Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Back with a new build  (Read 947 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Back with a new build
« on: June 07, 2020, 09:45:49 am »

I know I've been sadly missed for the last 18 months (in my dreams  {-) ) But I'm back with a new build that I will occasionally add to. It's not been without its problems the last few months which unless you are a troglodyte from middle earth, you will all be aware of. Lack of materials and a lockdown that has severely been enforced here in Spain, totally unlike the beach and street party's over in the UK!
So here's a shot of the last build the Stril Barents, almost finished, it requires one more set of handrails and a supersrtucture repaint and it will sail. I have to admit much of the electronic ideas I had did not come to fruition.
Now on to the new build, again I am going to sail, with a 1:24 scale sailing trawler, yes I have built one before, but I like the challenge, it was this or a Bristol Pilot cutter. I have followed the plans I had on file,this time instead of using ply bulkheads, due to its size I have made oak steam bent to the frame shapes. I missed out every second frame from the plan as I thought this was overkill for the model.  I have also began to frame in the deck beams to the same pattern as the original as well. The ply sub floor at the stern is just to hold the stern stringers and deadwood together until the planking goes on then it can be removed.
Right that's it for now, any further updates will go in the sailing section, but I thought I'd give you all a flavour of whats been going on in 'mi casa' Oh yeah for those who remember, I stopped modelling to concentrate on getting my MG road ready again, well its done, but until our lockdown allows, its stuck in the garden waiting to be Spanish registered.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Back with a new build
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 11:25:02 am »

new build looks good Brian, I love traditionally built hulls, especially with "ribs" instead of bulkheads if you have left out every other rib I can sure see what you mean about overkill, look forward to more updates.

Joe

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 11:32:33 am »

Hi Brian its great to see you back on the forum at last!  Your new build is looking lovely there's some nice carpentry going on there.  Welcome back  :-))

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 12:21:11 pm »

Steam bent oak frames!  I love it!!   :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.