Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fly Navy!  (Read 1660 times)

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Fly Navy!
« on: June 03, 2020, 02:11:33 pm »

It seems the RN is now in command of 617 Squadron!  A few crabs turning in their graves, I bet.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2020/june/02/20200602-1sl-visits-raf-marham

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: Fly Navy!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 03:33:33 pm »

It’s becoming more and more common these days.
RAF Cosford was renamed DCAE Cosford for a while because it became tri-service having different station commanders rotating RAF, Navy, and Army.
Harrier squadrons were all joint at their end, and most helicopter squadrons are multi service these days.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 04:24:36 pm »

Ah, I am clearly behind the times.  What next - female pilots??!!   ok2

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 04:39:38 pm »

Grag there's lots of female pilots these day some flying front line jets at war one was flying with the red arrows  some Royal Navy ships have female commanders even some females in or taking tests to get into the SAS                                                                 Regards Howard.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 05:11:32 pm »

We had a female Navigator called Helena on Tornado and she deployed everywhere we went even to areas where is wasn’t exactly safe to be a military woman. I remember one incident at Akrotiri where the Tornados would taxi back down the perry track on one engine normally. However this one time the aircraft Helena was sitting in didn’t and when it pulled in to the RES the canopy was instantly opened to allow some fresh air in to the cockpit. Because she was used to only having the right engine running she instantly put her helmet and maps on to the intake only to her horror to see them disappear down the gaping mawl of the RB199! She bought the mech trade on both shifts some cream cakes knowing that the engine would have to be changed. She was so apologetic but really it was the pilots fault for changing procedure!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 05:16:33 pm »

Grag there's lots of female pilots these day some flying front line jets at war one was flying with the red arrows  some Royal Navy ships have female commanders even some females in or taking tests to get into the SAS                                                                 Regards Howard.
Yes, I think you missed my  ok2 !

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 05:48:54 pm »

Hi all, when I was doing a (RAF) radar course in 1957 we had young ladies also training on wireless and radar.  It has been going on a long time.
regards
Roy

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 06:11:32 pm »

My youngest daughter's in charge of the unit at RAF Shawbury that's trying to produce a training programme to train RAF, Navy and civvie Air Trafficers to handle the F-35s in their various roles.

She reckons it's like trying to train mice to trust cats...……………  :-) ok2
Regards
Kit

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 07:54:44 pm »

During my exchange tour on the A-6 Intruder with the US Navy (1980-82) we had two female pilots train on the A-6. One was very good, the other thought she was very good! On one Carrier Qualifying detachment I was flown on board in a C-2 COD by a female pilot. At that time female crews on US Warships was limited to training vessels.

John

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 01:57:05 am »

During my exchange tour on the A-6 Intruder with the US Navy (1980-82) we had two female pilots train on the A-6. One was very good, the other thought she was very good!

In fairness, I have seen that situation in every group of people I have worked with. Male, female, tech, non-tech, officer, enlisted, managers, and workers. I am not trying to be PC here, the best managers I have had were women, the worst were men.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.