Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Slipway Tsekoa II (1/32 workboat)  (Read 4611 times)

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
Model Slipway Tsekoa II (1/32 workboat)
« on: May 18, 2020, 09:10:36 pm »

I've had this since I passed my GCSEs 8 years ago or so and made a start but was never satisfied, cut to today, since I work in a boatyard that makes full size fibreglass boats and I've learnt fibreglassing skills and things I thought I'd get cracking. First picture is of a finished one, mine will be slightly different although I do have a bow thruster to go in.

First thing I do was gut the interior and grind out the old P40 glass stuff and basically start again. Doing this found a thin spot in the Hull which ended up being a hole when I poked it. Quick job to repair with 3 layers of fibreglass matting. Whilst I had the matting out I put a few layers over the propshaft tubes.

I've also made up the mount for the motors out of some aluminium I have. I just need to drill for M3 bolts tomorrow
96a47a41e129ebb4488f79409ed79cf2.jpg 
     DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg  DSC_0117.jpg  DSC_0121.jpg   
"Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws" - Douglas Adams

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model Slipway Tsekoa II (1/32 workboat)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 10:29:16 pm »

I've not seen one of these in a good while so I'll follow your progress and maybe pick up some pointers along the way.  :-)

Regards,
Ray.

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 10:34:56 pm »

Nice to see a fellow North Walian on here ands just down the road as well

Dave

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 06:18:37 pm »

Thanks Ray and Dave. Hopefully it pans out well!

Finished the motor mount and temporarily fixed the motors to it with self tappers to allow me to set the vertical alignment, I just have to glass it in tonight.
I've also made up a battery support, also from aluminium and cut out with a very un model making like angle grinder with a slitting disk. This spans the Hull, the idea being I can mount the ESCs and switches on it. A test fit of the decks shows there's enough clearance for everything but I think I'll make one   or two more access hatches to get to the motor mount bolts in future if needs be as where they are now would be a challenge to get them out again to say the least

"Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws" - Douglas Adams

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 08:32:26 pm »

battery base and the motor mount glassed in, 2 layers for the battery base a :-)  3 for the motor mount so should be strong enough. Normally I'd have taken the motors off but I didn't want to disturb the alignment. [/size]I also gave the upper battery support a clean up with some emery and some wire wool

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 06:05:39 pm »

Not much done today as spent most of the day sorting out a couple of jobs on the ninety.

I have managed to glass in the battery support and dry fit the decks to double check I've enough clearance for everything

DSC_0145.jpg  DSC_0146.jpg
DSC_0147.jpg 

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 09:59:57 pm »

Been messing about with electrics today and got the motors and the rudder servo tested

DSC_0168.jpg 
Here's a video I made of testing

https://youtu.be/bYM1y2bPnmQ

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 10:44:23 pm »

I've been tidying the wiring up the last day or so and making something up that resembles a wiring loom. I've also made up a height adjustable mount for the servo that operates the steering

DSC_0182.jpg  Im just waiting for a couple of bits in the post and then the running gear can be finished off (including fitting the bow thruster which will be interesting).

I've also got a very nice atlas crane kit from Macs mouldings in the post today, this is a full resin kit with some brass rod for the handrails and other details.

DSC_0184.jpg  DSC_0189.jpg  DSC_0192.jpg  DSC_0194.jpg  it's a lovely thing to put together. The company does lots of resin bits for the larger scales and are great to deal with.

Tomorrow I'll look at setting up the steering and sorting out some of the Hull cutouts

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 02:52:30 pm »

Doing some more Hull work today, including the fitting of the bow thruster. This calls for 2x 16mm holes in the Hull below the waterline for the bow thruster tubes to go through. Once fittod these get trimmed and faired into the Hull. I've also marked out the Hull doors, what I'll do later this afternoon is cut these out and bond the bow thruster in with body filler

DSC_0207.jpg  DSC_0214_copy_600x1064.jpg  DSC_0212.jpg 

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 03:07:58 pm »

Lovely kit by MSW. Have one on my bucket list, dont know if I'll ever get around 'tuit' though!

number-1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 05:29:53 pm »

I've an unstarted one of these in the attic, how does the Macs Mouldings crane compare to the original?

