Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mtroniks Vtail set up  (Read 2039 times)

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Mtroniks Vtail set up
« on: May 04, 2020, 09:50:49 pm »

Evening all,

I'm hoping someone can shed some light as to what I might be doing wrong. I have two Mtronik tio 30amp ESC controlling two 600 size motors through a Mtroniks V tail marine mixer to eliminate the need for rudders. This is on a 12v set up.
I've followed the calibration set up word for word on the small manual they provide, I've removed the one power supply going to the mixer as they suggest.
When I try calibrating the two motors together as per the instructions, they re no where near right, one might start up, the other will kick in when it wants, there's no gradual increase of power. It's just very messy.
If I remove the mixer and try calibrating just one motor and esc on their own, everything works a treat. Just as a pair, it really doesn't want to play ball.
Can anyone make any suggestions please as to what I might of missed?

Many thanks

RST

Re: Mtroniks Vtail set up
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 11:36:15 pm »

I can't help directly on the mtronics mixer but you've not mentioned you checked that both shafts are running freely yet. Also are you testing in air or in the water in the  bath? They can both have an effect. Also what motors are you using and in what model. I know myself, "600" motors only covers a particular size, rather than type or supplier and can make a difference, there are some good motors I've have that size and some rougher ones.  More info the better is a better path to success I think.

Rich

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 11:51:02 pm »

Hi Dan I think V tail mixer is made for model tanks. The w tail is for model boats. Just type w tail on the net for full Info same v tail.

Stan.

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 07:45:17 am »

Thanks for the replies both.

Rich, at the moment the set up is being run on the bench before I install it into the boat, so there's no load on the motors yet. And the motors are mtroniks too. Like I said earlier, when I plug one esc and motor in for a single set up, it runs lovely and smooth, and I tried this with both motors and ESCs. As soon as they are mixed with the mixer, nothing seems to be playing ball.

Thanks Stan, I did read into it before I bought it and the description said ideal for twin screw boats. But I have also read a few times now after digging deeper that they're suited to tanks. But the unit even says marine mixer.

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 09:28:11 am »

Hi
As Stan said the "W" tail mixer is the one you need, I also made the same mistake.
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 09:47:19 am »

HI Dan the v tail is designed for models with two motors and no rudder. See the info sheet from M tronicks.

Stan.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 08:33:04 pm »

They can be tricky to set up correctly. Sometimes you need to switch the two connections over in the rx, the unit may be convinced forwards and reverse are in fact left and right! Also make sure all your trims are in neutral on the tx. To eliminate the possibility of a fault with the mixer, try connecting a pair of servos instead of speed controls to the mixer. you can always power up the system by plugging one of the speed controls into a spare port as a power supply only. If they are running smoothly then things get complicated!
What transmitter are you using?
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 09:37:33 pm »

Thanks all for the advice. I have managed to get everything running correctly, although it's very slightly jittery at low throttle input, however I'll keep going and sort that out over the next few days hopefully. After your help and comments, I do believe it may very well have been down to the trims. Although they were registering as central, both throttle and rudder needed a couple of clicks in either direction before calibrating the ESCs. I am using a cheaper TX rather than my preferred futaba set as this boat is actually a bait boat for fishing.
Thanks again everyone for the comments and advice

MartinL

• Full Mayhemer
  • Founder member Westham Ocean Racing Yacht Club
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 05:15:44 pm »

Dan, I had the same problem with my lifeboat, weather it's a genuine cure or not I
do not know but mine now works a treat. All I did was put one of those soft iron rings around each of the speed controller servo wires. (I think they are called chokes)? I borrowed them initially from helicopter Bec units.
Got to be worth a try.
Martin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.