Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I reduce my photo's to add to a topic  (Read 2992 times)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
How do I reduce my photo's to add to a topic
« on: June 03, 2020, 11:15:20 am »

I might appear to be trying to teach how to suck eggs, but it a common question that comes up, how do I resize my photo's or they wont upload.

So hopefully the following may help those who have the programs on their pc's - sorry in advance
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Re: How I reduce my photo's to add to a topic
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 11:28:02 am »

The only problem with size reducing is that sometimes the text gets to small to read

Basically - I moved the files from the source i.e. a camera or phone (in my case the latter) and put them in the core file i.e. where they are going to be stored, in this instance the desktop, for victory it is the main folder, when the photo's have been uploaded to the thread I move all but the last one to the Mayhem sub folder so I know what the last number was.

I use paint to combine several pictures and then in some cases have to reduce that in size again by 80% to remain under 500 KB.

On the reply portion, if you click on Attachments and other options there is a bit below that says Choose file, clicking this opens a dialogue box and you navigate to where you left the altered photo, if there are more than one to upload click on the (more attachments) up to a maximum of 10 and repeat the choose file.

Sorry I thought the combined pictures would still have the text large enough, doh.

Oh! and when you open Microsoft Office Picture Manager - no a picture of my copper coupling will NOT appear

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 01:39:47 pm »

I always marvel at how complicated Microsoft apps can be.  When I stated posting picture I was recommended to try a open source app called Irfanview.  Free to download without any ads or spam  Irfanview can edit,  resize, crop or adjust colours.  I downloaded it several time over the years as new version came available and never had any issues.  I don't understand why everyone doesn't use it.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 01:51:38 pm »

I use MS paint within Windows 10.

Find the image you want to post, right click on it with the mouse and select "edit".
Once open in paint click "resize" and type in a number like 20% or 30% normally does it in the "horizontal" box. Maintain aspect ratio should be ticked so the vertical box will also change to the same number.
Select "save as" if you don't want to overwrite the original file or simply close the window saving changes.
Post that new image.

Takes seconds and works very well.

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 03:34:25 pm »

True, paint is quite good but although it is usually bundled with all pc's I never really liked it, so either way is as good paint or MSPM, the reason I use the MSPM is it means i can go down the list of pictures to change without having to open each one individually in paint through the open command, at the bottom of MSPM there is a little blue arrow for forward and backward, makes it so much simpler, on to the new photo's.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 05:11:16 pm »

Pix Resizer  Free, and have used it for over 6 years.

Will resize 1 to a lot of pictures in one go.. Most I have had to do was 1000 in one go, and had no probs.

https://bluefive.pairsite.com/

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

RST

Re: How do I reduce my photo's to add to a topic
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 09:37:01 pm »

If you have it (and it's still a free download) MS Picture manager really is the simpltest for quickly reducing or correcting pics...

• Open picture
  • Go to "Picture" menu at the top, last option "compress"
  • Select "documents" for a big picture, or "web pages" for a small one with less resolution, "E-Mail" for a much smaller one (not so much use)
  • Click "OK"
  • Go to "File" menu and save as etc.
...Thats it in about mouse 5 clicks, couldn't be much simpler!!!  No need to worry about pixels or ratios etc.  All of them work for me to upload as an attachment.  Absolutely no need for other programs if you have it unless you prefer or desire something else!  MS are insane to have got rid of it, but it IS still available as a free download, even from them.  Actually you can do similar in their new replacement guff program, but it was much more intuative before.

Rich

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 10:52:51 pm »

If you have it (and it's still a free download) MS Picture manager really is the simpltest for quickly reducing or correcting pics...

Now called: SharePoint Designer 2010   -  https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/where-is-picture-manager-58837c3e-34db-4904-95e8-4eca7b7c5730

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

The Old Fart

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 08:57:25 am »

I use the 'snipping tool' that comes with Windows.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 01:52:59 am »

I have used Light Image Resizer 5 from Obvious Idea for years. It's easy and, best of all, it's free (as long as you don't mind a few ads) and quite versatile.

Peter.

RST

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 03:49:42 am »

Not quite Martin. It's in the package, but still called picture manager as your link explains. Just un-tick everything else, or just tick picture manager box, bobs your uncle. Or it used to be that simple anyway.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 07:18:51 am »

.... close enough!   %)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 11:18:23 pm »

Found this old post.... it still works!

This resizer seems simple enough! - https://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/
It says it works on all flavours of Windows.

Basically, install it, open Windows Explorer ( or find your photos on your PC / Laptop ) select the ones you want to resize, then  Right Click  _   Resize Pictures
(  NB. Make sure you select Custom Size to 800 x 600 )

2nd photo shows file size difference before - after resizing.