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 09:42:39 pm »

I got the bow thruster bonded in with body filler so I can cut the tubes back tomorrow and fair it in properly. I've also cut out the Hull doors. The last photos show what the doors should look like when done. I think tomorrow I'll look at the portholes and trimming the door openings and then look at fettling the Hull ready for some paint. I'm trying to do most of the dusty and messy jobs in the garage before I take it back in the house to where I normally make models

DSC_0220.jpg  DSC_0219.jpg  DSC_0217.jpg  DSC_0218.jpg 

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 09:44:22 pm »

I've an unstarted one of these in the attic, how does the Macs Mouldings crane compare to the original?

They both make up a good representation of the crane, the kit one obviously needing a little more work due to how its made. I only went for the macs mouldings as it seems I'd lost a few bits during the intervening years of starting the kit and now and it doesn't seem that Model slipway sell them separately anymore.

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 06:55:02 am »

Hi

This may be of some help with the rear deck doors.
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2020, 01:50:59 pm »

Hi Fred, that's brilliant thank you. Also gives me some good reference for tidying up the scuttles.

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2020, 04:13:14 pm »

Hi 110dance

If you P/M  me with your email address I can send you some more photos,  that I was sent from the brokers that sold her.

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2020, 11:28:09 pm »

Thanks Fred, PM sent

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)]More progress today. I cut the bow thruster tubes and faired them in then finished drilling the holes for the portholes and a few others around the Hull. Finally I marked out and bonded the deck support strips to the hull[/color]

DSC_0235.jpg
DSC_0242.jpg

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2020, 07:59:28 am »

Hi

Photos sent, nice work by the way better than mine.

Fred

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2020, 09:24:25 pm »

Not much done today apart from a bit more progress on the crane. The ram is dry fitted only and the winch is tacked in to get a position these ill paint separately and fit in position later on. 1/72 airfix lynx behind it for scale (finished that off as well while I was at it)

DSC_0269.jpg  DSC_0267.jpg 

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2020, 10:46:16 pm »

More crane work today, not been in the garage as been putting my Colchester student back together.

Main sub assemblies are finished, I just have to take them apart and do some fettling to the joints and paint them. I also made a start on the two handrails that are fitted to the work platform. I set the height by taking the minimum handrail height set by HSE (900mm) and divided by 32 to get me 28mm high

DSC_0285.jpg  DSC_0283.jpg  DSC_0286.jpg 

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2020, 01:38:10 pm »

Hi 110samec

One thing I forgot to say was when you get to the wheelhouse take a pattern of the windows before you make up the wheelhouse, this will help when it come to cutting out the windows from the perspex.

Fred

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2020, 11:33:06 pm »

Thanks Fred, I will do. That's a job I'm not looking forward to too much.

Been sidetracked with other things but I got the chance to do some more on the atlas crane. Fitted the hydraulic solid pipework and finished the handrails (got to tweak the first one a little). It's all ready for paint now before final assembly. The third picture is how it will roughly look in position on the deck hatch

DSC_0347.jpg  DSC_0349.jpg  DSC_0350.jpg 

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2020, 03:47:20 am »

Hi 110samec

Your doing a great job with the pipe work a lot better than I did on mine, in the end I just gave up an used copper wire as its bends a lot eraser than brass.

Fred

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2020, 09:38:44 pm »

Nothing too big progress wise other than wiring up the bow thruster and I've sprayed the crane with a coat of vallejo RLM04 over a base of grey primer. Still needs another coat before starting on weathering and final assembly but I'm happy with how it's coming out

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2020, 01:27:48 am »

Well done  :-))  ...hydraulic machinary yellow can work wonders over the visual image of semi translucent plastic

You could go to the extreme & paint the hydraulic fluid tube spools the International Standard colour of light mustard/orange, and the Stauff Poly clamp shells green........but after the first docking most units were given a one only colour coat........naturally Naval type vessels had grey hydraulic machinary

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.