Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Avenger Too  (Read 3284 times)

SwordsmanDreamer

• Full Mayhemer
Avenger Too
« on: June 01, 2020, 10:26:23 pm »

Hello all

I greatly enjoy watching the classic film "Ride the white horses" (great music as well).

Anyway, the point of this enquiry is, does anyone know of any models of / roughly similar to "Avenger Too", the winner of the Round Britain 1969 race ? I appreciate that Avenger Too had outboard motors, but, presumably, one could dummy those up, i.e. end them at the waterline, with the true motive power coming from an "inboard".  It's more the overall shape that I admire. I understand that Avenger became known for their designs ("Don Shead" I think) , particularly the 21 footer. Perhaps Avenger Too was a prototype for the 21 ? It could be about that length.

Thanks.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
Re: Avenger Too
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 10:56:12 pm »

Hi

Your name isn't Dean by any chance is it!  ;)

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 11:00:23 pm »

Avenger Too was a 28 footer. That was the waterline length limit for the class in the '69 race.

And yes, she was a Don Shead design.
Regards
Kit

SwordsmanDreamer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 04:52:46 pm »

Hello all, thanks for your replies.

Chris - No my name is not Dean.

Kits - presumably Avenger Too was in a different class to the Huntsman 31 then ? Also, maybe it was 28 foot LOA that was the limit ? I suppose if I can't find a kit / plan of a fairly similar vessel, I could have a go at attempting to modify / bespoke some existing design, so it's helpful to know that figure, it's something to start from, can make a guess at the other proportions from that, so thanks for that.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 07:10:45 pm »

It's incredibly  difficult to find ANYthing about the results of that race, madness! I was hoping to find the different classes listed, but no joy at all.  <:(

I watched the first section of the race, effectively a Cowes-Torquay race, from Durlston Head just south of Swanage, and it was VERY impressive seeing all those quick boats shoot past about 200 ft below my feet!
Regards
Kit

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 08:12:23 pm »

As Kit says Avenger Too was 28 feet or maybe a tad under as it was at the upper limit of the OPII Class and was powered by three Mercury outboards to give a total of 375hp. In the race it was in the Fast Division.

The Fairey Huntsman boats were Class C1 boats and were in the Cruising Class. Most were Huntsman 28's but one was a newer Huntsman 31 Sport, one of which I'm building currently.

Unfortunately drawings seem few and far between for boats like Avenger Too and more modern craft, no doubt for commercial reasons.

Do you have the drawing skills to draw up your own plans from photographs?

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

SwordsmanDreamer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 09:17:21 pm »

Hello KitS and Chris

Thank you for your comments and the additional information.

Wow that's a memory KitS, fancy you seeing it live. And with boats that looked like boats as well  ok2  . By the way, what's the boat in your profile picture ? That looks a nice shape.

Chris - As to the drawing skills, I won't know until I try ! But necessity the mother etc. I take it that it is a model of 707 that you are creating ? I look forward to seeing that. I like the fact that the closing shot of the film appears to the reflection of the underside of 707's bow. As to my earlier question, that's 28 foot on the waterline - so probably something in the order of 33 foot plus for the LOA, given the rake on the bow ?

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 09:41:57 pm »

Hi

I was just going to build the Huntsman Sport as a change to the usual aft cabin version but having recently seen photos of the recently refurbished 707 and the fact that the Sport versions were built primarily for racing then that's probably what I will do. It will also save me having to plank the deck!

As to Avenger Too, I don't know what the rules were, waterline or OA, I'm guessing the later as the boat doesn't look that big.

Chris

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 10:14:26 pm »

Wow that's a memory KitS, fancy you seeing it live. And with boats that looked like boats as well  ok2  . By the way, what's the boat in your profile picture ? That looks a nice shape.

That comes  of  being so ancient I guess, and having a caravan at Swanage for many years, VERY handy for the Cowes-Torquay events.  :-)

My Avatar is Sony Levi's Delta 28, probably the most unruly powerboat ever built! They even tried it with a massive fin on the transom, and eventually gave up and added a lengthy prow on the waterline.

I have drawings of Delta 28 in both forms from Levi's two amazing books of his work, but he built more rounded bilged hulls rather than Don Shead's more hard chine designs.

Regards
Kit

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 10:39:22 pm »

Found a source for a side view drawing of Avenger Too. If you go to the Fairey Owners Club web-site and then to Books and then click on the link by the top book it takes you to books etc. by Charles Lawrence. He has one on off-shore power boats which includes Avenger Too. If you email Charles he'll supply the drawing for a small fee. He may be able to provide info. on the size.

Chris

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 09:13:19 am »

Apologies just noticed this -
Hi KitS we've chatted at Warwick Show on my King Lear club stand - the one packed with Fairey's,
I also watched the race but cannot remember the final results.

'The Cigarette' driven by Don Arownow won the race and that's about it for info which seems odd,
surely the results are logged as a part of history somewhere on the planet  - might have been one of the Tornado's in 2nd & 3rd?.
https://cowestorquaycowes.co.uk/cowes-winners/

According to the 1969 race programme 'Avenger Too' was 27'11" built by Souters of Cowes, cold moulded,
designed by Don Shead and powered by 3 420 hp. Mercury's, entered in Restricted Class II.

regards Paul

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 10:10:52 am »

Hello Paul,

Oh yes, we certainly did chat at the Warwick Show, at some considerable length as I recall.  :-))

And that's a wonderful link, some amazing boats shown on there, including the indomitable Surfury!  :-)

But the link concentrates on the Cowes-Torquay race itself rather than the much longer Round Britain Race. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the '69 Cowes-Torquay was just the first stage of the Round Britain, but many boats only took part in that stage, leaving the tougher crews to carry on. But it may have been two totally separate races, and more research is definitely needed.
Regards
Kit

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 01:19:27 pm »

Cowes-Torguay didn't form any part of the RBR. The first leg was Portsmouth to Falmouth and all entrants continued after that.

