Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Solar Charging batteries  (Read 1794 times)

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Solar Charging batteries
« on: May 25, 2020, 10:31:50 am »

Has anyone set up a Solar charging station for their Lead acid batteries so that they are trickled charged at all times ?.

If so what sort of panel have they used ?.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Solar Charging batteries
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 11:19:33 am »

I have not done that ,however I know there is a solar charger for the battery for a 12 volt electric fence try a search for that, the panel is about 12" square .
David

Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 11:46:49 am »

Yes have seen them, along with ones to charge caravan batteries, just trying to see if it would work to trickle charge them as my Work shop roof gets the sun most of the day so would be ideal and the batts would hopefully be fully charges when required. Just hoping someone had done it first  :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 02:39:57 pm »

Our club uses a 100w panel with a controller to recharge our three 12volt 100 amp/h batteries in the club house.
The batteries are connected in parallel and are on continuos charge, the controller manages everything automatically.  The kits are intended for use in boats and caravans, search "12v solar panel kit" on ebay etc.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 08:12:02 pm »

Assume these might be a bit to much for a 12v 7ah   {:-{ , Lowest I can currently find is 10ah. and is not a silly price.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 08:27:30 pm »

The controller automatically reduces the amperage according to the battery's voltage and stops once the battery is at full charge.  It then simply holds the battery at full charge as necessary, with no need to ever switch it off.  I can leave the boathouse with the unit charging the batteries at 4 amps and when I return the following week the reading is zero.   If all the LED lighting has been on a while, the unit will be supplying sufficient power to run the lamps and nothing more.

The solar unit is fused and requires no maintenance, the battery is treated just the same as all lead acid.
Even I can work it.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer

RST

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 09:16:53 pm »

If I recall, someone on here is doing it the past year though they said they put batteries in parallel without split charging which might work OK, but is not really how it's supposed to be done.

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 10:13:01 pm »

Larry give Iain a ring at component shop he uses a solar charger to charge his batts when attending outdoor shows

Dave

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 10:21:33 pm »

@TheLongBuild   That unit is exactly what you need.  The cheaper 10watt is probably sufficient too if you are not using the battery every day.

@RST   The kits are often used in vehicles/boats that need greater A/h than a single battery can economically provide and they happily recharge a bank of parallel batteries.

Oneof our 100A/h leisure battery powers the electric outboard motor on our workboat and another supplies the electric powered weed cutter.  Once they run down, they all go back on the parallel charging rack and all are fully charged when next needed.   We have used this system for 4 years with no problem at all.

RST

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 10:34:44 pm »

@RST   The kits are often used in vehicles/boats that need greater A/h than a single battery can economically provide and they happily recharge a bank of parallel batteries.

Hi, -no "@" on my user name by the way!  ...I know but it's not supposed to be done that way -no question on capacity to do it.  You are supposed to have some form of split charge set-up.  No doubt it can be done without.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 09:24:25 am »

Plugging a well discharged battery into a parallel bank of charged batteries means that the charged ones will rapidly discharge into the lowest voltage one bringing it up and pretty soon they will all be equal.  There is a strong chance that they will do some blowing of bubbles internally while doing that.  Battery life will probably be reduced as a result, but if it is within reasonable limits, no serious harm done.
A split charge arranfement gets round that by stopping the charged batteries from discharging into the battery needing the charge.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.