Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: J Class Model Yacht & J Class HUlls  (Read 2260 times)

Rocbaroque

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
J Class Model Yacht & J Class HUlls
« on: May 09, 2020, 01:39:52 pm »

Hi I'm Rocbaroque and I am new to this site.  I have a 60" J Class Hull which I have had for a couple of years, die to various setbacks I have only at last recently made a start on the build.  I notice that there was another completed 'J' called Georgiana built by 'Ramon' with some photographs of the model sailing on a Norwich yacht pond.  I'm wondering if Ramon or others might be able to offer me some advice as to the 'fixed sheeting loop' and other bits of electronic gear, which I'm finding a bit complex as I haven't dealt with RC before.  I'm quite happy with the build side of things and enjoying the fitting out, it's just this sheeting loop and the RC!  My boat has a tapered carbon mast but I haven't ordered the sails yet.  Looking forward to hearing from Mayhem members!

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
Re: J Class Model Yacht & J Class HUlls
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 02:30:18 pm »

Hello,

I have a very large J Class, lots of pictures and info on my website.
You seem to have a "J Class Model" of which there are many of them in the UK.
Check for them in Model Clubs in the Midlands UK.
Have a look at my website at:   http://www.john-dowd.co.uk

John.   :-))
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 08:12:24 pm »

Bet you cannot wait to get her back in the water John  :-))
Steamed up all the time

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 08:44:09 pm »

Hello Phil,

That is a Bet you could not Hope to loose !!!!!!!!!!.

Very Best Regards !!!.

John.  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 02:33:15 pm »

Hi there Rocbaroque, and welcome to Mayhem.  I have the 48" J class and love every inch of it.  Regarding the sheeting loop, I have done mine as a single ended system, which I will describe below.  As your sail area is significantly more, you might need a beefier sail winch than my Hitec HS785-HB, but I must leave it to others to advise on that (or chat to Alan Horne, who will undoubtedly have all the answers you need).  Also, this is one of those cat-skinning exercises - there are many ways to make this work and mine is just one.  That said, here we go -

My main and jib sheets are attached to a traveller that runs along a carbon fibre tube.  The sail winch pulls the traveller in, but an elastic return system takes up the slack as the sheets are released.  Here is an overall picture of the system outside the boat -

And here is the sail winch end.  The winch sheeting line comes off the winch drum, goes off left to the traveller and returns to be made fast in the middle of the picture.  You can also see the turning block for the black return elastic.

The traveller is fabricated from PTFE pieces and, while it looks a little crude, actually works very well.  The winch sheeting line comes in from the right, round the turning block and back to be be fastened as in the previous picture.  The elastic return is fixed to the left end of the traveller.  Also fixed there are the mainsail and jib sheets, although only one is clipped on in the picture.

The other end of the carbon tube has a piece of ply that holds the various turning blocks, 2 for the sheets and one for the elastic.  You can see the mainsail sheet closest to the camera going round its turning block and off to the right to the traveller.  The jib sheet clip is up against its turning block but in action is clipped on the same as the mainsheet.

I hope that helps a little.  You also mention the RC system.  Assuming you will sheet the main and jib together, as I and most others do, you only need the simplest two channel system to go sailing.  That said, even the cheapest systems these days seem to come with plenty of bells and whistles, just don't worry about the frills.  You only need 2 channels.  If you buy a new radio it should come with a compatible receiver.  You will need a sail winch (as mentioned above) and a steering servo.  Any standard servo will do, you aren't asking it to withstand big loads.  Do connect everything up and play with it long before you install anything in the boat.  That way you can understand how it works and can play with getting the connectors in the right slots without having to fumble around under your deck.

Do keep us updated on progress - good luck

Greg

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 05:50:10 pm »

Hi sailorgreg. you are to be congratulated on a nice neat system looks well thought out.  Perhaps the original enquirer might not be aware that this comes out as a unit and is posted into the hull when in use?
I have a 40 inch loa Endeavour J Class and I do wonder if my standard servo copes with the load of the rudder as there is so much sail pressure on the yacht.  The rudder has had to be increased in area as well.  My J class is a sailing version of the Amati 1 : 35 kit.

Also Rocbaroque, re the main sail and boom.  Most models have the main boom shortened so that it lies in board of the stern.  This enables the model to have a back stay. 

On the full size there were two rear stays per side and the leeward set were loosened to enable the boom to swing across them when on a reach.

Best regards
Roy

MartinH

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2024, 09:03:32 am »

I recently finished my first model yacht, one of Alan Horne's 60" J class with a Genoa. She sails as if on rails, lovely boat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4q1LPFBB04
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.