Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plasticard and building from plans?  (Read 1900 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Plasticard and building from plans?
« on: May 24, 2020, 12:25:48 pm »

Im curious how you actually do this. Ive built balsa gliders and planes from plans back in the day but, most of the parts were either part cut or stamped into the balsa or pre cut to shape. So, building from and on the plan was pretty straight forward, sand the edges neat and stick together. Ive built a couple of Model Slipway kits which are great but even there, most parts either have outline printing or part cut out and the plan is really a line drawing for where bits go.

But what about a 1/72 scale model such as, say, a Royal Navy type 23 using sheet plasticard to build virtually everything from plans except the hull?

How do you get a highly detailed plan and transfer superstructure sides etc to a large sheet of plasticard and mark it out accurately for cutting? OK, it might be relatively easy to transfer measurements to card with a rule and set square for a pure box section but most superstructure isnt a square box.

What methods to scale builders use? The paper plans are normally printed on are too thick to see through and position the card underneath so that wont work?!

RST

Re: Plasticard and building from plans?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 12:55:00 pm »

It's not really any different to building in wood in that respect.  Just measure off the plans and check dims aftwards, same when I use ply or obechi sheet. Works for me.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 12:55:47 pm »

I simply use carbon paper others may know different good luck with your build.

Stan

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 01:44:56 pm »

If you cover the plasticard with masking tape you can check the measurements before you cut and it also prevents the pen/pencil/ruler/protractor from slipping. Works for me :-))

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 01:48:30 pm »

Often a solution is to photocopy the relevant area of the plan and stick that to the plastic with a fairly low tack adhesive then cut out along the plan lines.  I usually base new models on a card model of the same subject so can do the same with paper copies of the card bits.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 02:16:11 pm »

If the part is sloping, such as a wheelhouse window, you have no option but to measure the appropriate lengths from different views and mark your material. As has already been said, no different from working with other flat materials.
Good luck with your build.
Don't Assume Check

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 03:05:28 pm »

And you can cut plasticard with a sharp knife.  Score it part way through then bend it over the edge of your bench and snap it.  It may need a bit of sanding to clean up the cut edge.  This works for many curved cuts, too.

I have built the Model Slipways Loyal kit and a scratch-built small ferry from plasticard.  I like it better than balsa. 

You can glue it with methyl ethyl ketone, MEK solvent...

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.