Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Dean's Marine HMS Manxman upgrade lasercut plastic  (Read 14808 times)

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
Re: Dean's Marine HMS Manxman upgrade lasercut plastic
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2020, 10:50:42 am »

So it will be two Sgt's talking to each other... {-)   and when does the flight com into the equation {-)

@Ian..
What I do is hollow the fittings out, then install a micro LED..

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2020, 12:14:03 pm »

So it will be two Sgt's talking to each other... {-)   and when does the flight com into the equation {-)

When he gets told he can! After all, we know the military is run by the NCOs, officers only think they do... ;)
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2020, 10:17:21 pm »

Update

I have fitted the updated running gear, I decided on having exposed prop shafts and used some custom made ones from SHG Models. The new props are lovely cast bronze items from Prop Shop as are the A-frames. Rudder is temporarily sitting in place but the shafts and A-frames are permanently attached using a mix of P38 and P40 car filler. Very pleased with the results.
Nick B

pokherman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2020, 03:30:45 pm »

Looks really good!

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2020, 10:23:01 pm »

Thanks Ian :-))

A bit more progress this evening. I’ve started to use the photo-etch parts from the kit, the windscreen which is very sturdy for a piece of PE brass. I’m using some etch brass eyebrows for the portholes which I believe I’ve had for a few years but can’t quite remember where they are from! Using photo references I’ve started to add vents to the bridge superstructure using plastic strut.
Nick B

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2020, 06:42:28 am »

Coming along nicely. . :-))

Those porthole eyebrows might be from the group I bring over to the deansmarine open days..

I like the way of trying to hide the tin of paint...  {-) %% :D :embarrassed:

pokherman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2020, 08:53:11 am »

Nice detail to add with the port holes! And the vents.. I bought a book called "very special ships" to learn about these boats a little more.. have to say though.. there are no pictures of the Manxman with her dazzle effect in play.. buy on the flip side of that I do like the Abdiel dazzle effect.. very similar just sharper angles.. I'm waiting for parts to arrive for mine as I have ordered bits from micromaster.. hopping they will arrive soon.

Keep up the good work it's looking really good.

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2020, 12:51:14 pm »

Many years ago I was considering this build so I collected a good few photos of the class and all but Manxman showed some dazzle pattern or other. All the photos of Manx showed her either with nothing or wearing the dummy hull shape on her side.

By the way instead of Manxman I built a 1/24 S100 S boat instead.
Keep up with the log, as I'm enjoying your build. I saw Manxman in Portsmouth just prior to scrapping and one of my bosses was Navigator on Manxman when she took part in a movie. I can't remember the name of it unfortunately.

pokherman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2020, 01:50:24 pm »

I think the film was " the king's sailer " or something like that.. I watched a clip of it a while a go. They had triple turrets on the front though 🤔🤔 so I think it was a mix of ships used possibly?

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2020, 11:16:40 pm »

Very nice! I have always appreciated her look, and her history.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2020, 09:44:02 pm »

Glad everyone is liking the build so far. :-))
The bridge superstructure is being detailed with plastic strip around the conning position and the crew shelter for the forward upper twin 4 inch gun. The kit watertight doors are very nice and add a nice level of detail. I’ve loosely assembled the two forward twin 4-inch guns minus shields just to see how it all looks.

Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2020, 10:08:23 pm »

Looking great Nick!

Is the brass etch .5mm? I use it in one of the its I sell for rails on a Bedford Portee, and it is very rugged for it's thickness as you say. I was impressed when I first test fitted some.
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2020, 10:32:45 pm »

Thanks Ian :-))

Just measured the brass and I think it’s thinner than that possibly closer to 0.25mm. It’s amazingly tough though!
I’ll speak to Ron this weekend to find out about the actual brass and thickness as it’s very impressive/ usually I struggle with PE!

Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2020, 10:14:18 pm »

.3mm rings a bell as a standard thickness available along with .5 and .75/.8mm. I assume there are thicker etch is available, but I expect t would cost a lot more as the etching is where the cost comes in. The more holes you want, the more it costs.
Pond weed is your enemy

pokherman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2020, 03:58:45 am »

I'd agree with that the etching is expensive.. I found that there was not enough Ladders in my sheet I had in my kit.. I was short by about 10 inches of it.. I couldn't believe that there was Ladders only one side of the boat, ie like the plans show. But I took a load of pictures of deans ship they have on the shelf. And yes to my belief there are indeed Ladders both sides of the boat in relevant places, another item on the etch sheet that there is a low number of is the support stanchions. I believe that they are probably a good 10 to 16 short as well.. if you are to go by scale. Then these are supposed to be in every 5th or 6th post. Again I can't do this so I'm having to make alternative decisions.. I'm hoping it is just my kit. Same as the brass wire for the railings and also the masks..

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2020, 09:52:23 am »

I'd agree with that the etching is expensive.. I found that there was not enough Ladders in my sheet I had in my kit.. I was short by about 10 inches of it.. I couldn't believe that there was Ladders only one side of the boat, ie like the plans show.

It might have been worth looking around for a generic set of ladders at a more reasonable price - these at Scalewarship perhaps:

https://www.scalewarship.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=82_74&product_id=108

On the subject of brass thickness for PE,  I used PPD Photoetch earlier this year to do the etching for me of a self drawn sheet of various items I needed for a WW2 destroyer in 1/200th.  They offer a wide range of thicknesses from 0.1mm up to 4mm typically increasing in 0.05 mm steps up to about 0.7mm.  As my model is a working one I went for 0.3mm in the end for robustness when handling it but this meant the minimum width of an etched item would have to be 0.4mm which was acceptable.

