 23 queries.