Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Back to the Pond?  (Read 5087 times)

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
Back to the Pond?
« on: May 11, 2020, 04:20:10 pm »

Always assuming that you are not in a very vulnerable group and that you obey the distancing regulations it appears to me that from Wednesday it will be legal to go back to the pond for a sail and / or a picnic.

Is that how others are interpreting the PM's broadcast last night?

Note that I am talking about the pond rather than any club house etc.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: Back to the Pond?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 04:23:56 pm »

In regards sailing, No, I have not interpreted it that way.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 04:30:59 pm »

Why not? This grab off the BBC website seems to me to say that I can go to the park without the prupose being exercise & that I can then stay for as long as I want.

I have added a grab of the GOV guidelines as published. (thank you Colin)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 04:31:51 pm »

Could be a grey area.

Here is today's guidance:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

Plus BJ said this afternoon that you can swim in lakes and the sea so why not run a boat (but not as part of a group presumably) - just one other person outside your household. Simply one of no doubt thousands of queries that people will be asking. (and probably not getting definitive answers).

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 04:40:35 pm »

What is grey about it?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 04:47:11 pm »

On the face of it not grey at all, I'm just thinking of how a park keeper might choose to interpret it. It could depend on the  circumstances, i.e. don't block a path etc. and of course some jobsworth member of the public will complain and another official one will be happy to act on it.

But I agree we shouldn't be too pessimistic, I would certainly be willing to give it a try. But not just yet as the water I sail at is in a Royal Park 25 miles away and there are other places I want to go to first after the limited horizons of the last few weeks.

Colin

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 04:49:05 pm »

I'm just thinking of how a park keeper might choose to interpret it

What's are they, not seen one of them in an ice age.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 05:04:23 pm »

OK, local council or other official then...

Just a hypothetical question:

You have 8 model boaters standing along the bank all observing a 2 metre distance between them. Can they argue that they are four pairs from separate households or would it treated as a social gathering?

It will be interesting to see somebody test that one and explain to the kindly policeman..

Colin

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 05:52:30 pm »

A nice thought. Where I sail is private - it belongs to a Trust - and there were already serious groundworks going on when this thing hit. I'm living in hope but I doubt if Papplewick will be open this side of autumn, even if it manages to survive financially.
Bummer, innit?  http://papplewickpumpingstation.org.uk/
DaveM

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 05:53:53 pm »

OK, local council or other official then...

Just a hypothetical question:

You have 8 model boaters standing along the bank all observing a 2 metre distance between them. Can they argue that they are four pairs from separate households or would it treated as a social gathering?

It will be interesting to see somebody test that one and explain to the kindly policeman..

Colin

I think it would be hard to argue that it was pure coincidence that brought 8 model boat enthusiasts to the same place at the same time, especially if it was known that XYZ Model Boat Club also met at that place every week.

My club is in a difficult situation as our water is inside a holiday village (it used to be the boating lake in more free and easy times), which is firmly closed at the moment so even if model boating was allowed we probably won't be able to get to the water until hotels etc. are allowed to open.  >:-o >:-o

Greg

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 06:07:13 pm »

Here in Wales we are still in lockdown, so nothing changes as yet.
However as mentioned in another topic, we have now had a preliminary discussion with our council about how we will eventually return to model boating in the public park.

We have plenty of lakeside for every member to be 3 metres apart so that is not a problem, but the club will be responsible for ensuring a 2 metre separation between all club members and any passing members of the public.  That is harder to achieve.
We have reached a broad agreement that we will control our models from a specially fenced off area, 4 metres back from the lake side footpath. Members inside the enclosure will be spread out sufficiently that any person can move from their spot to the enclosure gate while maintaining the 2 metre rule. Boats will be launched from a small enclosure fenced off from the public.   Members can travel between our enclosures in just the same way as any member of the public uses the same space.   The council will even provide the fenced enclosures.   

Turning up and hoping doesn't count as a plan; councils love plans and H&S policies and confirmation that your insurer is happy. Then it is just plain sailing.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 06:54:26 pm »

Problem is and I am sure every club  / group has a member who feels that the rules do not apply to them.   :police: :police:

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 07:54:07 pm »

And yet you can go back to work and lay bricks for 8 hours, but then sailing a model boat doesn't help the economy which it seems to me to be the governments main agender.