On costs, the total charge for a useable etched area of 27cm by 40cm was around £90 for a single sheet but each additional copy of that sheet would have only cost another £24 - over half the costs were the one-off costs for the set-up of the Photoetch mask.  It did take a while to master a suitable drawing software programme - Inkscape in my case - but it has opened a whole new field of possibilities for me in the future to produce what I need for a particular model.

JohnG

• Full Mayhemer
  • enjoying the learning
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2020, 04:09:12 pm »

thanks for the ladders link - been keeping an eye out for similar... 

lovely to see the detail nick - inspiring...

pokherman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2020, 04:28:09 pm »

Has there been any more progress?
Apart from some programming my boat is done !

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2020, 04:32:26 pm »

Would have been almost finished if I had been allowed to go to my barracks where the model is but because of people I work with I’ve been force to self isolate at home for the last 10 days. Just finished the isolation and go in to work for two days and what happens- been told that I may have to self isolate again at home because someone else at work has tested positive and I shared a vehicle with him so awaiting for Track and Trace to contact me again to see if I need to be stuck at home for another 10! Fuming as I want to get on with it!
Nick B

pokherman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2020, 05:17:09 pm »

O jee's ..🙄 think if I have to stay home maybe take the boat with you ? Lol

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2020, 05:21:53 pm »

I used to take boats home every weekend but after I dropped one whilst transporting it between the block and the car to go home I decided to keep all future models at work until I had finished it to avoid it happening again.
Just annoys me!
Nick B

Dean's Marine

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dean's Marine
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2020, 02:44:35 pm »

I'd agree with that the etching is expensive.. I found that there was not enough Ladders in my sheet I had in my kit.. I was short by about 10 inches of it.. I couldn't believe that there was Ladders only one side of the boat, ie like the plans show. But I took a load of pictures of deans ship they have on the shelf. And yes to my belief there are indeed Ladders both sides of the boat in relevant places, another item on the etch sheet that there is a low number of is the support stanchions. I believe that they are probably a good 10 to 16 short as well.. if you are to go by scale. Then these are supposed to be in every 5th or 6th post. Again I can't do this so I'm having to make alternative decisions.. I'm hoping it is just my kit. Same as the brass wire for the railings and also the masks..
Hi It would be polite to say that the minute you told us you were short ( we checked and there is enough) but we sent to some more ( cut from a full sheet at £40.00 + wasted ) plus more that enough single stanchions and wire all in the post the next day, and no charge ? Ron > erosible this is bad service, or you just lost some ?

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2020, 04:50:14 pm »

As a fellow trader, I would echo that the customer has every right to get in touch with the vendor/manufacturer of their purchase and discuss their problem, be it missing or damaged parts. All manufacturers worth their salt try their best to make sure that the kit is complete and to as good a standard within their price range.

Any manufacturer who treasures their long built up reputation will be only too happy to make good defects as this engenders good feedback and helps the manufacturer keep an eye on the quality of their product for the future.

Yes, there are cheeky monkeys who want freebies, and others who completely mucked a project up and are after replacement parts bucksee, BUT, the majority of customers are honest folk who want to complete their project and cannot if there are faulty or missing parts.

So, do mention it in a topic and ask questions publicly, but make sure and get in contact with the vendor/manufacturer first to make good any issues. It helps you and it helps the hobby, and it helps the manufacturer to keep getting it right.

Be honest, we all lose things, we are all enthusiastic when we come to open that 'box of delights', and we are all on a learning curve, so mishaps happen as well. No manufacturer would begrudge you a bit of wire or to replace a poorly cast stanchion.
Pond weed is your enemy

pokherman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2020, 06:35:00 pm »

Hello. Just want to clear something up.. the paragraph that has been copied does not give its true intentional meaning.. the topic was covering other things as well.. it was not said as a complaint, far from it.. I did contact deans and they were very helpful, amazingly actually.. Ron is a top bloke and helped me out of a few sticky bits of the build.. and yes as he said he did send extra parts to me.. I can promise you I measured and re measured before i did anything.. unfortunately it comes from having the saying measure twice cut once drilled into me through college.. I wasn't saying any bad things about the kit.. it was an observation I found on my kit, that I thought would help the guy make his mind up and what to look out for.. and yes I am one of those people who is honest and doesn't want free biees so to speak. Just a complete build and ( Without sounding rude in anyway at all ) what I paid for.. I'm in the process of possibly buying another kit from deans.. just have to decide what one! I'm thinking the USS Kidd. I'm sorry if what I typed came across in a spiteful way, trouble is the rest of the conversation is not present so it's hard to put it in its true gesture..

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2020, 10:43:42 am »

Typical isn't it! I return to work ready for a role course today (my third one due to Covid) and I get contacted to say I need to isolate until Nov 26! Not the worst thing in the world as it means that I can get on with the Manxman build over the next 10 days but really annoying that I'm stuck in a barrack block room being fed by the RAF Messing system (which can be hit and miss with quality). At least the models will progress without pesky work getting in the way! So expect some massive build updates every day, might be every hour if I get a real move on! :}
Nick B

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.