Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Name Painting  (Read 1293 times)

bwatman

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Name Painting
« on: June 10, 2020, 11:51:28 am »

I am the stage of putting a name onto my model.
Grp hull, painted white gloss, 1/10th scale
Model of a Steam River Boat circa 1905.
Bow (both sides) and stern.
If if I want it to look authentic and professional what would be the best way to go about it,
- decals
- hand paint
- individual pvc letters
- ano method?
All suggestions and where to get it from would be appreciated.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Name Painting
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 01:13:12 pm »

Go and get them printed at your local print shop on Vinyl rub down material. I have tried a few different ways. Had a few battles with letraset and water slide etc. Nemesis

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 01:29:06 pm »

My personal preference would be vinyl lettering.  You can make your own decals but I've never tried that (there are, needless to say, plenty of little videos on line showing how), and I'm no artist so hand painting is out for me.  There are plenty of vinyl cutting outfits on line, and many will do small lettering suitable for models.  You also get to choose a font of your liking.  It's a while since I ordered some and I can't remember who I used, but this outfit looks like they will do something suitable.  It is probably worth your while doing a more extensive search than I have done to make sure you get the font and colour you want.

Greg

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 05:25:27 pm »

I said somewhere recently that I seem to learn something new every day with this hobby, even after  :-X years. I had no idea you could now buy DIY rub-on transfer paper! Many thanks for mentioning that, Nemesis. I followed up your suggestion and I've now got a sheet on order.
DaveM

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 06:06:10 pm »

Very interesting but a quick look suggests dry rub on transfer paper is quite fiddly to use, especially, if like a lot of us, you want to produce boat names. Any experiences of using it would be very much welcomed.

Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 07:24:10 pm »

Confederacy scale 1/50 .   I made the letters from semi-gloss photo paper. printed the letters on the pc choosing a font face and size that suited and printed them out and cut the letters out using a 2mm modelling chisel . Not as difficult as it sounds , just needs a bit of time a stiff drink to steady the hand and my 3X reading glasses. then just stuck em on.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 07:58:43 pm »

this one was done the same.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

RST

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 09:02:09 pm »

I've seen dry rub sheets you can cut your own but not heard of any more DIY type "printed ones". I think lettering would be hard if you had your own cutter. I think somewhere a message for confused with S.A.V. and dry rub but I'd be delighted to be to see another product on the market!

Another options is name boards using Slater's plastic letters / numerals. They're very authentic if it suits (though direct on a hull they're better stuck down before painting, then sanded back and detail picked out with a small brush / cocktail stick, or in a black hull you just carefully sand the paint off leaving the white  below).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 22 queries.