Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Onslow 1:96  (Read 15251 times)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: HMS Onslow 1:96
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2021, 05:50:11 pm »

That looks fantastic James
Obviously thinking on the same wavelength as I’ve just bought some silicon and resin moulding kit for my projects as I thought it was time I’d have a go.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2021, 06:02:02 pm »

James,

One little tip I use too degas the silicon is to place the mould on a base plate,  then I use a old power sander to vibrate the mould for a few mins.
Regards David

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2021, 07:51:23 pm »

A few small updates - ticking off the long list of small jobs.

1. - Dry fit of most of the parts on the bow - bullnose & fairleads are from Deans marine, the small eye plates are from the Deans destroyer photoetch set.

2. - Making the mushroom vents - (or maybe waffles for the crew) - I think there are 7 different types of various square/round/curved ones - made up from evergreen tube & square section. The curved ones on the superstructure sides were cast in resin. The grilles were added from photoetch sheet (4D modelshop)

3. - more progress on the bridge showing vents & lockers, resin cast denton raft in approx position

4. - A few details on the bridge - the anti-submarine hut in the centre of the bridge had warped over time (too much glue I think) so I re-made this.
- Added the covers to the air look out positions on the rear corners of the bridge, these are removable so I can still get the ALO sights in once painted. These covered positions seem unique to the O&P class so maybe were discarded as a bad idea! - I think the covers must have folded back to allow spotting aircraft.
- On previous models I find that the supporting struts under the signal deck are the first thing to snap off so I added some 1mm internal dia tubes (Albion alloys from Deans Marine) to the main deck to receive the struts. The overlap is less than a millimetre to avoid the bridge structure getting 'locked' on but it's enough to protect from any collisions.

5. - After superstructure showing some of the larger mushroom vents in position. I also ground the escape hatches off the side of the hull moulding and replaced with a resin casting for a bit more detail (visible directly above the stand cradle).

The main parts remaining now are the armament & fire control position, am looking into getting a lathe so waiting until then to get these done. And the ships boats which are another problem altogether...

Hope this is of interest!

James   

Work in progress and RN history on Instagram @beagleshipmodels

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2021, 08:41:14 pm »

Hi James

As always- a stunning update of a brilliant build. The quality is fantastic. Always look forward to your updates.
Nick B

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2021, 08:59:55 pm »

Thanks Nick ! It's keeping me out of trouble in lockdown...

Another small update - I managed to snap my last micro-drill bit over the long Easter weekend but another box arrived a few days ago to get this done,

Dry fit of parts on the stern:
- I've added in the splinter plates at the deck edge, these are pinned in with 0.5mm brass wire for strength.
- I made the d/c handling davits from brass rod. I also soldered some anchoring pins onto the d/c rails as they will have to come off with the tiller hatch if access is needed.
- Added the propeller guards and small fairleads, the larger fairlead at the stern is for towing according to the plans.

More to follow!

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2021, 08:36:34 pm »

Some more details added to the mast -
Crow's nest made up from litho plate, frames below for the steaming light and signalling lights below. I'm not exactly sure of the detail here as not shown on the plans but this is a best guess from photographs of the Onslow and also the J/K/N class destroyers which seem to be much better documented.

The type 286 radar on the top of the mast is soldered up from brass wire, again I don't have scale drawings of this but dimensions are estimated by comparing to other structures of a known size on photos.

Still a few bits to add on but some progress made!

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2021, 09:11:02 pm »

More excellent brasswork being done here - looking very neat.

Ray.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2021, 11:44:10 pm »

I agree, that is becoming a really finely wrought model James. You are really pushing your skills and approach to new techniques with Onslow. You will be scratch building next, it's only a small jump from super detailing IMHO. The mast is gorgeous.

Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2021, 05:23:09 am »

Stunning work as always James. I’m getting back into some building again after a couple of months of not being able or simply not feeling the love.
Your brass work is brilliant and you really are improving with each model.
Nick B

Steve40

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2021, 09:28:11 am »

James

Beautiful work, but shouldn’t the yardarms be in front of the mast?

Steve

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2021, 09:51:19 am »

Thanks everyone for the comments, I've been trying to improve my soldering/ metal work. I would like to try to do a full scratch build next - thinking about a few RN subjects...

As you say Nick the enthusiasm comes in patches - might focus on another project for a bit as the next step are the armament & boats, which I want to do a really good job on.

Re: the yardarms - yes they should be in front! No idea how I missed that, obviously a long day at the office  %% . Fortunately this was just a dry fit - the upper mast is not glued into the lower tube yet to make fitting the lights easier so easily fixed!

