Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Velox 1904  (Read 1422 times)

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
Velox 1904
« on: November 12, 2020, 04:30:49 pm »

Please see pictures of my 1/48 scale Velox torpedo boat destroyer. This is about nine years old and is powered by a Cheddar Models MKII boiler and my own designed/built double acting oscillating engine.

The hull is balsa coated with fibreglass both inside and out for strength. The hull is actually about 1" deeper and about 4" longer than the plans as I needed to ensure sufficient displacement and stability for the steam unit. The superstructure is also 1/4" deeper to provide for ventilation slots along the edge for airflow. The boiler room is quite tight so there is a separate air supply by a small computer fan.

In the engine room shot (sorry its a bit out of focus) there is a white ducting which takes air from the fan to the boiler room.

Also shown forwards is the oil separator and the gas cut off valve. I get 25 mins sailing out of her and speed is a fast walk so bring her in at about 22 mins. Sometimes I get this wrong and run out of water so after a couple of near misses I converted to 2.4 radio and added the gas shut off valve so am much more comfortable.

Despite the narrow beam and draft I still had to add about four pounds of led beneath the boiler room to bring her down to the waterline and despite the brass guns she is really quite stable.

Hope this may be of interest

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Velox 1904
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 04:31:27 pm »

Last one

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 04:46:43 pm »

In the sixth picture down between the second and third funnels an extra hatch can be seen which shows the pressure gauge so I can see what's going on as she sails past!

Cheers

Geoff

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 05:19:21 pm »

Geoff thank you for sharing, the level of detail is lovely to see. As you say also looks fabulous on the water. Does the engine drive a single prop or twin props? Your solution to cutting the gas supply is one that I will be fitting to my boat, the bits arrived last week. Does the seperator tank warm the gas tank? How did you decide on the colour scheme? Sorry to ask so many questions.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 05:26:58 pm »

That's a really lovely model - well done, sir!  :-))

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 11:15:00 pm »

Thank you for your kind comments. The oil separator does indeed privide gentle heat to the gas tank. At the end of a run the gas tank is hsnd wark which is just about perefct. In this way the waste exhaust steam heat is used to heat the gas tank and keep the pressure up.

The colour scheme is satin black, dark grey for some of the decks or courtecine for other parts all as per the books. Amidships the deck was painted as the heat from the boilers could melt the glue used to help keep the courtecine down. Notice also the two berthelon collapsible boats.

The engine geared one to one drives two counter rotating four blade coarse pitch props. I thought that by building this into the engine bed plate it would be a good idea, but was wrong as too much splash, so much so there is a splash guard bulkhead to reduce the mess. If I did it again I'd have a separate gearbox further aft. I could modify Velox but ccan't really see the point as she works just fine.

Cheers

Geoff

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 11:18:25 am »

Geoff, the canvas folding life boats look really nice, how did you make those?

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 02:20:55 pm »

They are basically a thin crescent of ply with overlapping layers of cotton painted to provide the collapsed look with added thin ply edging and seats. The real boats folded out on the centerline and the thwarts locked together. There were also small uprights which slotted into place to keep the sides up, basically a canvass boat. They were used on the destroyers due to limited deck room as much as weight considerations. Early destroyers were really quite small so the freeboard was limited and boats were liable to be smashed and damaged.

Further aft are two ready boats of the usual pattern. I have them inboard as they would be too fragile to have them outboard. On the model they are a pain as I have to remove them to get access to the interior so I can oil the engine before sailing.

So far they have survived quite well, better than I expected!

Cheers

Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.