Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tiny delta  (Read 5461 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tiny delta
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2020, 02:12:30 pm »

Here is the syma x7 spaceship quadcopter and a pic of the gearbox

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2020, 03:21:54 pm »

The syma x7 is a small quadcopter that uses 8x 20mm motors in their gearboxes. They are £10 delivered and are one of the best quadcopters I have found at this size. 4 motors and gearboxes a battery and a charger for £10 is pretty good, or you can just use it as a quadcopter....................

I like the places that you look a lot more than I like the places I look.

Where do you find the X7 for £10 delivered?

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2020, 04:05:57 pm »

Ebay. Will post link if you want

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2020, 04:23:32 pm »

I just had a look, says item is out of stock. Just a bit too late.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2020, 04:47:19 pm »

It may be worth contacting them to see if they have any returns, if you just want it for motors/gearboxes battery and charger. You might get a decent discount? To be honest, I thought they were a bargain when they were still £20

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2020, 08:24:52 am »

R. I. B. Tiny delta (rest in barley)
 During a flight in a sheltered spot, I ventured out over the barley field, a gust caught it and whipped it up another 20 feet, above the trees and into even stronger winds, nose down pick up speed, wind flips it upside down, so I pull it into half a loop hoping to get down under the stronger winds, now its going downwind over 3ft high barley, oh no, extra pressure got to get it near the edge so I can find it, I get it turned round and coming back..... Is it? Nope, its definately getting smaller, got to get it back while I can still tell whats the up side of the getting smaller shape, fighting back into the wind, full throttle, controls touchy as.... Oh no its heading away now, oh no cant tell which direction its going, I am still controlling it, so range is good, lol. Yip, its down, at least 1/4 of a mile away, I even managed to get a line of sight estimate of its position as it went into the field, oh no, never finding that, I thought! And I was totally right.. I never saw it again. Waaaah. Its the risk you take flying a 1 ounce tiny  plane in a wind over 3ft barley, I think even near the edge would be hard to find. Anyway, I will pass that way again and have another look, I dont have long, it looks near to harvest time........ Choppy choppy crunch crunch😩 so down to 3 boards now, with one of them having a dead servo, its still a perfectly good 3 channel set though so perfectly adequate for my fleet so far. Not built a 4ch one from it yet. I am thinking of a micro version of my Midknight plane, it was the plane I built after I learned how to keep my Precedent Hi Boy. 40 powered trainer in one bit. The main bit of learning to fly by myself was done on a 3ft electric plane called a champion Bigi plane for some reason. Cessna type, geared motor. I had too big a pair of servos, poorer battery, big receiver and it still flew, only took me a fuselage and wing replacement before I managed to fly out a full battery in one go. Without crashing. Lol. Anyway, I will try and find photos of my Midknights, I built a few of them, different sizes, nice looking plane. I built a lightened version with flaps, it used 6 servos, a y lead and 5 of my 6 channels, my most at the time. Flew really well, but wasnt as robust as my slightly heavier standard one. To be honest, what killed it was the soft balsa that I used soaked up the castor exhaust, that ran along the wing to fuselage join, causing it to become squishy in addition to the lightening holes I made in the sheeted bits. It flew nice tho, and for a long time before it was recycled. That means any non-oily bits went in my scraps box. Pretty much just the wingtips. Lol. I miss the smell of castor but not the mess.... Mmmm, wheres my smoke generator out of my tank? Electric planes that smell of castor, but no mess, be on to a winner there?
 Anyway, tiny delta is gone, amazing fun while it lasted, the adventures we had, stuck 30 feet up a tree, and virtually all heights down to ground level. Dislodge-able with sticks or paracord and a bolt. I only have black depron big enough now, but I cant even find a white one with fluorescent orange tips in the field so a black depron one is unwise.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2020, 08:36:02 am »

{:-{ <:( :((

It probably isn't as far as you think. Small models become tiny models when not that far away. Good luck when finding it. My local farmer would not be happy for me to wander around his rapidly ripening barley field.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2020, 12:16:17 pm »

I walked back and forth along the tracks left by his tractor. I know what you mean about being closer than I think. Pretty sure delta is going to get harvested.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2020, 11:16:35 pm »

I flew a quad with video in a (rough) search pattern over quite a lot of field, missing out the bits I knew it definately wasnt near. I had hoped I may spot it, but there are hundreds of bits that look like it but no fluorescent orange tips to be seen. 😩

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2020, 11:57:43 am »

Are you sure it landed in the barley - its like a small piece on a model that pings off into the distance, it never ends up where you expect, is it further on than expected?
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2020, 01:25:35 pm »

Hi, there is a line of small trees and bushes that border the field, I am 99% sure it came down on my side, in front of them, with a visible strip of barley between the trees and it. I  think its down between the stalks, and therefore invisible. Lol. Its 3 ft deep, so unless its visible from the tractor lines, I think its going to be harvested.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2020, 10:26:10 am »

Here are some pics of the field, showing wind/rain? damage and no sign of me little plane. Theres a few things that look like they could be it but a closer look shows they arent. Its got fluorescent orange tips but they dont stand out on camera like they do in real life.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2020, 10:23:46 am »

