Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bestshipmodel.com OK?  (Read 1999 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Bestshipmodel.com OK?
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2020, 06:19:15 pm »

Seems to confirm it is just another rip off operation then.

This is the reason why plans supplied with kits are not comprehensive or always to scale and require the actual kit pieces to complete the model. There is always somebody trying to make a quick buck from other people's work.

Colin

RST

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2020, 06:29:19 pm »

That's interesting. I was going to mention that site also. I downloaded some things from it before but could never open what I'd downloaded after. I couldn't remember whether it was check or polish but both wrong!

.rar used to be a way of renaming a .zip file to get it through virus checkers at work. You just used to rename it back to .zip but it doesn't seem to work like that more recently. Someone maybe got wise to it and changed the .zip programing?

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2020, 06:31:45 pm »

Yup, there are 4 sheets that actually correspond but its a big jump from the frame page to the next ones which are detail, so you'd have to have a fair idea of Spanish builders of umpteen years ago!The only things I'd add for Sojourners marital peace are 1.Fully rigged ships are always bigger than the space allocated and 2. You've got to dust the bloody things and the smaller they are, the more you break!
Has anyone got the bulk index that used to come with Model Shipwright? I wonder if there was a build in there?

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2020, 08:06:04 pm »

.rar used to be a way of renaming a .zip file to get it through virus checkers at work. You just used to rename it back to .zip but it doesn't seem to work like that more recently. Someone maybe got wise to it and changed the .zip programing?
.rar is a different file compression system to .zip. Commonly used for very large files as it splits the compressed file into sections, even if one section is lost it can recover the full file so if often used for video or music files. A good decompression program for .rar is WINRar. Once run this will sit in the background and all you need to do is right click on the file and there are options to decompress in the menu.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

RST

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2020, 08:24:32 pm »

hi Jim, I can only comment based on what we used to do. Actually it wasn't our company but often the person sending the files where .zip used to be blocked by IT. So we renamed to .zip once we had them and it all came back to normal. I don't doubt it wasn't technically right.  But sometimes you had to get round daft IT policies!  It's not the stupidest IT thing I've seen by a long way!!!  It was worth a shot mentioning. Just in case, but might explain why it's not worked more recently.  I must admit having done that for years I didn't even know .rar was a legitimate file extension so thanks for that info!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 23 queries.