Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: steam pinnace.  (Read 2492 times)

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
steam pinnace.
« on: May 21, 2020, 08:01:52 pm »

Just bought a book on Phillip & sons, Shipbuilders. On the fly sheet found this outline drawing of a 50ft steam pinnace, with all you chaps building WW1 warships, I thought this may be of interest. Also they seemed to have built quite a number for the Admiralty.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
Re: steam pinnace.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 08:05:12 pm »

Hope it works this time

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 08:25:01 pm »

Is that the same as the one in Portsmouth Dockyard?

Colin

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 04:21:14 pm »

Hi Colin, could not say, but I expect so, I would surmise the Admiralty used a standard generic plan for all their contractors. With some variations by different contractors, much like warship classes put out to different yards with the contractors adding their own touch here and there. There is a interesting hull for you to look into, the "Research" a non-magnetic hull, a twin mast aux sailing vessel  of 770tons displacement, launched Oct 1937, work suspended, then towed by the P.A.S. tug Atlas to Devonport to be scrapped locally. Beautiful hull lines, make an interesting model for some one. It was built by Philips and son.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 06:13:13 pm »

There's an excellent book by N.B.J. Stapleton,  Steam Picket Boats and other Small Steam Craft of the Royal Navy.  You can get it on Amazon at the moment for around 8 quid..  It has some great illustrations.  Steam Pinnacles or Picket boats came in several sizes 47 ft,  50 and 53 feet.  They changed ever so slightly depending, presumably, on where they were built.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 09:05:33 am »

What is interesting is that not all 50 foot pinnaces were the same beam. Some were about 9 feet and others were about 11 feet. The portsmouth one is the narrower version. I found this out when building Invincible. I used the plans from the anatomy of the ship Dreadnought and they are the wide ones so when built they would not fit on the flying deck.

On checking the Sambrook plans and the original plans in Battlecrusiers they both showed the narrower version. It might not sound much but with 3 abreast at 1/96 scale it makes a difference of 1/4" gap (between the boats) and this made all the difference.

There were also earlier versions with twin side by side funnels. In general they remained unchsnged from about 1880 through to the end of WW2

Cheers

Geoff

Seacommander

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 09:24:26 am »

Always liked the look of these,
Surprised that there are not more models about
Does anyone know if there is a real life survivor in running condition?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 11:31:15 am »

Yes, there is one at Portsmouth and very nice it is too.

https://www.nmrn-portsmouth.org.uk/exhibits-and-collections/steam-pinnace

Deans Marine do two versions as kits.

Colin

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 03:41:33 pm »

Always liked the look of these,
Surprised that there are not more models about
Does anyone know if there is a real life survivor in running condition?

Chylds Hall models do a really nice 1/48th scale early type Picket boat. (Twin funnel).
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Seacommander

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 09:42:32 pm »

Hello,
Great response - thanks very much
I would like to try and blag a trip on that...
Thanks again

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 10:07:41 am »

Although I have stopped selling fittings on my site I still have in stock some of these pinnaces at 1/96 in resin and w/m for sale .

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
  • Do it nice or do it twice !
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 09:55:17 am »

Hi John,
 Do you have the Hotchkiss gun at 1/96th for the pinnace?
 17-09  Alan...

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 01:18:31 pm »

The 3pdr Hotchkiss gun is available from 3D Boats on Shapeways.  It comes as a set of 4 guns for less than 10 pounds.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/EQAS9RXAW/3-pounder-x-4-1-96?optionId=42230694&li=shops

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 03:42:49 pm »

In the background to the photo from TailUk appears to be at least one Torpedo Boat Destroyer (Velox), I am starting to recommision an old torpedo boat destroyer so would like to know more about them and to talk to model boat owners of the early torpedo boat destroyers, thank you

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2020, 05:38:28 pm »

Hi, I have a scratch built model of Velox to 1/48 scale. Actually I extended the hull by about 4 inches and the depth by about 1" as I wanted to put a steam power plant in it and felt wise to accept the slightly non-scale element to get sufficient hull volume and displacement. It all worked fine and the power plant is a Cheddar Models Puffin MK II boiler and my own designed and built double acting in line oscillating steam engine. Maximum  speed is a fast walk and I get 25 mins sailing before I run out of water so tend to bring it in at 23 mins!

As it was steam powered I also increased the main deck superstructure height by 1/4 inch so I could have some ventilation slots. Also I used a small computer fan to duct air directly into the boiler room. I'll try and find some pictures and post them.

I've been sailing her for about nine years now and the only change I have made is to switch to 2.4 radio and install a radio controlled gas cut off valve as too many near misses in running out of water!!

My model was plank on frame using balsa which is rare for me as I find it too fragile but it was then fiberglassed inside and out and has proved to be quite rugged. I was very conscious of weight saving for the steam plant but in the event I needed four pounds of led beneath the boiler to bring it down to the correct water line. I've had no stability issues despite using brass for the guns and If electric powered I would not anticipate any stability problems at all certainly at 1/48 scale.

There is an excellent book from "Shipshape" by David Lyon called The First Destroyers which is probably the best available and contains full plans for Velox. Its about £30 but well worth the cost. There is also an excellent book called British Destroyers 1892 - 1953 by Edgar March. This is a very large volume and has fold out original plans of nearly all the destroyers. Trouble is its long out of print and my second hand copy cost me £90 about 12 years ago but your library may have one you can get hold of.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2020, 05:43:15 pm »

As an add on there is another good book by Friedman - British Destroyers from earliest days to the second world war. Not bad at all - Amazon £30.

They make very nice and interesting models.

Cheers

Geoff

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2020, 07:57:04 pm »

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2020, 08:18:14 am »

Geof thank you will pm you since I do wish to distract the conversation away from the steam pinnace

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2020, 04:20:43 pm »

No probs, in the meantime please find Velox. I'll post a new thread on Warships with other pictures

Cheers

Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.