Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Onslow 1:96  (Read 15255 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: HMS Onslow 1:96
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2020, 08:46:37 am »

Definitly Colin. The effort to get all those tread bars laid out is a project in its own right! Did you slake the piece in white spirit afterwards to dissolve the glue to make removal easier or carefully ease it off with a knife?

Pond weed is your enemy

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2020, 07:00:16 pm »

Thanks everyone again for the kind comments. The technique is modified from an article by Norman Ough - I had been puzzling how to make this part and he describes a similar process. Would also recommend any of Brian King's books - lots of great techniques and advice. Plus this great forum of course!

Ian - I would normally soak in warm water + dish soap or white spirit to stop deforming the part, but in this case the heat of the soldering weakened the glue enough for it to peel straight off.

I've been trying to systematically move through the various 'sub-assemblies' to make some headway. The after superstructure has had similar treatment - rails and splinter plates added. The top rail in this case was wire rope to allow the top half of the stanchion to be folded out of the way. (the same is actually true on some of the areas of the pom-pom stand, but this will be hidden behind canvas).

Fittings are dry-fitted in approximate positions. The standard white metal and resin items are from Deans Marine. Smaller lockers/hatches from plasticard and litho plate. The small ammunition hatches are are punched from litho plate. Galley funnels soldered from brass tube (2 good ones of 6 attempts...) >:-o

Work in progress and RN history on Instagram @beagleshipmodels

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2020, 08:00:30 pm »

Great progress James! Such simple looking things those galley chimneys, but deceptively so. Good job.
Pond weed is your enemy

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2020, 06:55:59 am »

very nice... 

Deans marine also have Galley funnels in there Fittings..  :-)) 
i have two on the Enchantress.. which i thikend up with plastic tubing..

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2020, 10:46:57 pm »

Stunning work James
The brass work is particularly worthy of note.
Keep up the excellent job. :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2020, 04:49:50 pm »

Thanks again everyone - I should also say, as per Colin's post, I think almost all of the fittings for the O & P class are in the Deans range - given the similarity of the O's to the JKNs and V class. If anyone is thinking of building a similar ship.

Again trying to systematically move through the sub-assemblies, I've been adding a bit of detail to the bridge. Most of this is based on photos/plans of Onslow and Oribi, or 'filled in' from photos of similar RN ships. Various 'greebles' added from plastic section, brass wire & scrap airfix kit bits.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2020, 06:31:42 pm »

Once again you’ve done a stunning job James :-))
Which plans are you using as your detailing is second to none. Very admirable workmanship.
Nick B

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2020, 05:09:35 am »

yup… must agree with nick...

beautiful..  :-))

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2020, 09:22:50 pm »

Thanks Nick & Colin

I'm using the maritime museum 'as fitted' plans - these show a lot of the general fittings (eg. torpedo sights, compass repeater), the rest of the detail is added from photos - there are some good pictures of Onslow and Oribi in dock in the 'Ensign' publication, and also on the IWM website. There are also some good bridge photos of Kelvin and some of the 'R' class on IWM. Some of the detail is 'filled in' based on related ships eg. where a bridge officer is inconveniently standing in the way of the fitting you want to see. Or where a fitting is standard. eg the controls beneath the torpedo sight. I don't agree with completely 'making stuff up' but it's to give the idea that something useful is there as looking at photos the insides of the bridge walls always seem to be covered in boxes, dials and tubes. 

Would also recommend looking at John Haynes' models of HMS Starling and an S class destroyer, and E J Foeth's 'On the slipway' blog about HMS Hood which has lots of great stuff on RN detail work. 

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2020, 10:33:53 pm »

Hi James

Thanks for the information, I’ve been using some NMM plans for my Manxman build but they aren’t as detailed as some that I’ve got on other vessels. I want to add generic detail that I know should be there and I’ve got some fantastic photos of one of the Abdiels being scrapped but they only show certain areas. We all know vessels of this era had loads of deck and superstructure clutter! I’ll check out the builds by John and the Hood blog.
Keep safe and happy modelling :-))
Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2020, 10:43:57 pm »

Another gorgeous model progressing well. Keep up the good work James  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2020, 10:22:08 pm »

I managed to miss the Deans Open weekend but a trip to Peterborough last week allowed me to collect some bits needed to finish the torpedo tubes...

