Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Onslow 1:96  (Read 15257 times)

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
HMS Onslow 1:96
« on: May 17, 2020, 07:08:06 pm »

Hi everyone

Another RN 1:96 subject to add to the growing collection! Just posting some progress on my current project - hoped to bring to Mayhem weekend but looks like COVID might have other plans...

The hull is from Deans Marine. I've already fitted the running gear & deck - some posts on this on the Deans forum. The running gear is twin 6v motors, raboesch exposed shafts + props. Scratch built rudder + bilge keels.

The hull is accurate for the flotilla leaders but would build any of the 16 O and P class ships with minor modification to the position of the focsle break. These ships were the first of the war emergency programme destroyers. They had a mixed armament depending on what was available. Onslow and 3 other O's had 4.7 inch guns, the remaining 4 O's had 4 inch guns and could be fitted for minelaying. All 8 P's had 4 inch guns. There were either 2 banks of quad torpedo tubes or one bank + an extra 4 inch AA gun. Light AA was mixed - Onslow completed with 2x 20mm Oerlikon + 2x 0.5in MG, but these were changed to 2 more 20mm guns soon afterwards.

The photos show some progress on the main superstructures - these are built from 1mm styrene around a 1.5mm frame (saved from the deck cutout). The top of B deck is a bit complicated so I made a template to check the fit. Both have the blast shields common to all RN destroyers - the aft one was particularly nightmarish to do! Some useful photos of HMS Cavalier helped to give an idea of the structure. Details are from styrene & brass wire.

Hope this is of interest!

James 

Work in progress and RN history on Instagram @beagleshipmodels

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: HMS Onslow 1:96
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 07:17:03 pm »

Looking stunning as always James. :-))
Hope you’re keeping safe, glad you’ve got a bit of a break to do some modelling once in a while. Typically the weather for the Mayhem weekend looks pretty good- a shame we can’t meet up for what looks to be a rain free weekend!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 07:52:29 pm »

Thanks Nick - yes real shame about Mayhem @ Wicksteed - always a great weekend, best show of the year!

Great progress on Invincible and now Manxman as well! Really interesting class of ships - all with great histories. Should make a good few knots when completed for running supplies to Malta!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 10:12:54 am »

What a lovely model Doctor! You are mastering those awkward forms well and building a fine ship. I look forward to seeing updates on this beauty.

And just a quick note to say thank you for what you are doing at these horrid times. Even if you are not directly involved with Covid, you are still putting yourself at risk for us in your daily duties.

Pond weed is your enemy

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 04:30:28 pm »

Coming along beautifully, as ballastanksian said those aren't the easiest of lines to get right but It's building into a very elegant model from what we can see so far.
Please keep us updated.

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 05:45:41 pm »

Thanks for the kind comments. I'm fortunate to be working in a relatively protected area as our patient group are at particular risk from covid.  Everyone in the NHS is very grateful for the support the public has shown us!

A bit more progress - I've been moving about between different areas of the build for some time so I'm showing different structures as they are moving on. (So if a part of the ship appears then disappears this is why - all the right photos, but not necessarily in the right order).

This is the searchlight platform / emergency steering position. I've decided to model Onslow in summer 1942, when she was pretty much 'as fitted'. There had been some modifications to the superstructure by the time of the Barents Sea action in Dec 42 which some models miss (e.g the Tamiya 1/700 one). The searchlight platform was further changed in 1943 with larger, rectangular platforms fitted for the 20mm guns which were later switched for 40mm bofors.

The 20mm base rings were a little tricky to get right, they are scribed with an anti-slip pattern using a template. The searchlight is built up from tubes / milliput /brass wire. The various boxes underneath would contain equipment/spares  for the torpedo tubes just fwd. I've built some bits to represent the emergency steering position based on photos from HMCS Haida.

James

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 08:44:17 pm »

It is always good to see some workings out  :-)) The AA platforms and searchlight are splendid.
Pond weed is your enemy

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 08:36:06 pm »

Some work on the bridge - this is made up from 0.5mm plastic around a thicker frame to save weight. Apologies for the messy desk!

