Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 46" raf cRASH tENDER  (Read 1595 times)

Tamar

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
46" raf cRASH tENDER
« on: May 11, 2020, 02:59:29 pm »

[size=78%]Hi ~ I am making a wooden 46" RAF Crash Tender ~ I am used to 36" Plastic / GRP Boats and use the same brushless motor that performs well on my Club (DMBC ) pond . I am the only member of my club (Dolphin Model Boat Club ) that use  brushless motors and sadly the 'go to member ' died last year .Someone from another club ( with a much bigger pond ) advised to  buy a motor with 2200KV and 1200 Watt output with a 120 Amp ESC ~ with a bit of research it would appear that this power source will make the boat go ballistic  which will not be suitable for my relatively small pond . I have already sunk the prop shaft ( single screw ) to take up to 45mm prop and the motor mount is 540 size ( in old money ) or face diameter 35mm ( if this makes sense ) If anyone has already built this model or a Huntsman / MTB etc  with a brushless motor ( or anyone that can suggest explain what motor would be suitable )  please let me know what motor ( name / model no / KV / Power output    . I would realy appreciate any help anyone can give me , regards Ray[/size]

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 46" raf cRASH tENDER
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 03:22:48 pm »

Hi Tamer

welcome sorry that I am unable to help with your question on brushless motors but some one will be along soon.

You say you are a member of Dolphin MBC would that be the one on sevenoaks Way Orpington? if it is then I used to be a member some time back, in the day's of Roy Buckley - John Kilbey - Burenie Wood - Colin Ruffell, just to name a few of the members in my time.

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

Tamar

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 03:48:15 pm »

Hi Fred , thanks for replying , yes it is the Club in Orpington ~ I have only been a member for about 3/4 years ( I was a member of Bromley Boat Club many years ago ) ~ so do not know the names of Members when you were in the Group ~ many thanks ~ keep safe ~ Regards Ray

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 06:13:57 pm »

Welcome Ray, always nice to see a new member.  I run a similar sized boat on a motor very similar to this Leopard motor from Component Shop.  (The actual motor I have is a Hobbyking one and is no longer available, and I note Component Shop only have 2 of theirs left, so if you want one, don't hang about.)  Performance is excellent without being too scary, but you could go down to around 900 kv and not notice much (any?) difference.

Greg

Tamar

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 07:49:11 pm »

[size=0pt]Hi Greg , Wow , firstly thanks to you and Fred for such a quick reply , secondly thanks for the recommendation you have made . Vintage Model Boats makes a suggestion ( no specs ) , but it is too a HobbyKing Motor that is no longer available . As I previously mentioned I run a LC3536-8T 960KV Outrunners in my 36” Boats on a 3S Lipo and get a zippy response from it ~ I buy these from Component Shop as I cannot find this model elsewhere . I use Component Shop a lot and usually speak to Kai ( not sure if this is the correct spelling of his name ) ~ I phoned Kai before Easter and told him what I needed ~ Kai could not tell me what motor to use , but had a word with Iain ( who presumably understands the properties of Brushless Motors)  [/size]~ ironically he suggested the LC3536-7T 1100 KV Outrunner ( the model you sent me a link to ~ another skill I cannot do )  . I have tried to speak to Iain , but since Easter Components Shop has been inundated and he has not been available . I do not know the properties / ramifications of KV and Power ~ in my mind the difference from 960KV to 1100KV does not seem powerful enough to power a boat much heavier than my other boats . I do not really want to use a motor that has a wider face than 35mm ( 540 size ) as I have set the boat up for that size motor ( the LC3536 has a width of 35mm ) . The only way I could possibly fit a motor wider than 35mm without ripping out the prop shaft will be to extend the prop shaft . so in your opinion the 1100KV motor should give me a good performance ~ no need to go for the LC4250-5T 960KV Outrunner .
[size=0pt]Another question piece of advice please ~ If I use the 1100KV motor the max current will be 42amps ~ can I still use the 120amp ESC I already have , or should I use a smaller powered ESC . If I use the 120amp ESC the power leads are 10 gauge wire and motor connections 12 gauge wire ~ I use 14 gauge wire and a 60amp Fusion ESC’s with my other boats . Question . if I install the 120amp ESC can I use thinner wire 12 / 14 gauge ~ the treason for asking is I am not very clever with solder and I think I will struggle soldering 10 gauge to the switch and fuse box ~ I have 5mm bullet connectors so will make a neat connection from 10 g to 12/14 g .[/size]
[size=0pt]I hope you can make sense of my ramblings and once again thank you in advance for your patience and advice ~ incidentally I am not new to model boats as I have been playing with boats for 60 years , starting with pulling a plastic boat on a piece of string round Blackheath pond  [/size], progressing to Triang motorised boat , buying my first Futaba single channel radio and now making boats that have sound units and powered monitors ~ regards Ray ~ Keep Safe

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 10:43:16 pm »

Your 120A speed controller will work just fine - it will be overkill as you shouldn't get anywhere near that with the sort of set up we are talking about, but as you have it, use it.  And you only need wire suitable for the motor you are using - whatever works for your 60A Fusion ESC should be fine here. 

