Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.4 GHz Rx Antenna placement  (Read 2155 times)

Terry

• Full Mayhemer
2.4 GHz Rx Antenna placement
« on: May 24, 2020, 07:14:05 pm »

I am a first time user with 2.4 GHz, Futaba T2HR. The instructions regarding antenna placement are for RC cars, Whip aerials etc. What is the best way to use in a boat, horizontal, vertical, above deck, below deck.
Your advice please,
Cheers, Terry.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
Re: 2.4 GHz Rx Antenna placement
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 07:44:45 pm »

I found anywhere as long as it is above the water line, eg, Velcro to underside of deck in an easy to get to position. Usually away from motors and battery wiring.
Works for me.

John

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 09:01:26 pm »

I am a first time user with 2.4 GHz, Futaba T2HR. The instructions regarding antenna placement are for RC cars, Whip aerials etc. What is the best way to use in a boat, horizontal, vertical, above deck, below deck.
Your advice please,
Cheers, Terry.
Futaba 2.4Ghz is or should be very good at rejecting interference even with a brushed motor. Im actually surprised how long the single aerial is on this receiver, you'd think they'd use shorter twin aerials. Orientation isnt really an issue unless the rx has twin aerials where one should be at 90 degrees to the other. You shouldnt have any issues with it horizontal under the deck.
Whatever you do, dont shorten the aerial though!

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 09:15:34 pm »

Im actually surprised how long the single aerial is on this receiver, you'd think they'd use shorter twin aerials.

It appears that the radiating element of the antenna is the last part of the cable  - white in colour - comparable in length to other RX 2.4ghz antennas  -  the rest of the grey cable is likely a coaxial feeder.

If this is the case it's quite a smart solution as it allows you to mount the RX in the depths of the hull and take the radiating element of the antenna to an appropriate location remote from the main RX body.

C-3PO

I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 09:37:43 pm »

Hi Terry,
 2.4 GHz must be above the water line as it will not work below the water line that's why it's no use for subs.
         Regards Howard.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 08:37:47 am »

Yes its the inch or so at the nd that does the receiving, so the radio can go anywhere convenient letting the aerial go where needed. 
The active bit of the aerial needs to be above the waterline, it should be remembered that anything that can conduct electricity will, if in line of sight between transmitter and receiver, block the signal.  Dry wood and plastic, OK.  Metal, soaking wood (shouldn't happen, but still....), carbon fibre, metal plated plastic, all of these can block the signal. 
Single aerials don't care which way they point.  Twin ones do say in the instrucions that the two elements should be at 90 degrees to each other, but it doesn't matter whether thats vertical or horizontal or anything between.
Old style long aerials were difficult to block, the relatively tiny 2G4 aerials can be accidentally blocked much more easily.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.