Onslow and some of the other O's and P's had unusual (for RN destroyers) enclosed look out positions at the aft end of the bridge - these were tricky to make as the curves are very tight. The forward position is a submarine look out position (I think) and the rear one is an air look out. Roof left off this part for painting.

I've added some of the details to the compass platform based on photos of Onslow and similar ships.

The last 2 photos show overall views in position. The rigols ('eyebrows') are from 0.5mm brass wire. Again an unusual feature seems to be that these were only fitted to the bridge structure and not the rest of the ship, I've been told this was a time/manpower saving measure in the emergency destroyers. The wind deflectors are made up from evergreen strip and litho plate. Using the evergreen strip helps in getting all the brackets exactly the same.

The anti-submarine hut is dry-fitted in the middle, removable at present to allow the bridge grating to slide in. The cover over the ladder just next to it is again from litho plate - which I deliberately dented and then straightened out again a few times to give the impression of canvas when painted (I hope...)

Hope this is of interest! A package arrived from Deans Marine this morning so more bits to add on soon...

James

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 11:06:54 pm »

Already that is becoming a lovely model James. The bridge detail is great.
Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 05:18:54 pm »

Looking good!

Cheers

Geoff

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 05:01:53 pm »

Lots of RN destroyers had an extra 4 inch high angle gun fitted in place of the aft torpedo tubes. Have been trying to work out the best way to represent the deck here for some time - they had a 'spiderweb' pattern of non-slip strips arranged around the gun which I wanted to include as the 75mm plastic circle is a bit plain. Could be done by gluing on strips but I thought this might be quite messy and there are nearly 100 to stick on. Custom photo etch maybe a bit over the top?

Solution was to draw the pattern into the back of a piece of litho plate - then when turned over you get the raised pattern. After some tests a ballpoint pen seemed to make the best strips. This was then cut out and superglued to a plasticard backing, which is on a slightly raised frame above the deck.

I'm sure this technique has been used many times before (I found it in Brian King's books!) but in case it helps anyone to see it again.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 06:14:25 pm »

Hi James

Looks stunning and a technique I might be trying out myself as it looks very effective.
Keep up the excellent work

All the very best

Nick
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 08:28:43 pm »

That's a fine idea James! It hasn't warped the late much either which is good for post procedure fettling.

Pond weed is your enemy

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 09:02:50 pm »

Some progress on the funnel - this is version 2, the first try melted in the vacformer (lesson: don't paint your patterns gloss black)

I made templates of the profile and end sections, transferred these to 2 pieces of pine clamped together. The profile shapes were then cut out with the clamp on. I then added some brass locator pins to keep the parts aligned. The shape was then further roughed out using chisels and then sanded to the profile. Next photo shows the pattern in position to check the size. End caps are made from 3mm ply.

This was all posted off to Deansmarine and a set of vacformings came back a few days later (which I forgot to take a good photo of!)

The vacformings are trimmed to size & assembled to make the funnel. Various internal & external tube detail added from photos. (historical note - HMS Onslow's funnel was blown open by a hit from Admiral Hipper. Most photos show the splinter holes on the starboard side, but there is a photo in 'Arctic Destroyers' which shows the port side peeled apart along its whole length).

The two forward pipes connect to the focsle break, which was a bit of a headache to get right. I ended up gluing the junction plate to the pipes as this all has to come off to get at the battery compartment.

I need to make up the funnel cage and the siren platforms but I'm going to practice my soldering on something else first!

James Duff

• The Sovereign Boss Man
  • Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • Sovereign Hobbies Ltd
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 01:47:24 pm »

Nice work this  :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 10:41:42 pm »

Lovely smooth shapes James. Sadly anywhere a pattern is exposed to heat risks a bonding incident, or loads of time spent scraping flaked paint from the finished casting/forming. But the you discovered that much to your chagrin.