Joe

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 08:04:12 pm »

Having checked today with our council  we are on hold until the end of May. If we get the OK then a full method statement and risk assessment will be needed to satisfy them we can operate a safe distance policy. On the other hand we could be in lock down again should we see infections rising. Sadly we are far from being out of the woods

Stan.

madboats

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 09:03:15 pm »

Perhaps we should think about the NHS staff who have lost there lives trying to save life along with the rest souls who have lost there life's   before you rush in to shed and charge your battery's. to go sailing. On the other hand you could go out and buy a fishing rod and go fishing   just been watching Covid Q&A on ITV  anglers can go fishing again hope they stop and think before they get there rods out there,s a lot      more of them than us.we are not out of the woods yet

Stay Staf

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2020, 09:49:53 pm »

And so the stampede will start.. %% %% %%

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2020, 10:02:46 pm »

At the moment I am still thinning of putting wheels on my boats.....oh.......still am not allowed out even with a model car over here.....the model plot continues....... :-))
Steamed up all the time

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2020, 10:03:59 pm »

I think we all recognize with gratitude the efforts of the NHS staff, other carers and the people who keep the wheels turning such as supermarket workers, transport staff and many others. And at the eventual end of this terrible episode we will salute them with the recognition they deserve.

But I don't think anyone here is advocating undermining them by breaking the rules. If it is considered pretty safe to stay apart in the open air, which seems logical to me, then it should be OK to carry out activities which fall within the new guidelines. Being out in the open air is good for everyone, both physically and mentally and should give us a bit of a lift. In doing so we are not adding to the burden on the NHS, quite the opposite probably.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2020, 10:16:37 pm »

I think we all recognize with gratitude the efforts of the NHS staff, other carers and the people who keep the wheels turning such as supermarket workers, transport staff and many others. And at the eventual end of this terrible episode we will salute them with the recognition they deserve.

But I don't think anyone here is advocating undermining them by breaking the rules. If it is considered pretty safe to stay apart in the open air, which seems logical to me, then it should be OK to carry out activities which fall within the new guidelines. Being out in the open air is good for everyone, both physically and mentally and should give us a bit of a lift. In doing so we are not adding to the burden on the NHS, quite the opposite probably.

Colin

Totally agree.

I am respecting everybody else, and myself, by keeping a safe distance which will be rather more than 2 metres and preferably up wind of anybody remotely that close.

I will not be touching anything that anyone else might have touched and I will have water, soap & towel with me to wash my hands frequently.

I just feel so sorry for all those involved in the crowded pictures taken this morning on commuter & underground trains. I am sure that many of them are caught between a rock & a hard place & intend no disrespect.

RST

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2020, 10:35:53 pm »

I think we have to remember everyone else out there still able to keep a reduced society going also!  I'm shocked the N,S,W and E guidelines are splitting off. But also there must be a sensible way out. I put pubs and clubs on last of the list but a sensible use of outdoor space should be achievable if we are sensible (no such thing as common sense though!!!!).  A proper plan should be concocted for those with organised ponds.  We can separate in shops so far so it must be do-able at the pond side. 

Flippantly speaking:  I guess those of us still running 40 and 27mhz transmitters might have some benefit still.  We can wrap the end of te aerial or I see a small market for a slip-on rubber fingertip, anyone coming closer we could give a bit of a safe "poke" back.  One of these on the end of the aerial maybe...

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2020, 10:50:10 pm »

I am slightly  - make that very - confused by the "you can meet one other person from another household" permission.  Does that mean you have to nominate one other person to be your "Corona Buddy" and can only meet them, or can you meet a whole succession of individuals one after the other?  Have I missed something?

Greg

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2020, 10:54:44 pm »

One after the other, one on one at the moment so you could organise a socially distanced queue!

Colin

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2020, 11:50:58 am »

From what I have read so far you nominate one other household to be in your social bubble, you can meet them and they can meet you. You cannot meet any others and they cannot nominate another household. So two can meet up but only if there are no others there as it then becomes a gathering. So each pair can have an hour at the pond on a specific day then leave. The next pair can have an hours sail and so on, as long as each pair doesn't meet together.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2020, 12:07:16 pm »

The social bubble idea is not in effect at the moment, it might be possible in a month or two but when it does, if you nominate your sailing mates you will be excluding your family!

As from tomorrow, Wednesday 13 May you could arrange to meet up with one sailing mate at the pond and sail your boats as long as you don't come within 2 metres of each other. The next day you could meet andother sailing mate and do the same. This is nothing at all to do with the social bubble concept.

You could have a read of this commenteray which highlights the confusion of it all:

https://lustigletter.blogspot.com/2020/05/covid-19-reagan-thatcher-legacy.html?fbclid=IwAR2snS5sa9BjtTiH8UbyU9c_JYGoUC-8gckMO7Fvk-Y7W2Aku2fk7nX5J9M

Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2020, 12:26:03 pm »

There is a post on the Model Boats forum which says that Wicksteed Park will be allowing cars into the park from tomorrow so presumably those of you in the area could run your boats.

Colin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.