Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Toutou / HMS Mimi  (Read 2300 times)

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
HMS Toutou / HMS Mimi
« on: May 27, 2020, 11:37:33 am »

I decided sometime back that it would be nice to have a little runaround for a bit of fun at some competition meetings...

So I decided on the HMS Mini kit from Deans Marine, here is a bit of info from Wikipedia..

HMS Mimi and HMS Toutou were motor launches of the Royal Navy. After undergoing an unusual journey from Britain to Lake Tanganyika in the interior of Africa, the ships played an important role in the African naval struggle between Britain and Germany during World War 1...

as most modelers i buy a kit so as to save time producing parts by scratch building..  but then again there is always the kit modifier.. which i guess i belong to.. and the instructions are not always followed by..
 one skips from stage to stage while glue is drying which means that for some one reading the instruction and then following this build log could be slightly different..

so here goes..
 preparing the hull marking all the holes that i would like and were i would like them, and the lines so as everything lines up with each other when installed..
applying the deck beams..
 i have opted for twin rudder unlike the real ship that had only one rudder Purley for stearing competitions..
 the parts for the propshafts "P" bracket i have made my self..

the start has been made.. hope you all enjoy.. any questions are welcome..

rob

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Toutou / HMS Mimi
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 01:05:17 pm »

Watching with interest Colin

in my own little world

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 10:39:39 am »

the Cockpit and rear "well" can not really be called superstructures as they go under the deck line..

But they are built in much the same way.. its just a case of getting your head around the numbers..
here is a row of photos of the Cockpit, Hopefully this would help most modelers..

the rear and foredeck are quite straight forward..

It is only the fordeck, the Cabin roof and the last part of the sterndeck (which forms the hatch to get to the servo) that actually get glued to the hull, the remaining structures remain removable..

You might notice that I needed to alter the size of part No. 27, well really the forward part of the Cockpit well, as the motors that I have chosen to use, sit slightly higher under the Cockpit well than the motors that are recommended in the instructions..  nothing really hard to achieve.. there is enough plastic In the kit to do this..
being as this is a laser kit.. and not a printed plastic kit, here come the drawbacks of laser kits, against the printed plastic kits..
With the laser kits, you are stuck with the piece of plastic that has been cut..
With printed plastic, you can redraw the size you require, before cutting the piece out, if there is enough room..

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 10:53:36 am »

just to be on the safe side i added a bulkhead to take the strain of the reasonably long propshafts, before the couplings were put in place a couple of brass tube Mockups were used to align the motors and motor bulkhead while the glue sets..

once every thing was in place and I was happy with the setup and the glue had gone off, the brass tubes were removed and the couplings installed..

i have opted for a M-troniks 10 amp ESC, should be ample enough as the motors only draw about 3 amps on full load…  free running or in water is about 0.5 - 1 amp, she will be running on a 2 cell lipo, which should give me about an hour of running time, ample for competitions..

I have added, or should I say, I have doubled up the sides of the Cockpit area of the hull, leaving a gap of about 1.5 mm between the bottom of the side panels and the beams that the decks are glued to..
This creates a slot that the Cockpit structure can slide into, so it's secure in place and can not fall out..
Also this gives more area for the cabin roof to be glued to.. 

I am not to sure if it's clear in the instructions, but all of my rear decks (cockpit well, seating well, rear deck) are at the same hight, and interlock with each other, so they should not fall out, no rubber bands or the likes of to hold them in place..

As I have mentioned, I have hardly used the instructions, but in there, are diagrams for bending the brass for the cage over the rear seating area, again I have not used theses as I have added some brass tubing so as the cage is removable, and I do not have to think about the legs of the cage all being the same length so it looks right..  all soldered together and cleaned up..

just a few bits here and there, then i can start painting the Hull..
some of the fitting have been built, and a few still need to be cleaned up..

slowly but surely..

