Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tiny delta  (Read 5485 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Tiny delta
« on: June 05, 2020, 05:26:04 pm »

This tiny 340mm delta, built from 3mm depron and using the Wltoys F949 board is my friend's design, based on one he saw on youtube. After I saw his flying very nicely, I decided to build one as well. I have still to test it, it is 22g with a 100mah battery from my racing mini. These lasted for 20 minutes of mini racing, it will be interesting to see how long they last with a slightly bigger motor, and probably using more throttle. My friend used 2mm depron for his, I only had 3mm. It has 1mm carbon leading edges glued on, then sellotape over . He used carbon pushrods, mine are bamboo from a roller blind. His is 19g with a 70mah cell. Pretty close. Thrust from my motor is 16.5g, he reported his as pushing 21g, maybe a better battery or maybe my motor? Mine was from a well used quadcopter, his had much less use and was a different make. If mine flies ok, I will be happy with my 16.5g thrust.
 As my F949 board has a dead servo, I ordered another one from China, my friend has given me one of his boards so I can get flying, he will get my new board when it arrives. Hope to get out for some flying soon, its pretty windy when the plane weighs under an ounce.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tiny delta
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 02:08:54 am »

I managed some test flying, it flies well, very responsive, and it has a good speed range, although my friend's one is faster, his is 2/3rds the wing thickness of mine, but I also think his motor is better.
I am happy with mine but extra power is always nice. I will try a different motor on it at some point.
It is a capable flier that can be flown in tight spaces and it fits in my rucksack in its protective box (shown in the photo above) .

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 08:08:50 am »

Nice little plane

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 12:28:42 pm »

Thanks, my friend gets the credit. It must be the minimum amount of bits you can make a plane with. I can give dimensions if anyone is interested?

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 07:00:13 pm »

My friend flying his tiny delta, short video here
https://youtu.be/gYmcism7XnE

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 06:12:31 pm »

An update on progress of the tiny delta, it has been flown many times now and is a tough little plane that flies nice. I have fitted a better motor from a quadcopter I got in a swap for car/truck bodyshells. Definately more power now.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 11:52:10 am »

Sore shoulder today..... While flying the tiny delta yesterday, a big gust of wind caught it and blew it over the top of some trees, avoiding action was taken, but just too late...... Stuck 40 feet up in the branches! Nooooo!
25 minutes of stick throwing eventually dislodged it but I thought I was going to have to leave it there. After many crash landings with no damage to it, this is the only thing I really have to worry about with this little plane. At least if it does ever get lost, its only a £13 board and some depron. It doesnt stop me from trying to get it back though.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 10:58:51 pm »

After messing about with masking tape to hold my battery, I decided to do a decent battery holder from fibreglass packing tape. Works perfectly and stays in place.
I have been getting more used to flying this awesome little plane, the new whizzy motor makes this a fast little plane that can go vertical until it gets hard to see. It will also cruise around at quarter throttle. I have been practicing some fast circuits, hitting a commercial bin with no damage, I love this little plane.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 11:40:29 am »

I am still enjoying this little plane. In the photo above, notice that the underside has rib lines drawn on it from a different project, this is the best thing I could have made from that bit of depron,capable of slow enough flight for the dog to chase it, but also capable of going really fast or straight up for as long as you want. Numerous crashes, a lot of them at full speed, has shown that it is tough, very tough. The motor is safe at the back, occasionally the prop pings off but no motor damage so far. The nose section is still sound, carbon leading edges joined at the front with a small blob of hot glue seem to have prevented any dings or squashing. Fits in my rucksack too. 😁

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 08:37:28 pm »

I had a long flying session with tiny delta yesterday, testing my way through some of my recycled e-cig cells. I have quite a few as shown in other photos. Any cell found to have poor performance was given 3 attempts to prove itself then retired if it never performed properly. I had several good ones, a few medium rated ones, not 100% but ok for a while.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2020, 11:57:54 am »

The voltages written on the cells in top photo are after sitting for 6 months to a year after being charged. I have been working my way through them, starting with the highest voltages first. I have quite a few still to test!😁

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 08:01:06 am »

With small models performance is, as you know all, about weight. You seem to have a source for an enormous number of e-cig cells! Are they 1S Li-ion cells and a smaller version of 18650 cells?

