Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 900-ton barque  (Read 2117 times)

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
    • Miniature Merchant Ships
900-ton barque
« on: May 28, 2020, 03:48:36 pm »

Latest model - Scratchbuilt -
Regards
Positive

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 900-ton barque
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 04:19:39 pm »

I'm pretty much gobsmacked at your ability to incorporate so much detail in such a small scale, with the rigging, sails and copper plated hull, to name just a few items - congratulations on your quality build.  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 04:26:47 pm »

Hi Bob , I have always had the feeling that you actually own a giant size parker pen to include in the photo not your models . Joking apart I never cease to be amazed at the fantastic models you make , the detail is fantastic . Was this one you built to commission ?
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 06:59:10 pm »

Thanks,I never intended to finish this one.   Initially, it was just meant to be a bare hull to illustrate an article about how to make a hull quickly and easily.    It is much larger scale than my normal - it is 20 feet to 1 inch.   After I completed the hull, I liked it so much that I decided to complete it.   It is just a typical barque of about 1870, designed by myself, but following standard design principles of that era.     Another experiment was the plating on the bottom.   It took about 15 minutes and is actually an image of a brick wall stretched to the correct scale of the plates in the computer, printed on paper, cut out and stuck on in strips.    The hull is bread and butter construction made from 5.6mm thick sheets of balsa wood just cut with a scalpel.    No special tools at all for this one.   Masts, spars and rigging 100% metal - rigged with fine copper wire glued on in short lengths.   I haven't the patience for thread and millions of knots! 
The attached is, or was, my preferred scale for many years.   -  32 feet to 1 inch.    At the age of 76, it is getting a bit difficult at 32 feet to 1 inch. {-) Bob
Regards
Positive

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 01:05:27 pm »

BEEEEEEAUTIFUL work Bob  %% :-)) :-)) %% Just astounding attention to detail and not an un intended sag anywhere in the rigging.

Nice  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 01:09:18 pm »

Thank you - The curves are quite easy to put in when using wire.   Just stroke finger and thumb long straight wire, and it will develop a curve.   The harder the pressure, the more pronounced the curve - Bob   
Regards
Positive

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
  • What ever Floats YOUR boat
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2021, 07:27:11 pm »

Thanks,I never intended to finish this one.   Initially, it was just meant to be a bare hull to illustrate an article about how to make a hull quickly and easily.    It is much larger scale than my normal - it is 20 feet to 1 inch.   After I completed the hull, I liked it so much that I decided to complete it.   It is just a typical barque of about 1870, designed by myself, but following standard design principles of that era.     Another experiment was the plating on the bottom.   It took about 15 minutes and is actually an image of a brick wall stretched to the correct scale of the plates in the computer, printed on paper, cut out and stuck on in strips.    The hull is bread and butter construction made from 5.6mm thick sheets of balsa wood just cut with a scalpel.    No special tools at all for this one.   Masts, spars and rigging 100% metal - rigged with fine copper wire glued on in short lengths.   I haven't the patience for thread and millions of knots! 
The attached is, or was, my preferred scale for many years.   -  32 feet to 1 inch.    At the age of 76, it is getting a bit difficult at 32 feet to 1 inch. {-) Bob

Tell me about it ,.....know exactly what you mean Bob , but your detail is excellent  I take my hat off to you  Sir ...

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2021, 07:41:59 pm »

Thanks, I was very happy with the model.Just completed something more complicated - the four-masted barque Olivebank - 25 feet to 1 inch -Bob
Regards
Positive

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2021, 03:35:36 am »

Another lovely model  :-)) :-)) :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

reg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2021, 09:23:52 am »

More 1st class work. you make it sound so easy but its Bl***Y hard. well done
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.