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 01:02:54 pm »

It's like an infant Monitor Colin! That looks a super model so far and look forward to seeing updates on this build  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 02:07:04 pm »

In case you haven't already seen, there are a couple of earlier threads on Mimi/Toutou via https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62210.msg655582.html#msg655582

My article on my 1/32nd build was in September 2019 Model Boats.

I see there is now a high resolution shot of the original builder's model at https://ago.ca/collection/object/agoid.106379

Have you looked at suitable figures for the crew yet?

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 10:35:58 am »

Deansmarine do 1.24 scale figures, so I will probably get one or two from there..

the 3 Pounder and the Maxim have been painted.. i am not really into grey ships, so that's why i have brought a bit of colour into this model…

on the Maxim i have added the handles, which were made out of a bit of brass tube, brass wire and a couple of rail stanchions

the Hull has been painted under the waterline.. yes, I use tamyia masking tape, in veritable widths, from 5 mm, 10 mm and 18 mm

the decks have received there first coat of paint.. by the way, I brush paint all my models with Humbrol enamels, once dryed I then coat the whole model with varnish..

The wooden strip that you can see on the outside of the Hull, is real wood, and supplied In the kit, glued to the Hull with cyno, before painting the rest of the Hull I have given this a few coats of Humbrol satin clear..

You might notice... on the top of the rear deck and also on the top sides of the rear seating and cockpit wells, you can see some small square strips (from slaters or Deansmarine), you will also notice that from the rear working forward they overhang (interlock) part of securing the decks to the Hull, these parts are not supplied in the kit, nor mentioned In the instructions, but I thought they look nice, adds a bit of motor launch look to the model..

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 11:08:43 pm »

It's coming along nicely and those weapons are beautiful, especially the 3Pounder. I have always liked these little guns, so versatile and omnipresent.
Pond weed is your enemy

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 09:01:54 am »

Thanks for the complement..

The windscreen on the top of the cabin/engine room has been slightly altered by me, I made it out of "U" channel plastic, the inside mesurments are that of the windscreen glass, then on top a layer of slaters micro flat plastic.. this can be seen in photo 17 in the forground before it was glued to the cabin/engine room roof ...

here is a close up of the front window frame…
you should be able to make out the "U" form and the micro flat plastic to strengthen the joints and give it a little more profile..

the next photo shows my Modell nearly complete, just missing the windows (clear plastic), portholes, and the black water line.. once the black water line hast been painted, i can then give her a coat or few coats of clear satin varnish..

I have eventually made a stand for HMS Toutou, this was made out of a bookshelf, the edges have been milled down to give a nice profile instead of the edges been in square.. the tressles have been made up out of the wood that normally comes in deansmarine kits to make the deck supports..
Once all was complet it was coated with furniture oil, the tressles received a pad of felt so the hull can rest smoothly on them..

Just need a bit of time to get some photos under steam..

nearly forgot to attach the photos..

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 12:12:09 pm »

I wonder what kind of kick back / roll the boat would have experienced if they trained that gun over the port or starboard side.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 12:37:02 pm »

When I first saw this model, I had the exact same thoughts...

If I remember from what I have read about these boats, during the test on the themse, the roll was noted as pretty serious, so they only fired the gun forward..

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 01:42:47 pm »

This shows the folding slatted side platforms that were fitted  at Lake Tanganyika before going out to do battle.  In theory, they should allow the aimer and loader/ammo number to work the gun over a wider arc but other photos shows how readily the craft listed when there were an unbalanced number of people onboard so it would seem likely that the gun could only be operated over a very limited arc.  Taking into account the considerable motion that would be experienced on the foredeck at speed and the very ramped space they had to work in, the gun crews did very well to achieve any hits at all!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2020, 10:10:49 pm »

I should think that with a range of about 5000 yards, the boat would want to get in much closer to get accurate shots. Given the dash of the Royal navy, I would sneak in at night, get several close range accurate shells into the target and then scoot off.

