Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Basil Harley - Rose  (Read 2459 times)

belli

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Basil Harley - Rose
« on: May 18, 2020, 05:04:57 pm »

I have the B.H. Rose attached, the plans call for a 'Modeen' steam engine plant.  A quick google search yielded nothing, does anybody have any info on the steam plant?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Basil Harley - Rose
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 05:09:23 pm »

Google Modeen model steam engine and you will get quite a lot of hits including on here.

Colin

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 09:44:22 pm »

From memory it was a single acting engine 3/8 bore 5/8 stroke .The other engine USE is now sold by Tony Green
http://www.tonygreensteammodels.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=110

belli

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 10:00:01 pm »

The .pdf in the first post is wrong!  I don't know how to edit it.  Why didn't anybody say anything??

Please delete and use this one.  .dxf Is available for all you laser cutters out there too.

belli

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 09:15:15 pm »

So, construction proceeds unabated...

I was struggling with the stringers, at first I tried 1/4"x1/4" as per the plans but they were really difficult to work with.  Far too stiff and I wasn't in the mood for rigging up some kind of steaming device.  I ended up using 1/8"x1/4" as per the lower stringers and they are much easier to bend.  Once laminated with a bit of thin cyano I think they will be better than 1/4"x1/4".

I was also reaching new levels of frustration with the stringers jumping out of place while trying to get them against all the formers.  I then used my noggin and put some rubbers against each bulkhead to hold them and then things went much smoother.  When done I can just snip the rubbers off, I am sure that I am not the first to think of this but this really helped my sanity.

Another change I made was to fit an additional bulkhead in the nose, this will help to maintain the profile close to what the deck shape is and make it easier to fit the bottom sheets.  I have two more stringers to add and then I can lose my sanity trying to glue the bottoms on.  I have also added 'formers' in-between the bulheads to help support the bottom, you can see them in the rubber photos, these were sanded to shape before gluing in and that was so much easier, I now rate my chances of getting the bottoms in reasonably well at about 90% (up from 60% without them).

I also added a 'horizontal former in the nose that the stringers attach to.  This helps guide the correct profile and allows gluing in the stringers without any real pain.  They overlap to improve the joint strength.  Don't mind my crappy gluing...

I also made a 'W' shaped ply piece to hold the stringers in while gluing them, can also be seen in the last photo.   I can open the width of the slot as each stringer is added.

All thee changes have been added to the plan which I will post here a bit further along on the build.  Gotta be sure it's right first.

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 11:56:27 pm »

Good idea laminating the stringers. You probably need more clamps. You can never have enough clamps when building a plank on frame hull :-)

belli

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 10:02:39 pm »

All the stringers are in!   I can cut the ply bottom and side now, the cardboard templates were perfect (aren't computers wonderful?).

Adding the extra formers in the nose were a good idea I think, made the assembly much easier.  I am still nervous about getting the ply to twist right at the front where it twists about 70-80 deg. in the space of about two inches.  Worst I will cut the front bit off and shape a wooden block to fit.

belli

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 08:34:30 pm »

OK, this thread really needs an update....   :embarrassed:

The hull sheeting is all done and a stand has been made that the hull can be flipped over for fitting of the internals.  I've made the rudder, tiller arm and hinges.  I need to make a small lever that the servo pushrod attaches to.  I'll post some photos soon.

The rudder shaft is 1/8" bronze running in a brass tube.  The hinges are milled from 1/4" square material.  The rudder is silver soldered to the rudder shaft, I couldn't decided if regular solder would be strong enough.

The prop shaft belongs to African Queen but Rose's will be very similar.  I made a real hash of it but it turned out OK.  There are bronze bushes, about 5/16" long each of a 1/4" brass tube.  The shaft is 1/8" Stainless, the bushes are soldered in with regular solder.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2020, 09:39:39 pm »

That Christmas Tree segmented deck bow piece is brilliant, I do not see it in the original Plan?.....adds/concentrates so much strength in such a little 'fore & aft' length  :-))  and ease in connection of the 8 lengths of [laminated] timber whilst gluing

Will you cut a hole and slosh a few gallons of some sort of wood preservative in the boxed in bow tapered trialgularish prism? [with sides of diminishing length]....

Tongue Oil could be a good thought for starters...[check first, as if any seeps to the external surface, paint may never stick to it  {-) ]

Good work on all of the running gear....all looking prototypical... will you age the brass?, or paint it?

Merry Christmas belli......

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2020, 01:39:17 pm »

Deleted this as its what Derek was asking - i seem to have lost the plot  %)
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

belli

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2020, 09:00:01 pm »

Hey,
The Christmas tree was my own plan, I grew tired of trying to glue the stringers in place only to watch them spring off each time.  I thought to myself, "There's got to be a better way..."  It wasn't on the plans but I think it improves the symmetry of the hull too.   I didn't put any holes in the former and did intend to slosh some varnish around in there but I didn't.  I think I did update the drawings to included some cut-outs in the former so that next time it will be easier.  I might still drill some holes and squirt a bit of varnish in there.

Brass parts will be left with the brass finish.  I'm great at starting projects but not very good at finishing them and spending hours like some of the other forum members doing the finishing just doesn't appeal to me.  I do wish I had the patience but I don't   :(( .  I do have some leave from work until the New Year and so hopefully progress will be made.

I think I am also loosing my marbles, the pictures of the brass parts are actually for the Modeen African Queen and not Rose.  Although the parts for Rose will be very similar.

belli

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2020, 04:05:29 pm »

Here's where she is now.  The deck template has been cut to check for size, I will cut it from 1/16" ply and strip plank it with mahogany before gluing it on.  Need to fit the prop shaft and rudder first and perhaps the rudder servo.

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2020, 01:41:48 pm »

Could you please take some pictures of the hull turned upside down? It has very nice lines.

belli

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2020, 07:21:38 pm »

Hey KNO3,
I hope these are OK, not too sure how to position it.
I can also send you a 3D CAD file if that will help?

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2020, 01:43:59 pm »

Very nice, thank you for the photos. Yes I would like to have the cad files per email. I will send you my address via pm.
Merry Christmas! 🎄
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.