Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mtroniks G2 Hydra30  (Read 2078 times)

rich_morris

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Mtroniks G2 Hydra30
« on: June 13, 2020, 06:38:18 am »

Hi,

I purchased a Mtroniks G2 Hydra30 ESC, which I originally intended to use with NiMh batteries, as I had a few from use with cars.
As it turns out my old NiMh batteries are about dead, so I thought I'd get some LiPo batteries.
Now I'm a beginner with those, and am not sure about those just yet - I'm reading up.

But regarding the ESC, I wonder if it has a low voltage protection. It's described as LiPo safe, but I really don't know what that means.

Does anybody have any knowledge of that type is ESC?

Thanks

Rich

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mtroniks G2 Hydra30
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 09:16:56 am »

The mtroniks advertising - https://www.mtroniks.net/prod/Boat-Speed-Controls/Hydra-30.htm - and the instructions in the link at the bottom of that page are both shy about what "LiPo Safe" actually means.  It could mean a drop in power giving reduced speed, a cut of power saving battery drain but leaving the boat drifting, or intermittent intermittent power.  All of which are warnings, but doesn't say.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 09:33:57 am »

LiPo safe is all about protecting the battery from over discharge. Most likely has a pre set cut off of 3.2volts per cell at which point your boat is stranded until the voltage recovers slightly which might get you back to the bank slowly.
Better spec ESC's can be set for battery type and voltage cut off level or no cut off.

LiPo batteries can be regarded as damaged by the charger if the voltage reads too low and it will refuse to recharge it
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
ANDY

rich_morris

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 09:43:22 am »

The mtroniks advertising - https://www.mtroniks.net/prod/Boat-Speed-Controls/Hydra-30.htm - and the instructions in the link at the bottom of that page are both shy about what "LiPo Safe" actually means.  It could mean a drop in power giving reduced speed, a cut of power saving battery drain but leaving the boat drifting, or intermittent intermittent power.  All of which are warnings, but doesn't say.

Thanks, that's the same information I have on the basic instructions that came with it. As you say, it a bit shy on detail.
I've dropped them a message to try and find out!

Rich

rich_morris

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 09:45:45 am »

LiPo safe is all about protecting the battery from over discharge. Most likely has a pre set cut off of 3.2volts per cell at which point your boat is stranded until the voltage recovers slightly which might get you back to the bank slowly.
Better spec ESC's can be set for battery type and voltage cut off level or no cut off.

LiPo batteries can be regarded as damaged by the charger if the voltage reads too low and it will refuse to recharge it

Thanks. It's that type of problem I'd like to avoid!

I've dropped the manufacturer a message, so hopefully they can clear it up for me!!

Rich

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 09:52:36 am »

You can trick the charger into charging by first setting it to NiMh on the lowest current and charging back above 3 volts per cell. Then switch back to LiPo balance charge for the correct cycle. Must not be left un
supervised doing that and only as an emergency if the batteries are quite new
ANDY

rich_morris

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 09:33:23 am »

Hi,

I got a response from Mtronics:-

The controller automatically detects battery type at switch on and sets [/size]the cut off required.[/i]
[/size]
[/size]It will run at a slower speed for a while to alert you that the battery is getting too low and give you time to get the model back, then at a certain point, it will cut power completely to protect the battery.
[/size]
[/size]Rich

Steve40

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 01:22:16 am »

Thanks for posting the answer. I have the 15 amp version in one of my boats and also wondered how the battery protection works. Haven’t run it long enough yet to find out the hard way so it’s nice to know there will be some juice left to get it back to the pondside.

Cheers

Steve

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 08:37:46 am »

Hopefully they will take on board that the printed instructions and advertising are a bit vague in this area, and amend them for the future.  After all, it is a valid selling point.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.