Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Dambusters' Great Escape: Secret History TV program  (Read 1521 times)

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
The Dambusters' Great Escape: Secret History TV program
« on: June 03, 2020, 12:01:17 pm »

Did anyone else catch this program, about how the Dambusters sank the Tirpitz, on Chanel 4 the other night? Well worth watching, especially for the revelations at the end, which i had never heard about before. There was some incredible footage of the raid, which included the Tallboy Bombs being released over the target, quite amazing to watch.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-dambusters-great-escape-secret-history/on-demand/57176-001

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The Dambusters' Great Escape: Secret History TV program
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 12:18:48 pm »

Hi Charlie this was a repeat, when I saw it the first time and mentioned the extra information I was disbelieved so watched it again just in case I had it wrong!
regards
Roy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 12:29:22 pm »

It was a joint raid between 9 Squadron and 617 Squadron (or the junior squadron!) and official RAF history records that Flt Lt Tweddle’s Lancaster of 9 Sqn is accredited with the killing hit on Tirpitz. And I’m not just saying that being a former member of 9 Squadron! %)
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 01:33:50 pm »

Although there is glory in the past achievements of various squadrons in wartime and I know that in the last year of WW2 it was almost anything goes.  I did note the catch in the German fighter pilot's voice when he mentioned the almost 2000 lives lost in that sinking of the Tirpitz. 

As you get older you look back and wonder how we all got involved in that much spilt blood and are still doing so now.  I just think of all those mothers' sons!

I spent my time (just 4 memorable years)  in the RAF rotating between 59 squadron and the radio Servicing Flight and later on Transport command at Lyneham working on Vanguard transports who had Green Satin navigation gear slung under the fuselage.
 I had a good time and left on a high!  It was the day the AOC did his inspection and I did not have to go on parade!
regards
Roy

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 06:14:37 pm »

I spent my time (just 4 memorable years)  in the RAF rotating between 59 squadron and the radio Servicing Flight and later on Transport command at Lyneham working on Vanguard transports who had Green Satin navigation gear slung under the fuselage.

Perhaps another type? The RAF never operated Vanguards.
Regards
Kit

Firefly

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 08:38:10 pm »

I have to agree with Kit.  The Vickers Vanguard was never operated by the RAF.  It was a low wing, 4 turbo prop airliner designed to a specification by BEA for an aircraft capable of carrying 100 passengers and some freight over a distance of 1000 miles.  Later, Trans Canada Airlines (TCA) expressed an interest in the Vanguard but required more freight capability over its routes. Vickers duly obliged with the Vanguard Type 951 entering BEA service in 1961 whilst the Vanguard Type 952 entered service with TCA. Toward the end of their service with BEA a number of Vanguards were modified to carry freight only and had a cargo door fitted. These were designated Merchantman.  With the formation of British Airways, combining BEA and BOAC, the Vanguard was phased out of service with the remaining Vanguards and Merchantmen passing to independent airlines. The last Vanguard retired in 1996.

Perhaps the type Roy worked on at Lyneham was the Bristol Britannia, also a low wing, 4 turbo prop passenger/freight aircraft.

Anorak now removed !!  Mick

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 08:50:34 pm »

Sorry chaps it was indeed the Bristol Britannia not sure where I got Vanguard from?  Rather noisy but much bigger than the Comets we had.  Always seem to be running the engines at night but after a while you just tuned them out.
Thanks for the correction, nice to know someone reads the posts!
Regards
Roy (who is getting on a bit now!)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 09:46:44 pm »

Just watched..... very, very good .... wonderful end.

Spoiler Alert -  Lt Carl Heinrich Vesna   :o

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 12:51:36 am »

Am I correct in thinking the Vanguard was a development of the Viscount, or was it a completely new design?

Peter.

Firefly

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 10:01:46 am »

Hi Peter,

You are quite right that the Vanguard was developed from the Viscount. The Viscount was designed to meet a post war specification for a new airliner capable of carrying 24 passengers over 1700 miles at a speed of 200 mph.  Design work commenced in 1945 with the intent to use turbo prop engines as power plants.  There was a view that piston engines should be used and a parallel design, using piston engines, was commenced and which later evolved into the Airspeed Ambassador.

As the Viscount design progressed the specification was changed to increase the passenger capacity to 32. This resulted in an increased fuselage length and wingspan. The Rolls Royce Dart was selected to power the Viscount although the Mamba was also considered. The first flight was in 1948 and the Viscount entered airline service in 1953.  The type was sold worldwide with Trans Australian Airlines receiving its first Viscount in 1954.  The Viscount was later re designed to accommodate 48 passengers with some operators increasing that to 53.

A total of 445 Viscounts were built and the last flight took place in 2009. 

Hope you find that useful

Mick
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.