Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mayhem website being blocked by Malawarebytes.  (Read 3938 times)

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
Mayhem website being blocked by Malawarebytes.
« on: May 14, 2020, 07:22:51 pm »

Just installed Malwarebytes premium  free   courtesy of NatWest and  though this site is always labelled  not secure in the address bar  Malwarebytes actually blocks it?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Malwarebytes
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 10:54:31 pm »

Can you make 'exceptions' in Malwarebytes ?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 09:25:12 am »

Sorry  Martin yes you can I only got it as its free for a couple of years :}

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 10:37:57 am »

I had the free Malwarebyes installed. It was pretty good but I got so fed up with repeated screen prompts to upgrade to the pro version that eventually I uninstalled it. I now use Sophos which runs quietly in the background and doesn't keep pestering me to spend more money!
DaveM

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 10:47:28 am »

Mines is the premium paid for version but  free from the bank

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 11:26:18 am »

I have used Malwarebytes free for 20 years!
The only time they ask if I want to upgrade is when a new versions is launched which always has a free 2 week trial of the full version and then asks if you want to pay for the full version of go back to the updated free version. This happens a couple of times a year. Hardly high pressure selling.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 01:41:41 pm »

I have used Malwarebytes free for 20 years!
The only time they ask if I want to upgrade is when a new versions is launched which always has a free 2 week trial of the full version and then asks if you want to pay for the full version of go back to the updated free version. This happens a couple of times a year. Hardly high pressure selling.
Did that but the damned reminder just wouldn't stop popping up. Not high-pressure, to be sure - just irritating.
DM

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 01:44:39 pm »

Did that but the damned reminder just wouldn't stop popping up. Not high-pressure, to be sure - just irritating.
DM

Never had that happen.

Jaymac
I am looking at opening a small Natwest savings account to get the full version free. Thanks for the information. Can it be any account that has internet access or is it just if you have a current account?

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 03:08:40 pm »

Not sure Tug  might be only online ones and it is only till at least 2022

RST

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 08:57:19 pm »

Just to say I'm with RBS and RBS and Natwest are essentially the same apart from name these days.  I'm being punted the same from RBS at the moment.  Beware Greeks bearing gifts.  There is absolutely no way you get anything for free, life just doesn't work like that.  Once bitten twice shy with this company's free software offers.  Been there got the T-shirt and burned it afterwards and took proper protection.  I'm not knocking malwarebytes at all.  I swear by it -I changed to it proper when Kaspersky got a little bit too much for what it offered, the bank has a history of not offering quite the same product for free, and full of bugs.  Just be careful of what you are looking for.  If you have internet banking, you are crazy not to have a decent security software in place anyway so the bank offers are a bit insulting.  Bit like RBS / Natwests other insurance policies.  Not opening up a debate but just be weary I'd say!

PS two similar threads running so perhaps benefit from amalgamation.

Rich

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 09:51:38 pm »

Agreed it doesn't work for me.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 11:34:23 am »

Malwarebytes is an excellent product. It is the only anti virus software I will use with Microsoft's rubbish operating system. It catches and removes virus' others do not.  Kaspersky? Russian crap, use it at your peril.
I run Linux OS on my laptop and only switch to Win 10 on a must need basis which is, thankfully, very, very rare. Linux doesnt really need AV but if you really want a belt and braces job, there is some out there for it.
https://linuxhint.com/why_no_antivirus_linux/

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 12:31:29 pm »

Malwarebytes is an excellent product. It is the only anti virus software I will use with Microsoft's rubbish operating system. It catches and removes virus' others do not.  Kaspersky? Russian crap, use it at your peril.
I run Linux OS on my laptop and only switch to Win 10 on a must need basis which is, thankfully, very, very rare. Linux doesnt really need AV but if you really want a belt and braces job, there is some out there for it.
https://linuxhint.com/why_no_antivirus_linux/

You may well be right about Linux but your comment on Kaspersky as "Russian Crap" is unfair to one of the best anti virus packages out there and enters the area of conspiracy theory.

The US may not trust it, but the United Nations does, and I am not inclined to accept the paranoia, nor the privacy invasion of non US citizens, practiced by the US govt. We don't know what information any software that we use collects about us but at least Kaspersky does a good job as an extended anti virus package..

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
Mayhem website being blocked by Malawarebytes.
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2020, 04:09:06 pm »

Just had a warning flagged by Malawarebytes that this site is Malware with a tracker. Had to add it to the allowed list.
Jim

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mayhem website being blocked by Malawarebytes.
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2020, 04:41:17 pm »

Yes I get that even after I have added it to the list

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2020, 05:49:04 pm »

Topics merged - I'll run another AV scan again tonight.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 08:02:36 pm »

Just to add that I had Mayhem in my OK list but it was when I fired up the mayhem forum that it complained. That started tonight, I've now add the forum URL & it is OK.
Jim

RST

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2020, 08:18:41 pm »

...check out any weblinks or posts pertaining to "shipspotting".  My malwarebytes just won't go anywhere near it and I've seen a few links back to it recently which has a knock-on effect through the forum for me.  I don't know what malwarebytes doesn't like about it but I can't get past it at all -even indirectly.  I've twigged recently those links  are giving me jip with virus checker.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2020, 10:04:01 pm »

You may well be right about Linux but your comment on Kaspersky as "Russian Crap" is unfair to one of the best anti virus packages out there and enters the area of conspiracy theory.

The US may not trust it, but the United Nations does, and I am not inclined to accept the paranoia, nor the privacy invasion of non US citizens, practiced by the US govt. We don't know what information any software that we use collects about us but at least Kaspersky does a good job as an extended anti virus package..
Apologies if you dont like my comment about Kaspersky. I base my comments on actually installing, configuring and using it. It was rubbish and caused far more conflicts on a number of pc's in the household than any other piece of AV software Ive ever used.

BTW, I worked in IT from the early 90s. I mention that just to show my background rather than any political, governmental association or off the top of my head comment.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2020, 10:26:17 pm »

I just have a MacBook Air with no third party add ons. Never had any virus or malware issues ever.
Apple look after their users all in the purchase price. No new operating systems at upgrade cost, all free as long as your machine breathes
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2020, 11:23:19 pm »

Full AV scan complete - "No Virus Found".

RST

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2020, 11:36:48 pm »

Apple look after their users all in the purchase price. No new operating systems at upgrade cost, all free as long as your machine breathes

...if you genuinely believe that then I admire you and wish you well on your way.  Reality check everyone else please?

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2020, 09:14:28 am »

Just like Microsoft, older Apple machines will not run the latest OS or software.  :police:
Don't Assume Check

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2020, 09:58:59 am »

How old is old? my original Mac air is 7 yrs and still going strong and starts up quick as a flash. Just this week it automatically updated the latest OS. In all that time I have not had to spend a penny on additional software and or antisocial slow your machine down rubbish  {-)
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2020, 10:34:22 am »

How old is old? my original Mac air is 7 yrs and still going strong and starts up quick as a flash. Just this week it automatically updated the latest OS. In all that time I have not had to spend a penny on additional software and or antisocial slow your machine down rubbish  {-)

I have a Windows laptop that is nearly 12 years old & it is on the latest Windows version & I have never used any software that cost me anything. It also cost a fraction of what an Apple would have cost. You pays your money and takes your choice.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.