Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: new builder, finishing aeronaut diva  (Read 3406 times)

mark taylor

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
new builder, finishing aeronaut diva
« on: May 03, 2020, 06:28:16 pm »

Hi
this is my first build
i could do with some advice on finishing the aeronaut diva.
the roof is to be painted white, should i paint it first and then attach the aerial and horn or attach first?
similarly, the deck is to be varnished, should i attach rails, cleats, seats and then varnish or varnish the bare boat first and then attach.
also, up to now have been using pva glue, should i turn to superglue for the fittings?
sorry if it sounds really obvious but don't want to ruin it at this stage.
cheers
mark

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
Re: new builder, finishing aeronaut diva
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 04:41:36 pm »

I've just finished building a Diva - my first proper wooden kit.

I did all the brush painting/varnishing before attaching the accessories, as brushing around obstructions makes it much harder to get a reasonable finish.
I do drill all the mounting holes and test fit everything before painting/varnishing though.

I used superglue for the bits and bobs, as PVA doesn't work too well for metal and plastic. I try and apply the glue from the underneath/inside where possible, using a drop on a needle rather than straight from the bottle.

I used "canopy glue" to fit the windows. It's a bit like PVA, but is easy to clear up any mess with a damp kitchen towel before it dries, and it dries totally clear.

mark taylor

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 05:23:12 am »

Thanks for the advice! that's pretty much the direction i'm taking so glad to hear i'm on the right tracks. varnish and primer now done.
Really pleased about the suggestion of using a needle for the gluing of the final parrts, i was wondering how i would do that without making a mess and i will definately look out for some canopy glue.
Did you put the decals on? how is that done i wonder? also, not being german i don't particularly want a german flag so my flagpole will be looking pretty bare...
 :-))

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 10:12:51 am »

I didn't get any decals with my kit, so can't help with that. Are they waterslide decals, or sticky-back vinyl?

I've just completed another kit - a Krick Neptun tug. It came with some lasercut vinyl stickers for the name lettering, no obvious way of transferring the individual letters from the backing sheet to the model. I picked off the waste vinyl from the backing sheet, leaving just the letters. I then stuck a strip of masking tape on the front of the letters, and carefully pulled the tape and letters from the backing. Carefully positioned the tape over the model, rubbed down hard, and pulled the masking tape off.

If the decals are waterslide, they will need a coat of acrylic clear over the top when they have dried, or they will probably fall off when the boat is in the water.

I actually made a small tool for applying superglue to fix small parts.
I drilled a small hole into the end of a piece of wooden dowel (I used one of those fluted dowels that you get in flatpack furniture) and glued a small sewing pin into the hole. I snipped the end of the pin off, heated it to red heat and let it cool to soften the metal, then hammered it flat.
Makes it a lot easier to pick up a small drop of glue - it tends to run off too easily if you leave the point on the end.
The wooden handle makes it much easier to hold.

mark taylor

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 10:16:39 am »

Thanks very much, they are sticky backed so i will try just sticking them on. All finished otherwise except i'm missing any capacitors and spade for the motor so got to try and chase them up.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 01:36:43 pm »

Hi just seen this, my suggestion may be a bit late!  This sounds crazy but is the way to go.

Using warm water with a little washing up liquid, clean the area to stick on but leave wet.  Unpeal the vinyl decal in the warm water, make sure the glue side is wet as well. 
Then using a sponge as well, place the decal in place slide around until it is where you want it.  Sponge from the centre outwards squeeze out the water until dry and there are no bubbles.  Allow to dry.
If using fine lettering then just be very careful!
Regards
Roy

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 07:57:12 am »

Did you have any problem with the instructions for the Diva? I was given the kit as a Christmas present by my wife, mine has the glossy illustrated instructions in German, with a few sheets of A4 with what is supposed to be a translation of the German text in the colour version. However, it isn't. The numbered steps do not match at all, and nor do the part numbers. The translation appears to be for a different model.

I checked the downloads at Aero-Naut's website, and the English instructions are identical to the ones I got with my kit. Even the German instructions on the website are different to those that came with the kit!

I finally gave up trying to guess and typed several sections of the German text from the kit instructions into a translation site and now know how to put the hull together. So far, everything seems to fit well, but there are parts to do with the overlap of sides and bottom that are not at all clear without written instructions.

I really thought this would be a quick build, expected to get it done between Christmas and New Year. That was Christmas 2018, and I still haven't sheeted the hull!
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 08:10:50 am »

Hi the instructions with my Aeronaut Bella kit were very good lots of pictures in a small booklet.
regards
Roy

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 08:22:34 am »

Was the text in English? My Diva has an excellent colour booklet of instructions, but it is entirely in German. I was upstairs just now, comparing the pictures and my own (machine) translation with the included translation - it is definitely either from an earlier version of the kit or a completely different model. I plan to get going on it properly next week now I have a better idea of what to do.

