The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Navy - Military - Battleships:

HMS Onslow 1:96

(1/23) > >>

Beagle1831:

Hi everyone

Another RN 1:96 subject to add to the growing collection! Just posting some progress on my current project - hoped to bring to Mayhem weekend but looks like COVID might have other plans...

The hull is from Deans Marine. I've already fitted the running gear & deck - some posts on this on the Deans forum. The running gear is twin 6v motors, raboesch exposed shafts + props. Scratch built rudder + bilge keels.

The hull is accurate for the flotilla leaders but would build any of the 16 O and P class ships with minor modification to the position of the focsle break. These ships were the first of the war emergency programme destroyers. They had a mixed armament depending on what was available. Onslow and 3 other O's had 4.7 inch guns, the remaining 4 O's had 4 inch guns and could be fitted for minelaying. All 8 P's had 4 inch guns. There were either 2 banks of quad torpedo tubes or one bank + an extra 4 inch AA gun. Light AA was mixed - Onslow completed with 2x 20mm Oerlikon + 2x 0.5in MG, but these were changed to 2 more 20mm guns soon afterwards.

The photos show some progress on the main superstructures - these are built from 1mm styrene around a 1.5mm frame (saved from the deck cutout). The top of B deck is a bit complicated so I made a template to check the fit. Both have the blast shields common to all RN destroyers - the aft one was particularly nightmarish to do! Some useful photos of HMS Cavalier helped to give an idea of the structure. Details are from styrene & brass wire.

Hope this is of interest!

James 

raflaunches:
Looking stunning as always James. :-))
Hope you’re keeping safe, glad you’ve got a bit of a break to do some modelling once in a while. Typically the weather for the Mayhem weekend looks pretty good- a shame we can’t meet up for what looks to be a rain free weekend!

Beagle1831:

Thanks Nick - yes real shame about Mayhem @ Wicksteed - always a great weekend, best show of the year!

Great progress on Invincible and now Manxman as well! Really interesting class of ships - all with great histories. Should make a good few knots when completed for running supplies to Malta!

ballastanksian:

What a lovely model Doctor! You are mastering those awkward forms well and building a fine ship. I look forward to seeing updates on this beauty.

And just a quick note to say thank you for what you are doing at these horrid times. Even if you are not directly involved with Covid, you are still putting yourself at risk for us in your daily duties.

TugCowboy:
Coming along beautifully, as ballastanksian said those aren't the easiest of lines to get right but It's building into a very elegant model from what we can see so far.
Please keep us updated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version