RST

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2020, 11:31:04 pm »

Just to add, as it's not worth adding to the Co2 content in the atmosphere asking my IT to reinstall picture manager again!

On the new MS picture viewer which seems to come as standard.... Go to the top right of the image and (from memory) there are 3 dots in a row. Click on that then in the drop-down menu there is an option to re-size, similar fashion as the old picture manager but not quite so clear. Click on the size according to what you wan to do and "save as".

It's not as good as before, but Microsoft seems to think we have a battery and SIM card shoved up our bum as soon as our umbilical cords are cut these days. Functions are still there apparently, but like every thing else, just completely unintuitive now.  Bring back XP I say!!!!!

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2020, 11:39:50 pm »

Is it posible to have an auto resizer on this form like RC groups and Facebook have. This would help when up loading from phones etc.
John

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2020, 12:25:32 am »

Is it possible to have an auto resizer on this form like RC groups and Facebook have. This would help when up loading from phones etc.
John

Yes John...... it just needs about £5-20,000 software development costs!

( SMF forum software was never designed to be picture friendly.... I've have...... Many heated augments with them!  {:-{  )

RST

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2020, 12:57:42 am »

....to back Martin on this. Forums in my experience shouldn't be image hosters for the reason Martin said. It costs a lot of money to do this stuff.  It's not beyond realms of reason to put limits on forum uploads, particularly when it's relatively easy to do on the computer first.  Martin is a cheapskate compared to other forums I've been on -not to take that the wrong way at all but he offers a lot for a pittance contribution for what's offered really!  I don't agree with some things on here, but pictures are thankfully relatively easy compared to other forums I've been on. I just wished they would show when you're not logged in but that's an entirely separate discussion!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2020, 01:15:49 am »

...... errrr.... Thanks?!   ok2

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2020, 01:17:22 am »

I just wished they would show when you're not logged in but that's an entirely separate discussion!

What do you mean RST?   {:-{

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2020, 07:32:40 am »

Martin

I think that he means that unless you are logged onto the forum the pictures are simply not there in most threads - and never have been. My browser is set to delete all cookies when I close the browser down so whilst I can see thread text anytime I visit if I want to see the pictures I must log in each time.

An example is this thread:
https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,59355.msg694169.html#new

Not logged in then no pictures are visible. Logged in you see the pictures. There is one exception to this. The picture of the very large diesel engine being lifted into a ship that you posted about half way through the thread is there whether I am logged in or not. I have always assumed that it depends on how the picture was entered onto the forum.

The fact that you can't see most of the pictures on the forum unless you are logged in and you can't see any of the pictures on Facebook without an account keeps it exclusive.  O0 %) O0

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2020, 08:25:35 am »

This is a simple one to solve!

If you are not logged into Mayhem - and access the forum url you are designated as a "GUEST".

The SMF Forum settings/permissions for the GUEST profile/group would need to be amended - "view attachments" would need to be activated/checked for that group.

However this may not be a smart thing to do.

There are people with a slow internet connection or accessing using a mobile device where they are conscious of data usage - a page that has many photos can be an issue in terms of load speed/data usage - at least logging out and accessing the forum as a guest allows you to quickly read the text in the posts.

But more importantly allowing "GUESTS" to view attachments could severely affect the forum performance and response speeds: - as I write this post 102 GUESTS are logged into the forum - (genuine guests and search engine bots)

>>> The internet data traffic bandwidth and usage would increase dramatically - which if Martin does not have as "unlimited" could soon run out and require many more $$$ in the Mayhem fuel tank

>>> The forum could grind to a halt as the "search bots" crawl the website and can now also access "attachments" and the extra bandwidth consumption that places on the server that is also trying to serve logged in users

Update - Images will always appear in your post if they are hosted on an "external" server and you simply post the image url link in your post - the above text relates only to images that are uploaded as part of the SMF forum software using the "attachments and other options" function

caveat emptor

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2020, 08:41:02 am »

Thanks C-3PO, those are the reasons.

BUT,  if you the ModelBoatMayhemImages service, your images are always publicly visible.  :-)

( See: https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,61103.msg644304.html#msg644304 )

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2020, 08:56:40 am »

I actually prefer that only members can see my pictures & that they don't end up on Google Images. I was not asking for it to be changed.

I am not sure about C-3PO comments re slow/ metered connections as I wonder just how few of us automatically delete cookies & need to log in each time we visit.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2020, 11:39:33 am »

I delete all cookies every monday - then have to go to Lidl to restock that day  :P
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.