Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Detail Work, Rigging, Fittings, Figures Etc.

'Handrails' for Perkasa

(1/3) > >>

DaveM:
I don't suppose it's a big secret that I'm updating the Perkasa kit for SLEC @ 1/40 scale. I've obtained some 2-ball brass stanchions of more-or-less the correct pattern and size but I'm a bit stumped when it comes to the thin bits in between..... Did the real thing have 'solid' handrails between the deck stanchions or were they more of a cable or rope? I'm contemplating using nylon-covered steel fishing trace but it's a minefield out there trying to sort out the right stuff!
The stanchions have 0.8mm dia holes. Can anyone please suggest a definite brand/type/source for trace wire and a reliable way of fixing it at each end?
Dave M

Taranis:
I am using 1mm and 0.8mm ss piano wire on my Smit Rotterdam, just an idea. 0.6mm also available

Colin Bishop:
Almost certainly flexible wire going by the photos. Is this stuff any use?

https://www.prime-miniatures.co.uk/content/05mm-stainless-steel-cable-1m

Colin

RST:
Were they ball stanchions? My memory is straight poles with "hoops" on the inside face. Fairly sure it's tensioned wires.  I personally would use thin brass rod these day rather than wires.  When soldered up its much less prone to damage, don't need to tension and can't really tell the difference when painted.

There used to be a fantastic website on Perkasas, had the precedent build book on it as well. I've not been able to find it for quite a few months now. Not sure if it's still out there or Google is playing tricks.  I've been trying to find it again for ages. Weblink I had has vanished.

A 1:40 scale version would be a good size.  Bit smaller so lively enough with a single 500 or 600 sized brushed motor?

Rich

RST:
Ps, I couldn't tell you brands for wires. I've used trace wires before but just went to the tackle shop and bought the very light ones. You need the little crimp tubes to go with it. Secure at either end to a small hoop on the deck. The very tiny swivels make convincing turnbuckle tensioners.  Always seems to go slack at some point though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version