Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Tutorials & "How To’s" ...

Cutting thin brass tubes....

(1/2) > >>

mikromodell:
For cutting thin brass tubes I always use a knife as this video shows: https://youtu.be/lxKDMCLUsEo
RegardsHarry

roycv:
Hi, I agree I use a knife and roll it but always put some wire in the tube in case the cut off piece jumps off somewhere obscure.
Roy

CGAux26:
I use a tubing cutter.  It's made just for this job.

RST:

--- Quote from: CGAux26 on May 27, 2020, 10:37:24 pm ---I use a tubing cutter.  It's made just for this job.

--- End quote ---

Same here but they won't do down to the size I think the OP is posting about unless you can post a link on a tool otherwise that will do down to 1-3mm?  (I think OP means small diameter tubes).  I also use same knife blade method in the video (doesn't even need to be that sharp, no need to waste a new blade), need to remember though it has to be rolled on a flat, incompressible surface otherwise the tube bends, and it does usually still leave an external and internal ridge.  Internal ridge I sometimes treat with a "bead reamer" if rubbing the end square with wet and dry sheet doesn't fix.

--- Quote ---always put some wire in the tube in case the cut off piece jumps off somewhere obscure
--- End quote ---

.....never thought of that!  I usually get about one part for every 4 or 5 attempts that ping off or I drop on the carpet after parting!  I changed to laminate but it doesn't help either -these little bits just roll off in to a corner somewhere!

Rich

grendel:
use one for cutting brake lines, they go down really small (actually looking it up 3mm is the smallest.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version