Pond weed is your enemy

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2020, 09:53:46 pm »

Thanks both!
[/color]I'm a bit 'bogged down' in small details at the moment - the sort that seem to take a lot of work then get 'absorbed' into the ship so it looks like no overall progress is being made!! [/size]
[/color]I've added the cage and sirens to the funnel, there is still the access platform to add [/size]
[/color]I've started trying to get individual sub-assemblies to the stage ready for painting - some progress on the searchlight platform: rails, mast and cross bracing being added. The front of the rail is a bit unusual in that there is an extra rail above which was done by grafting half a stanchion onto the top of a regular one. Also started some of the various lockers - for 20mm and 4 inch guns here.   [/size]
Also have been thinking about the paint scheme - (not sure if James D has any thoughts on this) - the build shows Onslow in early / mid 1942, picture here [size=78%]https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205143145[/size]
Until recently I thought this was home fleet grey on the hull and 'Mediterranean' grey 507c on the upperworks (which I think was pre-war practice, and there is a model on the iwm site which looks like this)
However I now wonder if this is  could equally be an emergency camouflage type pattern eg. 'light medium tone' pattern with 507c upperworks and 50:50 507a/c on the hull.
Not sure - will have to keep thinking about this!
James

James Duff

• The Sovereign Boss Man
  • Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • Sovereign Hobbies Ltd
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2020, 09:48:41 am »

Also have been thinking about the paint scheme - (not sure if James D has any thoughts on this) - the build shows Onslow in early / mid 1942, picture here [size=78%]https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205143145[/size]
Until recently I thought this was home fleet grey on the hull and 'Mediterranean' grey 507c on the upperworks (which I think was pre-war practice, and there is a model on the iwm site which looks like this)
However I now wonder if this is  could equally be an emergency camouflage type pattern eg. 'light medium tone' pattern with 507c upperworks and 50:50 507a/c on the hull.
Not sure - will have to keep thinking about this!
James

Hi James,

That photograph looks consistent with 507A/HFG hull and 507C upperworks to me. :-))

There was still plenty of that going around during the first half of WWII.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2020, 11:28:09 pm »

You are doing lovely work James. The brasswork looks fab  :-)) :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2020, 09:17:27 pm »

Thanks James - good to get a second opinion! I think I have the colour plan just about sorted then.

Glad you approve of the brass bits Ian - they are a mix of John Haynes and Deans Marine.

A bit more progress -
I've finished the rails on the oerlikon platforms and added the ammunition boxes & ladders

Also done similar stuff on the pom-pom platform. Looking at the plans the low splinter shields were actually held slightly away from the deck edge on angle brackets - I've omitted this gap for strength. The angle brackets are made from evergreen angle strip cut up with a razor saw.

I use cyano to assemble the railings which is reasonably strong once all the cross links are glued. I'm not brave enough to bring the soldering iron that close to the plastic! Once the rails are bent to shape I stick the first few stanchions in as an anchor, then place the rails, then thread each stanchion on. Once all the stanchions are in you can adjust the alignment/angles before gluing the cross links to make it all solid & trim off the excess rail.

A few photos of the platform with fittings in place (resin from Dean's Marine). Midships section beginning to take shape.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2020, 12:04:14 am »

Watching on with each posting James....your brass wire bending skills are excellent  :-)) ......

[to anyone who says it's easy, just give them 30" x  1/16" brass wire and request two wire hexagons with 2" equal length sided faces  %)

..in theory they should end up with 1 x piece about 4" long left over O0

You and I know what they will end up with {-)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2020, 06:31:04 am »

coming along nicely ..  :-))

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2020, 03:39:44 pm »

Thanks both. I'm not showing the photos of the pile of attempts that didn't work!

I've made the funnel platform - an etched part might have been nicer, but found the technique for this in the book about Norman Ough ('Life and Ship Models')

The pattern was drawn out, then wire is laid out on double sided sticky tape before soldering it together. Excess solder cleaned off with a file. The tread-bars are probably a bit far apart - potential for falling through for a 1/96 sailor - don't tell the health & safety officer. The stanchion bars are then bent upwards to take the guard rail. Photo etch ladder from Deans.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2020, 04:42:57 pm »

The more I look at this thread, the more I think that it's not just a superb piece of workmanship but that there's a huge degree of elegance in the thought behind each and every stage.

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2020, 05:51:00 am »

I'm not showing the photos of the pile of attempts that didn't work!

i know the Feeling very well James..   {-) {-)
i can not recall the amout of times that has happend to me...

your probaby right, an etched Version might look nicer, but looses the Depth of full rod….  even though, it Looks the part, and thats the main Thing..
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.