Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMM Wavemaster 34.  (Read 5129 times)

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMM Wavemaster 34.
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2020, 11:22:56 am »

Hi Mark
If your Wavemaster is the one I sold as a member of the Nottingham Model Boat Club over ten years ago then its an original Hammersmith Model Makers Ltd version. It was bought  as a shed bound, damp sodden wreck from a chap in Stoke on Trent. At that time the Basset Lowke motor was wrapped in a brown grease proof paper bag and jammed up the bow.  I stripped and cleaned it and fell for the lovely "Tick-Tick" sound when it was running. At that time I also bought , rebuilt and finally sold a rare Maycraft Mercury... wish I still had them in my fleet.
Regards

Terry H (now residing in Oxfordshire)

Seacommander

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2020, 11:51:47 am »

Hi Terry,
Thanks for contact ,
Yep, it's me.
I still have both boats, just as they were. They really could do with a bit of TLC now and a re-paint.
The little motor is still going well, OK it was last time out about two years ago,
They were a nice pair of boats, and still are.
I have collected an amount of old wooden boats over the years. I Like them allot, they have a  certain nostalgia and innocence.
Yep the motor still ticks along with distinctive sound.
Do you still have the Der SeaKadette ?
Cheers and stay safe
Mark

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2020, 12:05:53 pm »

Hi Mark

Glad to hear the old boats are still pootling along. Look after that Mercury they're like rocking horse poo these days
I had to move to Oxfordshire with work 9 years ago and finally retired 6 years ago... I miss the camaraderie and sailing location of the NMBC, I keep meaning to pop back some time.

Lockdown has meant many hours spent in the shed on new projects and the Seekadette has been rebuild during the Summer , ready now , I hope , for  a sailing in 2021.

Stay safe and regards to those that remember me at the Pond-side

Terry H

Seacommander

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2020, 12:15:48 pm »

Thanks Terry,
Great to catch up.
I'm not doing allot of boating these days but, do still like the hobby.
Like you, I've done more in the shed this year.
Pleased to hear that you still have the Seakadette, I know it was quite special to you. 
I'm more into steam now as well, but lack the building skills that you have, just waiting to have a little more time in life.....
Cheers & stay safe
Mark

Seacommander

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2020, 12:20:26 pm »

Bob,
Thanks also for the reply, hope I've not hijacked your thread.
See Terry's notes, and I Look forward to the rest of the build.
We should have a nostalgia day and vintage meet up -
When this god damn Virus is sorted and it's safe........
Take care and best of luck with the build
Thanks
Mark

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2020, 12:35:14 pm »

Wavemaster pics from Zooma......

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2020, 12:38:08 pm »

Hi Mark,

Your contribution to this thread is very much appreciated and has directly led to your model being identified as an original HMM Wavemaster 34 - so we now know its provenance and that it was rescued from a damp shed and restored before you bought it.

These old models often seem to have a "damp and rescued" history - including my HMM kit that had been stored in a loft for many years and became damp - fortunately the plans and the building instructions were dry (!) but the wood had warped and there are some signs of dampness on the box label.

Yes - I would love to meet-up and take part in a nostalgia and vintage event when we are able to do so.  If you follow my threads you will see that my main interest is in "classic" model boats that I can remember seeing and sailing in the early 1960s when I was a member of the Bath Model Power Boat Club when we used to mainly run on the River Avon and the Kennett and Avon Canal.

Sadly, I am finding it quite hard to find some of these old classic models to add to my fleet, and those that I have been able to acquire have usually been in very poor condition that have taken some time to rescue and bring back to life - and some (such as my Wavemaster 34) are being built from scratch rather than breaking up a complete original kit that someone else may enjoy collecting or building after I have finished using the plans and handbook as a reference.

Stay safe!

Bob.

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2020, 01:11:19 pm »

If anyone happens to know the history of this interesting British classic model boat I would like to know when it was first designed and when the different kit manufacturers made it.

As someone with an interest in early models I've just searched through my "Model Ships and Power Boats" publications and found a review of the Wavemaster when it was first introduced by Hammersmith Model Makers Limited, the date is July 1952.

I've attached a scan together with another of the advert on the back cover.

I do have a Wavemaster myself, together with a Spraymaster that I'm waiting to restore.

Mark

Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2020, 01:30:35 pm »

That is very interesting Mark as it puts the production date back at least another year to 1952.

All of the previous information that I have about the original HMM Wavemaster 34 kit is that it was designed by L J Rowell in 1953 !

Given that the model received "testing in very severe conditions on the Sea and the River Thames (as referred to in the HMM building instructions), and the time it would have taken to make the kit and print the plans, building instructions and box label etc , it could well be that this design could have started its life at least a year or two earlier - perhaps even towards the end of 1949 early 1950?

It is also interesting to note that there is no mention in the HMM kit building instructions that give credit to L J Rowell for designing the kit, but the (undated) plans clearly state that the model was designed by L J Rowell.

Bob.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2021, 07:23:19 pm »

It’s good to see that Harry also found an HMM Wavemaster 34 kit in the U.K. and that he is making some progress with it - but not using the jig build method?
I have to admit that making the jig is a bit of a Pfaff for just one boat, but if I ever decide to go into bulk production, the jig is ready and waiting to spring into action! {-)

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2021, 10:10:22 am »

Hi Zooma

I am building mine with some changes what is installed first !!!

So bottom skins first followed by spray rails !!!

Motor mount and drive line already installed.

Extra stringers on the hull bottom for added strength.

Harry

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2021, 10:21:25 am »

I had a copy of the original H&M building instructions and plan so I followed the sequence of building a jig and assembling the hull on the jig until after it was skinned.

The cabin sides (and windows!) have been cut out.  I will check the building instructions but I think these cab sides get inserted next!

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2021, 10:33:08 am »

Hi Zooma

I had no plans, so the cabin sides became my jig and with two bulkheads missing, along with the keel.

As you can see, I am not too bad at problem solving !!!

Tomorrow I am adding the other hull bottom skin !!!

Harry
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.