I should add that I'm not a complete newcomer, I have been building model aircraft and the occasional boat since the late 1960s!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 08:43:40 am »

Hi Yes it was all in English.  Very nicely done with step by step line drawings and everything numbered with a key.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=ALeKk01Pq87XzH1ELC3y4tsRa75Z5NfjXA%3A1591442026024&ei=anrb

Roy

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 01:22:03 pm »

Unfortunately, that link simply takes me to a Google search page. If there are correct instructions for the Diva available, I would like to see them.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 01:32:09 pm »

Oh!  usually I can copy that and it goes across as a link.
I searched on google         Aeronaut Bella build instructions
That found me the full set of instructions.
Hope it works for you
Roy

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 01:52:05 pm »

Hi Roy, yes, I can find the Bella instructions by searching, but not the Diva, even on Aero Naut's own site it is wrong. But I am getting better at typing out the German instructions and if I get really stuck I can ask my neighbour, who is German.

Even with the wrong instructions, I am sufficiently impressed to have ordered the middle of the three cabin cruisers they make to go with the Diva.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 01:58:38 pm »

Hi Dave S they all look good very tempted but I usually scratch build which is really cheap when you see how much wood I have by me!
Of the 2 Aeronaut yachts the Bellisima (larger) was the first one then the Bella, the are identicle apart from scale.

I saw that one of our contributors had one for sale doesn't like rag and stick!
They started with warships if I remember correctly.

regards
Roy

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2020, 03:12:10 pm »

Hi,
I found exactly the same problem with the Diva instructions!
The English version i would imagine was done some years ago (probably when first produced)  and has never been updated with the changes/improvements to the German version - a real pity because as a first timer build for me i was very confused.

I ended up doing the same as you, i took the German instructions and translated them with Google translate. I also took the German instructions booklet (from the website) and ran the whole lot through in one go but decided to do it by hand as it helped me to think about each stage of the construction. At steps 12 to 17 i even printed the translations out and stuck them in the booklet! I've stopped doing that now :)

Some of the words don't translate correctly and i had to make "intelligent" guesses as to the correct word (i've stopped doing that now too as i get the idea now).
I haven't finished the Diva yet but i've translated up to step 48 - you're welcome to what i've done if you like.

Mark

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2020, 03:15:49 pm »

Thank you, Mark, but like you, I am finding the process of having to work out what they mean once translated literally is a good way of getting it into my head. The fact that I used to language edit translations for a living helps, of course - though my work was Finnish - English; I have no real knowledge of German at all - though I am picking some up as I go!

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2020, 03:34:32 pm »

I have been caught out a couple of times with not translating far enough ahead and there being clues in the later steps that help clarify the earlier ones.

The supplied prop shaft tube bearing was soldered on at a slight angle which meant the prop shaft wouldn't rotate (luckily i had already decided not to use) and i now think I have an issue with the rudder.

Good luck with the build.

Mark

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2020, 03:37:47 pm »

Thanks for the tips, Mark - I had already decided to change the prop shaft, and will keep a close eye on the supplied fittings.

I've got stages 1 to 17 translated now, and I'm up to stage 9 in the actual build. I think I'll try to complete the translation before going back to the actual build.

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2020, 03:48:53 pm »

Haha, I didn't have the patience to translate it all in one go - it's what i should have done then i would have saved on buying a standard size servo which is too big for the Diva :(
Still i'm sure i can use it in something else.

Mark

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2020, 04:19:51 pm »

Hi assuming you are not going to career round the lake my experience with a similar size fishing boat, about 10 watts power, then I use the very small 9grm servos, tuck in anywhere with about 1lb pull at 1 cm.
regards
Roy

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2020, 06:01:33 pm »

Hi Roy,
I decided to go with a brushless motor so it might go a bit quicker than the suggested 400 brushed.
The servo i opted for has a stall torque, at 4.8V of 2.0 kg/cm weighing 14.4g - i have no idea if that is enough torque for this type of application.
Hopefully, not a disaster when i eventually get it in the water!

Mark

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2020, 06:03:36 pm »

Mark, which motor did you go for? I've got a brushed speed 400 lined up for this, but wouldn't mind something a bit livelier!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2020, 06:10:08 pm »

I have played with small planing boats, some as experiments literally spun with the effect of the torque.  I came to the conclusion that just gently planing looked best where you can still see the boat and not just the spray.  Also ran for longer on a set of batteries.  I do not begrudge you your bit of fun though!
With other model boats on the lake I had thought to myself that modellers knew where their boat was, but not necessarily where it was going!
Happy building
Roy

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2020, 06:26:19 pm »

I agree with you, Roy, and was sailing my 3ft Robbe police boat today, originally it had a pair of brushed 385s, but it struggled. It now has a pair of 2836 brushless out runners, turning 3 blade 40mm props on a pair of 7.2V NiMH packs (one per motor). On full throttle it is too fast, but at half and below it is very scale like - and with extra power on tap if I need it. Even after a few full speed runs, the 30 amp ESCs were not warm to the touch, and I was on the water with the same pair of battery packs (3800 mAH) for about an hour - packed up because it was lunch time!

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2020, 06:27:26 pm »

Disclaimer: This is so far untried and i have no idea if this will be over/under or just right powered!

I got so overwhelmed with what's available and just bought one in the end from a UK supplier.
Having now physically seen the size of it (and tried to fit it in - the keel was in the way of it rotating), i would definitely have chosen a shorter body one.

It's a Overlander Thumper T2836/08.

Mark
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.