Brilliant work on the boat, and I like the stand as well, really nicely designed.
Pond weed is your enemy

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2020, 05:13:35 am »

Shoot and run.. my thoughts exactly  O0 {-)

Thank you very much..

Yes, I like to try and pesent my models in there best light, which means a nice stand for them to sit on, like in dry dock.. 

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2020, 09:12:11 am »

Most of the story around Mimi and Toutou, and certainly the most fun, revolves around the personalities involved. Forget about RN tactics etc. It all became a bit of a farce so beware of putting too much weight on the heroics on the lake!
Tony

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2020, 01:47:34 pm »

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29603/supplements/5417
Gazette Issue 29603 published on the 30 May 1916, p.5417
DSO
Cdr. Geoffrey Basil Spicer-Simson, RN:
"In recognition of his services in command
of an Allied flotilla on Lake Tanganyika on
the 9th February, 1916, when, after a chase
and running fight lasting 3¼ hours, he sank
the German gunboat "Hedwig von Wiss-
mann."
p.5418
DSC
Lieut. Alfred Edward Wainwright, RNVR
"In recognition of his services in command
of a motor-boat on Lake Tanganyika on the
occasion of the destruction of the German
gunboat "Hedwig von Wissman" on the
9th February, 1916."
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29886/supplements/10
Gazette Issue 29886 published on the 29 December 1916, p.10
DSC
Surgeon Hother McCormack Hanschell, RN:
"In recognition of his services with the Tan-
ganyika Flotilla. The comparative im-
munity from sickness enjoyed by the mem-
bers of the expedition was due to the unre-
mitting care bestowed by Surgeon Hanschell
on the health of the personnel and on the
sanitary state of the camps and vessels."
Lieutenant Arthur Darville Dudley, RNVR:
"In recognition of his services with the Tan-
ganyika Flotilla. He showed great coolness
and skill in handling his ship in all circum-
stances."
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30182/supplements/7070
Gazette Issue 30182 published on the 13 July 1917,p.7070-7071
Part III. - THE TANGANYIKA NAVAL EXPEDITION
Awards to members of the Expedition:
Distinguished Service Order and Special Promotion to Commander
Commander G. B. Spicer Simson, R.N.
Distinguished Service Cross
Lieutenant A. E. Wainwright, R.N.V.R.
Lieutenant Arthur Dudley, R.N.V.R.
Surgeon H. McC. Hanschell, R.N.
Distinguished Service Medal
Actg. Chief Petty Officer W. Waterhouse, R.N.
Petty Officer 1st Class D. J. Murphy, R.N.
Petty Officer D. Flynn, R.N.
Petty Officer William Sims, R.N.
Petty Officer Mechanic Chas. Ernest Cobb, R.N.A.S.
Petty OFficer Mechanic Donald McLean Graham, R.N.A.S.
Engine Room Artificer 1st Class H. Berry, R.N.R.
Engine Room Artificer 1st Class J. S. Lamont, R.N.R.
Signalman George Sydney Tasker, R.N.V.R.
Able Seaman Herbert Wm. Marsh, R.N.
Able Seaman J. Brien, R.N.R.
Seaman G. Behenna, R.N.R.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2020, 03:13:05 pm »

That's only part of the story though. Spicer-Simpson allegedly enjoyed the art of self-promotion and fortunately the enterprise was politically expedient at the time, otherwise he would possibly not have showered with honours as much.
http://peterbaxterafrica.com/the-successful-conclusion-to-the-battle-of-lake-tanganyika/

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2020, 07:11:23 pm »

That's only part of the story though. Spicer-Simpson allegedly enjoyed the art of self-promotion and fortunately the enterprise was politically expedient at the time, otherwise he would possibly not have showered with honours as much.
http://peterbaxterafrica.com/the-successful-conclusion-to-the-battle-of-lake-tanganyika/

Throughout history it has often been the card carrying off the wall screwballs that have come up with the goods
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.