I decided that after losing my tiny delta, I want to build another one, only problem is that the only depron I have that is big enough is the dark grey/black variety. It isnt as rigid as the white stuff, but it is slightly lighter. Its main problem is visibility, both in the air and in long grass or up a tree. My original delta was made from a bigger wing skin I had drawn on ready to be used, but not used. Cant remember why. Anyway, I was looking at my wing collection, and spotted a wing I had made as a spare, but the original plane was too broken to repair, even with a brand new wing. After checking an edge, I found that the rubbery glue was mostly peeling apart, but I had to be really careful to avoid cracking the sheeting. An hour or so of gently easing it apart from the ribs and spar and peeling the remaining glue off with tweezers gave me 2 sheets, good on one side but marked on the inside where peeling the glue took some of the depron too, some places look quite deep but overall, I think I did quite well, recycling at its best.
 I have enough for 2 deltas, but hopefully only need to make 1, that leaves me a whole wing and more for another project, maybe 2 at this size. I have loads of scraps, but badly needed larger bits for wings. They have a bit of camber from being glued to a symetrical airfoil for 10 years. Lol. This can be eased out for the flat delta, or left in for undercambered wings. Just need to find some carbon leading edges and I am well on the way to a new tiny delta. I really should get more of these wee boards. Well impressed. I bought a pack of paperclips, thats me sorted for control rod ends for a good few years. Its working out to be a very enjoyable and fairly cheap branch of my modelling hobby. Its also using up my e-fag cells quite nicely. Still got a few left. Lol.
 Might have to peel carbon rods off my giant wasp's wings if I cant find suitable bits for the delta.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2020, 06:19:10 pm »

Delta mk 2 is built, just needs board fitted and rod ends fitted. Underside has unfortunate lettering, lol. It was the bottom wing skin. Also shows my new battery holder, ice cream tub plastic with tabs through wing and fibreglass tape over the top.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2020, 01:11:47 pm »

I have a question, what do you use for the aileron hinges ?
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2020, 05:14:00 pm »

Hi, the hinges are small bits of fibreglass packing tape. I used to use full strips but its just extra weight. It sticks really well.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2020, 07:11:15 pm »

I have a couple of models where I copied my friend's method, he cut a v channel into the depron, only leaving the skin as the hinge, it works fine so far but I have added small fibreglass tape hinges to mine, just in case.....
 I usually put the hinges on undersurface and v cut on top, as the tape is pretty noticeable. Control horns are ice cream tub plastic, hole poked from both sides (with a pin from poundland superglue) to fit paperclip z bends and tidied up with homemade  sanding block. Small scalpel slit through the tape and aileron, poke it through, line it up, hot glue the underside of aileron to horn, snip off spare bit on top side leaving 2mm or less and a hotglue blob over this, stronger than the depron, I destroyed an aileron trying to reposition the horn.
 After spending a good portion of my modelling life (and a fair amount of money) buying engines, radio gear, balsa, some kits, solarfilm, solartex and loads of hardware like hinges, control horns, snakes, tanks, fuel tubing and bags of big elastic bands, ( thats only the planes not counting helicopter, boat and car stuff!) I am finding this branch of my modelling very satisfying from a building point of view and also cheap, satisfyingly cheap😁
 I have 3 control boards at the moment, total cost under £40, these are in my elmira, the tiny trainer and one in my Micro Jet (removed from jupiter junior, the tiny trainer/cub flies nicely enough to keep its radio gear)
 I am waiting on more boards coming, I still havent tried the midknight, the ridge runt is to get a board and another go at flying, I already killed a motor in it. My new Tiny Delta is in line for a board too. Thats earned a board for the good flying I had with mark one thats now lost in a barley field. I await harvesting so I have more chance of finding depron shreds, possibly leading to finding my carbon leading edges and pushrods, maybe fragments of the board? Maybe battery but I am not to bothered about it, I have plenty. The board is the 'expensive' bit at £13. Carbon, a couple of quid. And one of my best motors😩
 Still, its not a huge loss, just frustrating I couldnt find it, part of me holds out hope of finding it, drying it out, fresh battery and it will work. The realist part of me knows its getting shredded soon.........

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2020, 12:36:55 pm »

I decided to have another look at my screenshot and see how long I still have to wait for my boards coming, there's still a while to go .......

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2020, 07:45:11 pm »

Well, after many weeks of waiting, my plane has been harvested! I got a call the other day from my friend to say the field had been harvested. I managed to get down for a look last night and found the remains of the plane, a motor plug with the motor end cap and brushes still on it and a few smaller bits of depron. No sign of the board, carbon pushrods or the battery. I hunted about the area until it got too dark but no luck. Ah well, I got a motor plug and a single bit of carbon leading edge, the other side had been snipped.
 As it turned out, it did actually go in much closer than I had estimated, right in the middle, I had thought it was nearer the opposite side. I was doing well to actually see it at that distance, looking back to where I had been standing was still a long long way. I have a new delta made up, just to fit a board, battery and a motor, could have done with finding the lost board, will have another look next time I am down. The straw is lying in strips, it could be under there somewhere or mashed into the mud. I have ordered new boards (due middle to end of October) 🙁
 Hopefully these ones wont get sent back to China by customs.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.