Based on the drawings in John Lambert's 'Naval Weapons of WW2' - volume 1. The tubes are aluminium, ends filed & sanded to get the right angle. Details are added from brass wire & litho plate. Assembled onto plasticard baseplate. The impulse chambers & loading doors are Deans Marine fittings. The various wheels & triggers are added from photo etch, micro strip etc. (Deans destroyer detail etch set). These would be used to set running depth, angle etc. and also to lock the torpedoes in the tubes until firing (all annotated in John Lambert's drawings, for those interested). The spray shield (Dalek like bit) contained the firing controls, again a Deans resin part modified slightly to match the one on the emergency destroyer quadruple tubes.

Just need to make the 'fish' now...

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2020, 11:05:33 am »

Looks more like the head of a robotic minion - or bender (futurama)
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2020, 08:54:38 am »

Hmm probably a minion! That must be why all my tools keep going missing...

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2020, 01:49:25 pm »

Nice  :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2020, 02:50:46 pm »

That is an extremely well detailed Quad Launcher. :-)) ........]so even whilst such equipment is deck mounted, such Launchers categorized as Below Water Weapons ....hence my knowledge of such was rather limited, except that the air launch pressures were rather high even for a vessel such as HMS Onslow]

I enjoy viewing each post of your build

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2020, 02:21:17 pm »

Beautiful work. So much detail. You are achieving the cluttered look! :-))

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2020, 10:06:14 pm »

Hi Everyone

Thanks again for the great comments. Progress has been delayed a bit - things have been a bit busy in the day job again for 'obvious reasons'...

Again trying to work through each sub-assembly, this time 'B' gun deck/ the signal deck. This proved surprisingly tricky, particularly getting everything to fit where the mast passes between the flag lockers / RDF office / aerial trunking. As ever the 'order of operations' needed to be worked out i.e. you can't build one part until you have sorted the previous problem out.

The support struts are brass rod, with telescoping tube from Albion alloys in the main deck to receive the supports. The struts are passed all the way through the upper deck for strength and sanded flush, as in my experience these bits are the first to snap off at the lakeside! 

Rails, splinter shields & ladders have been added as per the rest of the build. Small tanks & lockers scratch built, the larger ones are resin items from Deans marine, dry fitted in the photos. The flag lockers are etched parts from scale warship - these are excellent, go together really well. The aft pair will have the canvas covers down and are built from plasticard to save a bit of weight. These are the same size (or within 0.2mm on the callipers!) as the brass items though it doesn't look like it in the photos!

Now to work out what the next bit to build is....

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2020, 05:01:05 pm »

The torpedo tubes and the bridge are a work of art James! Wishing you well in these difficult times. Please please please keep you and your fellow docs and staff safe.
Pond weed is your enemy

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2021, 01:50:56 pm »

Hi everyone

Some more updates - got a bit bogged down in sorting the hull out, thought I would try drilling out the portholes but ended up with a lot of ragged edges from cracked gel coat, despite use of backing tape etc. which has taken ages to sort out.

Once this was sorted could start working on some of the deck details. On the stern - smoke system is scratchbuilt, other fittings & d/c rails from Deans marine. On the focsle - brass etched treadplate from scale-link, anti-slip treads from evergreen 0.25mmx0.75mm strip.

I've also had a go at some resin casting - made up a pattern for one of the denton life rafts, and some of the mushroom vents. I think Deans do metal vents but I wanted to save a bit of weight, there are about 20 of them in total. 
Fingers crossed for a water test & meet up at Wicksteed park in the summer.

James  

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2021, 02:17:48 pm »

James,
Nice to see others having ago at casting  :-))  what make of rubber are you using ?
Regards David

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2021, 03:01:05 pm »

Well impressed with your efforts to date, I've no idea how I managed to miss this thread from the start but, now that I've read through it, I'll make sure that I don't miss your future updates.

Absolutely fantastic work showing in your photos - thanks for sharing.

Ray.

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2021, 03:08:40 pm »

Thanks Ray it's been my lockdown project!

Dave - I used cs25 silicone from easy composites and xencast P2 resin. This seemed to be their recommended combination for beginners. I don't have degassing kit etc. but seems to be ok.
 The key thing I found is when they say 1:1 by weight for the resin they mean it - not volume as I tried first!

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2021, 03:33:35 pm »

James,

Degassing can be an issue with moulding, like you I don’t have a degassing machine, but I find the RTV shore 24 and it has a good self degassing properties, holds its flex which with the more complex master I need. The resin I use is Fast Cast, this produces fine castings, but can be a bit touchy, however over the years I’ve found the best way to get the best results. Keep up with the casting  :-))
Regards David

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2021, 04:21:16 pm »

Thanks Dave that's great - I'll make a note of those for my next order!

James
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.