Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the best way to make fake/dummy windows?  (Read 1575 times)

NoNuFink

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
What's the best way to make fake/dummy windows?
« on: May 18, 2020, 04:25:52 pm »

The glass type . Not the computer type.

I'm looking for ideas.  I'm building a boat (Springer - ish) which will have largish windows in the superstructure.  It's nowhere near 'real' or scale so I don't want to try and construct anything inside. It follows that the windows need to be less than clear.  I think that translucent film would look a bit odd and other than just painting black I can't think of any alternatives. {:-{
Has anybody got a solution to this problem?  I'm sure it must have occurred before.

Thanks in advance for any ideas

NoNuFink

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
Re: What's the best way to make fake/dummy windows?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 04:41:46 pm »

could you use aluminium self adhesive tape rather than paint them black? 
Out on the water it’ll look like tinted glass reflecting the view...

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 05:02:09 pm »

Use some thin transparent plastic styrene sheet and paint one side dark blue. When the paint is fully dry just stick them to the superstructure paint side down with a glue that won't attack the paint such as canopy glue or, better still, some double sided adhesive tape. Cheap, cheerful and quite effective. (DONT use superglue!)

I used this method on my Fairey Swordsman kit for the cabin roof skylight which also had a frame around it.

Colin

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 05:16:32 pm »

I bought a car window tint spray and spay clear plastic sheet. This way you can vary the depth of the tint.

Barrie

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 06:09:28 pm »

For me the windows can be made out of most things but it is the frames that make the difference. Look at the pictures above and see what I mean.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 06:25:39 pm »

Yes, the frames make a big difference in improving realism.

Colin

NoNuFink

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 07:53:14 pm »

Many thanks for the input guys.
Is there anything appearancewise to be gained by 'glazing' a hole in the cabin side rather than just attaching to a solid surface?  For instance I can imagine that clear sheet sprayed with tint, as Barrie suggests, might be better (or possibly worse) with the light shining through from the windows on the opposite side.  But perhaps that's just a waste of effort?

NNF

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 08:51:03 pm »

If the paint or tint is on the back of the sheet you will get the effect of depth even on a solid surface. Light shining through from the back will simply show up any faults in the thickness of the paint/tint application.

Rather than splash out on a can of tint I'd try the cheaper option first. Try painting the back of some trasparent plastic sheet with dark blue or even black then turn it over and see what you think. Nothing like test pieces to make your mind up.

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

Colin

NoNuFink

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 10:03:57 pm »

Ok  Cheers  :-))

NNF

RST

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 10:06:12 pm »

NNF it's terribly out-dated to suggest to try things oneself these days but I still say so. Your fear of no interior should not put you off either, I don't bother on most of mine. Just paint it black inside and glaze with clear windows. Nobody will know at 4' stand-off. Alternatively there's lots of more options which are out there your or someone else might like, you can make as easy or complicated as you like.  I'd advocate cutting the window if it's an easy enough geometry personally.

Rich

NoNuFink

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 10:15:56 pm »

:-))   I'll probably try both ways

NNF

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 07:15:20 am »

This photo shows the two styles. The front wheelhouse windows are cut out and glazed with tinted plastic. The three rear cabin windows are cut from black vinyl and stuck on.

barrie

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 09:18:17 am »

hi there

A while ago I had a similar problem when painting windows of a resin helicopter model and after a lot of searching and information from the Web one of the best solutions was first of all to paint it a satin black (the window) and then shade in with a midnight blue and silver around the edges of the window.   It takes a while to get the hang of this, but, its a good effect when it's all done.   I tried this method when I built the Virgin Atlantic's windows but when I built a stand off MTB I painted them all black and if you compare the two photographs you will be able to see the difference.

By the way the window framework on the Virgin Atlantic was made from copper wire stripped from 15 amp flat twin and earth cable and the framework on the MTB windows was made from cardboard.

I will put another photograph on which shows the Virgin Atlantic against the Swordsman which has clear windows and that will also give you an idea.

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.