Steve40

• Shipmate
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2021, 10:13:45 am »

You did it deliberately to see if you could catch us out! :-)) {-)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2021, 10:15:44 pm »

{-) {-) {-)
Pond weed is your enemy

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2021, 05:53:26 pm »

In the words of Captain Mainwaring - "I was wondering who would be the first to spot that"

- Sorted out now, the support brackets for the radar array had been superglued on so I left the upper part of the assembly in nail varnish remover (don't tell the C in C Home Fleet) until they came off and then cleaned off the glue residue before sticking back on the right way round. Also added on the support bases for the various mast lights.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2021, 08:15:06 pm »

I think the C in C Home fleet would be happy enough if it meant his masts worked properly! Given the many different fluids and chemicals used back then that we can't get hold of, or are not even made due to their toxicity, Acetone isn't bad.
Pond weed is your enemy

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2022, 10:06:59 pm »

Hi Everyone

I'm at that stage of the build where I seem to spend ages messing about with small details but it seems like nothing is getting done! Also some supply problems have limited my progress on actually finishing the fittings - I have lots that are part completed but not done. Hopefully "more on that later".

Anyway I thought I would have a go at one of the ships boats to break things up. This is the 25 foot cutter, standard item on most RN WW2 destroyers - plans in 'The Life and Ship Models of Norman Ough', and also EJ Foeth's brilliant HMS Hood blog 'On the Slipway'. There are photos of the one from HMCS Haida online.

The hull is a Deansmarine vacforming. After fitting the basic seats, keel, floor etc from plastic strip I then 'planked' the hull using gumstrip sealing tape. This is based on techniques from Phillip Reed, Brian King & the Norman Ough book. The tape is cut into approx 1.5mm strips using a new scalpel blade. The 'planks' are then added starting from the keel. This took some practice knowing how much time to soak the strips to activate the glue & some judicious use of PVA to secure the ends which want to un-peel. Also avoid the temptation to do too many planks at a time (maybe 4 in one go, then allow to dry?). As the glue is water soluble there is some time to adjust and re-do if needed.

Once the planks are all on, they are soaked with a small amount of thin CA glue which sets everything hard, then the ends can be trimmed off using sharp scissors and sanded flush.

The cabs are made from plastic card with paper strips for detail, railings from the ends of broken PE stanchions. Small deck details ("greebles?") are stolen from an airfix 1/600 HMS Suffolk.

Now have to do the 16ft motor boat and 27ft whaler.

Hope this is of interest!

James

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2022, 09:32:30 pm »

Lovely James! That planking alone is gorgeous  :-)) 

I like the detail level of the model. While not a fan of boats as they take time away from ships, they do really bring out the best in a larger model.

Thanks for sharing the tips James, I will store these away in my brain (oh well their lost then :o)
Pond weed is your enemy

Tworrs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2022, 06:05:11 am »

Thank you for sharing your tips James, I am learning a lot.

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2022, 09:51:58 pm »

Thanks for the replies - I would really recommend Brian King & Phillip Reed's books, and the book about Norman Ough which reprints his articles on construction.

The main bits left to do are the armament and boats, I have left these until last as they are the most complex (maybe doing them first would have been better?).

First of all the 4 inch mark V high angle gun - these were commonly fitted to RN destroyers in place of the aft torpedo tubes for extra AA defence. This is based on plans from John Lambert and online references. There were quite a few different variations of the gun mounting so quite a lot to sort out but I think this is about right for Onslow. There are good photos of the gun on HMS Kelvin and HMS Javelin.

The base is plasticard with litho & brass etch plates. The gun is turned from aluminium, the cradle is acrylic to save weight. Smaller details from plastic strip, brass wire, spare model sprues. I was looking for a tiny elevation gear - managed to find this in a bag of watch spares from eBay. The 'bench' on the left side of the mount was for setting the timing of fuses.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2022, 09:59:29 pm »

Cor, I would have loved to put that in kit form in a mould and cast some up for you James! It looks amazing.
Pond weed is your enemy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2022, 12:58:15 am »

Excellent James ...very crisp indeed :-)) ............... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2022, 09:29:22 pm »

Next on the list - the combined rangefinder / director. Scratch built from John Lambert's plans. This is mainly styrene sheet - was quite tricky to get it all round and concentric. The top ring lifts off to allow painting. The base is turned acrylic. There is a radar array still to do for the top.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2022, 04:33:46 pm »

Which museum will this splendid model go to, too good to go on a pond/boating lake.

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2022, 08:21:46 pm »

Thanks - hopefully this one is going in my office!

Thinking of museums, the Russian Arctic Convoy museum near Poolewe is worth a visit if in the area. Has a small section on HMS Onslow & the battle of the Barents sea.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2022, 10:51:29 am »

That is a splendid idea putting the model in your office on display, I think if it was mine I would be too distracted to work as i would spend my time admiring and showing it to others. Reference the Battle of the Barent Sea, shame more is not made of it, probably one of the most heroic actions fought by the R N in the war.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.