I am interested in your receiver module. I am guessing that you need to use a WL toys transmitter? What can you tell me about range?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2020, 09:23:07 am »

1. That's a lot of e-fags Andy.

2. That's a LOT of Alka-Seltzer!   :o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2020, 01:24:58 pm »

Alka seltzer boxes collected over a long period of time. E-cig cells were given to me by a friend. They are lipos, 3.7v around 280mah. I will check the number on them and post it soon.
I am using flysky 6ch radio, the range appears to be as good with the F949 board as with standard flysky receiver. The rx setting is changed in the transmitter settings. Apart from that everything else stays the same. I dont have the wltoys transmitter, I only bought the boards. 4 so far but I hope to get more, they are amazing. I can put a post on showing the transmitter and what you have to set it to to work the boards, it takes about 20 seconds.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2020, 04:39:53 pm »

Here is the Flysky FS-I6X transmitter that I use with the wltoys F949 servo board. The photos show what you have to change to use the boards. The setting is retained for each model memory so once that model memory is selected, no further changes are required. So far, I am flying 5 planes off the same transmitter, though not all at once! Lol.
 The e-cig cells are marked 08570, 8mm diameter by 57mm long. Removed from a '10 motives' e-cig. The innards are removed by pushing the battery and cotton wadding out from the white end with flat end of a pencil. Tiny wires cut and battery charged on either B6 type charger or I use syma X7 chargers.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2020, 04:55:22 pm »

Thank you. Going away for a look around the internet.

I have used the Parkzone/Spektrum bricks but they are not as available as they were and the price has gone up enormously if you can find one. The advantage was that some of the later examples worked with 5g brushless motors.

There are some very light (1.7g) servos out there but the wiring is always such a mess!

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2020, 05:07:56 pm »

Here are the servos I have ordered for my Ridge Runt.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2020, 05:36:59 pm »

Not much you can do about the wiring really, I have shortened wires on some of my stuff but usually just stuff it in there. Lol. Works as a form of padding?

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2020, 08:45:52 pm »

Not much you can do about the wiring really, I have shortened wires on some of my stuff but usually just stuff it in there. Lol. Works as a form of padding?

OK with a full fuz but it looks such a mess on a profile model. Padding - that's a new excuse!  :-))

When they quote weight of components they don't seem to include wiring & connectors which can add quite a lot at the size of these components.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2020, 09:06:18 pm »

I know, they normally dont include the weight of the wiring, plug or an output arm?! A 9g servo is actually about 12g

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2020, 09:46:56 pm »

I just thought I would mention that I have no experience with the wltoys F949 transmitter, but I dont think it offers the range of settings that the Flysky transmitter has. The F949 board has a socket for a rudder servo, which I mixed until it thought it was the elevator servo when my elevator servo failed. Lots of mixing variations are possible with the flysky tx and F949 board.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2020, 07:36:32 am »

Thanks Andy.

I am used to the idea with 2.4Ghz that things differ between manufacturers so that you can't normally just swop round bits between them. The fact that a WLToys receiver works with a Flysky transmitter was therefore a surprise.

Are you aware of a cheap but good brick that has an esc for a small (5gramme) brushless motor?

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2020, 10:46:56 am »

Hi, I haven't heard of any that work with brushless motors, thats why I have just been using the dc quad motors. Myself and my friend have had pretty good results with these though. Using gearbox units from syma X7, I have flown models up to 36 inch wingspan. My experimental canard flew with a standard X7 gearbox but pretty marginal, I have fitted one of my whizzy motors (from an Akamino S6 drone) to the gearbox but have still to test it with the new motor, I need more F949 boards to save me having to swap them about, even though its not difficult.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2020, 12:34:52 pm »

Andy
I have a problem with understanding some of what you are saying as I know absolutely nothing about drones. You obviously know a lot about these drones and have a supply of them.

To me coreless pager motors (which is what I think these are) are defined by the case diameter & length. eg an 8mm diameter 20 long case motor is an 820. There is, of course, also the rpm bit which I realise that can be difficult to know.

Gearboxes are a ratio of the teeth on the 2 gears. Syma X7 gearboxes doesn't get me far but obviously means a lot to you.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2020, 02:00:26 pm »

The syma x7 is a small quadcopter that uses 8x 20mm motors in their gearboxes. They are £10 delivered and are one of the best quadcopters I have found at this size. 4 motors and gearboxes a battery and a charger for £10 is pretty good, or you can just use it as a quadcopter. I am not an expert, I just buy or swap stuff to build models. My bigger wltoys v262 quads were bought as a batch which dropped the price enough to make them amazing value. I will post a few photos of the X7 quad and its gearbox units
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.