Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PT109 build finally started  (Read 1850 times)

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
PT109 build finally started
« on: May 09, 2020, 08:25:17 pm »

Finally started this build today. Had the kit for 7-9 years or so. Built one in the 80s which used monoperms which struggled a bit with the supplied box standard props.
This one will be my first dabble with brushless motors. Looks like I need shorter shafts then the 10" ones I bought.
The box looks tatty as it has been wet & knocked about in the garage.
The Lindberg kit isn't bad. The motorizing kit is a bit toy like & best binned. As a model of Kennedy's boat it is poor. Plenty of info online though to improve it. My last one was pretty as per box. We'll see if I get carried away with this one.
Kits still appear on EBay occasionally. This one came from the USA and was about £100 with duties etc paid.
Lindberg also did a 36" Blue Devil destroyer, if I still have enthusiasm I'll fish that out & carry on with that build. That is harder as it has little freeboard, so deck sealing is harder.
Jim

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: PT109 build finally started
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 11:27:44 am »

HI Jim  looks like the box art work is a later one.  If I remembers my kit from many years ago all the plastic was moulded in grey. You will find on Mayhem many articles on converting the the Lindbergh Blue Devil kit. Should you get round to building this model the colour scheme applied to U S S Melvin was overhaul sea blue hence the name blue devil good luck with your build.

Stan.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 03:53:44 pm »

I've done a couple of these models - it's not the most accurate of models but it's nice & big so dead easy to convert.   

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 08:53:52 pm »

Thanks for the comment. Stan: apparently Lindberg did 5000 more kits and this is one of the later ones. Yes the early one was grey my last one I left the hull in that colour. This green is hideous so this one will be getting painted. Will be dark green.
Not sure how accurate this one will be, depends on A. my patience & B. how long the lock down lasts!
Plastic: what power does yours have?
Ordered some 6 & 7" shafts from Howes yesterday Also some double coupler adapters & another pair of couplings.
I have a spare set of Core R/C Tx & Rx around somewhere all I have to do is find it. Unfortunately rx are no longer available so will need a change of direction afterwards, Bit jacked off as the Core gear was very good & was 80 quid which is now a dead end.
Jim

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 07:04:21 am »

Plastic: what power does yours have?

Mine had 2x 600 brushed motors with cheapo '120A' Chinese ESCs with a V-tail mixer and a LiPo battery.    I fitted 4mm shafts with twin brass rudders.      All of the original running gear was junked.

If you've noticed, my avatar is one of my Blue Devils.

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 10:52:52 am »

Mine had 2x 600 brushed motors with cheapo '120A' Chinese ESCs with a V-tail mixer and a LiPo battery.    I fitted 4mm shafts with twin brass rudders.      All of the original running gear was junked.

If you've noticed, my avatar is one of my Blue Devils.
Yup Brass rudders on order for mine. 600 motors were bigger than I'd have been thinking. Before I jumped to Brushless I was looking at 380 size motors. The new ones are 4Max ones I think these. [size=78%]https://www.4-max.co.uk/po-2826-920.html[/size]
The idea is to run them at around 100-130 watts each.
As I said this is a dabble with brushless as I've never used them before.
Jim

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 02:07:22 pm »

I got the 600 motors cheap so that why they were fitted.   :-)

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 10:42:46 pm »

Well a bit more progress today. One issue of designing as it goes is ordering the wrong thing then having to order something different. The shafts I originally guessed at were 10" & were miles too long. Luckily Howes turnaround is pretty quick on delivery these days. So I ordered 6" & 7" shafts plus a double coupling. After some fiddling about the motors mounted to the half bulkhead that holds the gears for the Lindberg "Motorized"" conversion. I opened up the slots in hull for the M4 shafts & shortened the original support brackets. The props in the pic are 40mm, possibly too big but at least I know they fit. Also these are a LH/RH pair, there doesn't seem to be any 35mm sets around at the moment.
Jim

RST

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 11:13:27 pm »

Hi.  Very envious of the space you have in that hull!  On my smaller 1:48th kit conversion I used a shaft way too long (just because I had it) but worked out OK in the end because a mini 1,600mah 7.2v battery pack fitted in just perfectly balanced over it!  Never get that lucky normally!!

I agree, there seems a shortage of 35mm props for some time now as I was looking for some recently.  Mine has single speed 400 c/w 20mm 2 blade "high speed" brass raboesh prop -and the hull can't really go any faster at a tad over 50% out of the water but can aerate a bit when turning.  My rudders are tiny compared to yours, even after scale, I think you need at least 2 sizes down on the list there (cheap enough to replace and use the same stock sizes so no need to change the rudder tubes)!

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 11:35:17 pm »

Only one size smaller that these and they are the same length just fractionally smaller chord. I can always cut them down. Never had an issue with too big a rudder but had issues in the past with t[size=78%]oo small.[/size]
Jim

RST

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 12:45:29 am »

Yes of course.  Your plastic props look more like scale ones anyway so I dont imagine they'll overload the motors much.  But I personally would look at smaller higher speed ones -nothing really wrong with plastic props apart from looks, more they're right for the application.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.