Greg

Tamar

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 02:58:18 pm »

Hi ,

I hope you are all keeping well in these extraordinary and trying times . I decided to buy the LC3536-7T 1100KV Leopard Motor with 538 max power , I decided to try this motor as I really have no ‘wiggle room’ to fit any motors with a  bigger  diameter of 35mm ~ I will also use the 120 amp Turnighy ESC.
I am now looking at setting up my ESC and have a programming card , but I have very little information on how to use the programming card .

1.       When I raced cars a friend would programme the ESC’s and one thing I remember is to make sure the servo lead is the correct polarity as if it was not it would damage the programming card ~ could anyone give me some help on the right way to connect the servo lead . On the Programming Card I have 3 symbols ‘v’ ( that is what it looks like ) ‘+’ and ‘-‘ The servo lead is not a Futaba one as the colours are Yellow Red and Brown . I think the Yellow goes  to ‘v’ and the Brown goes to ‘-‘ , but really do not want to blow the card up .
2.       As I said there are no instructions with the Programming Card and the ESC instructions do not seem to relate to using the radio handset rather than the card . There are 5 separate modes .

·         Running Mode ~ Options > forward ( in blue ) or forward / reverse ~ this is elf explanatory
·         Motor Direction ~ Options > 1 CW ( in blue ) or CCW ~ I have no idea what this is and which option to use
·         Low Voltage Protection ~ Option > 2.6v , 28v , 3.0v , 3.2v ( in blue ) or 3.4 v . There seems no to input that a Lipo is being used , so I am assuming that this LVP is designed to protect the Lipo from being completely discharged  ~ I have no idea what this is and which option to use
·         Start Mode ( Punch ) ~ Options > Level 1 , Level 2  , Level 3 ( in blue ) , Level 4 and Level 5  ~ I have no idea what this is and which option to use
·         Timing Set ~ Options > 0’ , 3.75’ , 11.25’ , 15 ( in blue ) , 18.75’ , 22.5’ or 26.25’ ~ I have no idea what this is and which option to use
It seems to me that the properties in ‘ blue lettering ‘ might be the ones to use ( with the exception of direction as clearly I need forward and reverse . As usual I would really appreciate some advice and steer on how to connect the card to the ESC and what settings to use in all 5 modes ~ many thanks Ray and keep safe

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 08:39:54 pm »

Hi ,

1.When I raced cars a friend would programme the ESC’s and one thing I remember is to make sure the servo lead is the correct polarity as if it was not it would damage the programming card ~ could anyone give me some help on the right way to connect the servo lead . On the Programming Card I have 3 symbols ‘v’ ( that is what it looks like ) ‘+’ and ‘-‘ The servo lead is not a Futaba one as the colours are Yellow Red and Brown . I think the Yellow goes  to ‘v’ and the Brown goes to ‘-‘ , but really do not want to blow the card up .
The 'v' or ~ is the symbol for the signal lead, this will be yellow on your lead, red is + and brown is -.

2.As I said there are no instructions with the Programming Card and the ESC instructions do not seem to relate to using the radio handset rather than the card . There are 5 separate modes .
 programming cards are stand alone and are a replacement for programming using the Transmitter.
·
Motor Direction ~ Options > 1 CW ( in blue ) or CCW ~ I have no idea what this is and which option to useThis is the direction the motor rotates, CW is clockwise and CCW is counterclockwise. Stick with the default, if it ends up turningthe wrong way just swap over two of the motor leads.
·Low Voltage Protection ~ Option > 2.6v , 28v , 3.0v , 3.2v ( in blue ) or 3.4 v . There seems no to input that a Lipo is being used , so I am assuming that this LVP is designed to protect the Lipo from being completely discharged  ~ I have no idea what this is and which option to useThis is the low voltage protection for the LiPo, just stick with the default option of 3.2V. This will give a suitable cutoff to protect your cells.
·Start Mode ( Punch ) ~ Options > Level 1 , Level 2  , Level 3 ( in blue ) , Level 4 and Level 5  ~ I have no idea what this is and which option to use
·Timing Set ~ Options > 0’ , 3.75’ , 11.25’ , 15 ( in blue ) , 18.75’ , 22.5’ or 26.25’ ~ I have no idea what this is and which option to useFor these two just stick to default.
It seems to me that the properties in ‘ blue lettering ‘ might be the ones to use ( with the exception of direction as clearly I need forward and reverse . As usual I would really appreciate some advice and steer on how to connect the card to the ESC and what settings to use in all 5 modes ~ many thanks Ray and keep safe
You will possibly need a receiver battery to power the programming card once connected to the esc. If so the card will have a second socket to connect the battery to.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Tamar

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 12:09:26 pm »

Hi Jim , Many thanks for replying quickly ~ you have made it all clear to me now , I will program my ESC ~ many thanks , keep safe
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.