Chris

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 07:37:52 pm »

Ah, OK thanks.

The main course of the race would have covered pretty much the same routing as a Cowes-Torquay race, and passed me watching on Durlston Head. Where did you find that information please, as my searches on the race resulted up a big fat zero.  <:(
Regards
Kit

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 09:10:15 pm »

Because of my interest in Faireys I tracked down a copy of the book about the 1969 Round Britain Race.

Don Arownow and his ilk didn't enter as they were taking part in the world championships.

Chris

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2020, 09:39:15 am »

Found a small article re 1969 Round Britain race with finishing results -
The race attracted a variety of boats, from the pint-sized inflatable Psychedelic Surfer to an (unarmed) patrol boat. Also, a team of four Fairey cruisers – driven by Lady Aitken, Peter Twiss, Derek Morris and John Freeman – was entered for the purposes of diesel engine development by Ford Europe, while other racers included Avenger Too, Maltese Magnum Twin and UFO.
Partly due to mercifully settled weather, 33 of the 42 starters reached Inverness, though much midnight oil was being burned keeping craft afloat. The first leg of the trip south saw a change in conditions: rougher seas and a blanket of fog vastly reduced speeds as contenders groped their way to Dundee. Both Maltese Magnum and UFO ran aground, while the team of Makinen, Watson and Hendicot, in Avenger Too, wisely followed radar-equipped craft to find their way.

At the line it was Avenger Too first with UFO second. David Morris, at the helm of Fordpower, was third, Peter Twiss in Fordsport fourth and Lady Aitken’s Fairey fifth.
It was a hugely impressive performance by Faireys and Ford Europe; however, it would be some time before another Round Britain was raced.

I'm still on a mission to find info about a story mentioned at Warwick Show regarding Peter Twiss driving a gas turbine powered Huntsman?
the gent who related the tale had vivid memories of going out on the boat as a boy, to date I cannot find anything re this.

regards Paul

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2020, 10:11:23 am »

The only fast Makkinen I know of is Tommi so was it he driving Avenger Too in this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjiCoQjjNaQ

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2020, 10:43:25 am »

Timo.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2020, 11:38:26 am »

Ah!

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2020, 01:09:07 pm »

That's some useful stuff you found there Paul, well done.

As for Timo Makinen, he was a VERY talented rally driver, and drove for BMC, Ford, Peugeot and Toyota at various times.

I had the really scary experience of being driven by him, aboard an Austin-Healey 3000, back from Heathrow to Abingdon in the 60s. I don't think a single speed limit on the way remained unbroken!  {:-{
Regards
Kit

SwordsmanDreamer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2020, 09:45:36 pm »

Hello all

Thank you all for all the very interesting information. It's amazing how asking one question can lead to so many fascinating facts emerging ! Kit fancy you being driven by Timo Makinen. Chris thank you for the link and the information about Charles Lawrence, I shall follow that up. I have just watched the video of the 1969 race that you posted Paul, enjoyable and interesting. That "White Tornado" is reminiscent of the "Leslow Arrow" (to my eye), and thanks for the information about Avenger Too.

It's funny you should mention Sony Levi, I was only thinking yesterday that I can't think of a model boat kit / plan explicitly based on one of his designs ( though I don't pretend to be an expert) - but I can't think of any models of the Triana / Omega 828 / Corsair etc - all handsome vessels that one might think would attract the attention of modellers.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2020, 11:26:59 pm »

The classic Sony Levi boat is Surfury, of which there was at least one kit and quite a few plans in various scales. At one time no regatta was complete without at least one Surfury.  :-)

Being a hard-over fan of Delta 28 I've been trying to build a small model of her from an Otaki plastic kit, the thread's here :- https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16045.msg159204.html#msg159204

But don't expect too much, I've not made much progress since then and that was over 10 years ago!

One day...………………
Regards
Kit

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2020, 04:44:05 pm »

The classic Sony Levi boat is Surfury, of which there was at least one kit and quite a few plans in various scales. At one time no regatta was complete without at least one Surfury.  :-)
[/l][/l]

Sadly, Surfury is in the "care" of the National Maritime Museum.  The last that I head of it, it was in their store at Wroughton , in serious need of a bit of TLC. Sorry but having orientation issues with photo!

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2020, 05:02:17 pm »

Wroughton!  :((

What a pain of a place that is! They used to have 2-3 open days a year there, and there are some superb exhibits in the hangars, but the last two they events 'announced' didn't happen for some reason, and I drove there both times to be met with closed gates and unfriendly security men.

Wasn't Surfury at a place near Basildon at one time? I'm sure I saw her there once, a long time ago mind you.
Regards
Kit

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2020, 05:26:05 pm »

It was on loan from the NMM to the Motorboat Museum at Watt Tyler Park, near Basildon. Several years ago, the Motorboat Museum was closed and the exhibits returned to their owners.

There was some interest amongst full size offshore power boaters in trying to restore Surfury a few years ago, but I think that they got caught up in the legalities of things.  As I understand it, the deed of trust of the boat to the NMM , allows them to loan it to a suitable organisation but not to sell it or dispose of it. Most organisations who would want to renovate would want owner ship before committing a great deal of money to a boat that has been off the water for the best part or 45 years, and was reasonably fragile when built let alone now.  The facility at Wroughton was due to be moved to a new build, much more spacious facilty planned for the location but I haven't heard of any progress on that for a while. I believe that the current building houses overflow from the Science Museum too
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.