Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Just getting back into models boats ...  (Read 3722 times)

Adrian

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Just getting back into models boats ...
« on: June 13, 2020, 08:29:45 am »

Thank you for accepting  me to mayhem  and my warm welcome from peter.
Just getting back into models after renovating  my late fathers smit Rotterdam enjoyed  it so much I've taken the plunge and ordered a whaleback  from Dean's marine I'm already staggered  by the knowledge  on here and look forward to bugging you all with newbie questions thanks again look forward to improving  my skill set and hopefully  post some picture of my new build once she arrives

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 11:13:03 am »

Welcome to the forum Adrian!

Yes, there is a monumental amount of experience and wisdom here. Everything related to model boating is covered with not a little humour and so much generosity.

If you give nothing back but some photos and a description of your build, then you are still equal, and remember, in time you may well be one of the members helping another member with advise or a reference.
Pond weed is your enemy

Adrian

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 04:23:25 pm »

Thank you
I already learned that theres so much more I need to learn lol
I've recently  done some refurbishing  on my late fathers model the smitt Rotterdam  that he left me it's been just on display for last ten plus years and is around 20 years old  I loved getting back into running order and decided to have a go myself  lots to learn and I think that will be as much fun as the build

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 09:05:30 am »

Welcome Adrian, Referbing an old model is as good a way as any to get into model building, with a Deans kit you have the basis of an excellent model boat, they do need a bit of builder input but that's a good thing because you learn so much building them I know I did,
don't be afraid to do a build log with photos it's what makes Mayhem so interesting and don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have even if you think it might be a silly question we don't judge we've all be there.

Joe.

Adrian

• Shipmate
Re: Just getting back into models boats ...
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 05:34:59 pm »

Thanks Joe enjoying  reading the info on here and plan to keep a photo journal of build looking forward to getting lots of info and advice

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 07:38:17 pm »

Hello Adrian,
 Welcome to MayHem as joe has already as Joe has already said ask as many questions as you like every one on here was new on hereat sometime just remember we are here to help and the only silly question is the one you don't ask.
                             Regards Howard.

Adrian

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 09:16:18 am »

Thank you one question is buying a dremel a good investment  or is there one essential  youd recommend

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 09:36:48 am »

Adrian, A Dremel is one of the best investments you'll ever make I have two Dremel 3000s I use one for grinding etc. and one for drilling in and out of the Dremel drill stand ,, Dremel yes a must in my opinion. :-))

Joe

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 10:03:46 am »

Hi Adrian, and welcome always good to see new members join the model boat fraternity.

Dremel is a bit like saying Biro or Hoover.  We know what you mean but there are other makes etc.  It is not an essential tool, I have one I have only used a couple of times over the years, but then it was very useful.  There are sudden offers of these sorts of sets with many attachments.

There is just one major item I would not want to be without and that is a Proxxon circular saw it has an A4 size footprint.  I use my one multiple times a day.  I suppose second would be my table jig saw.  I can reccommend Rexxon I also have a Hegner which was a gift but is very expensive.

Have you inherited some modelling tools already?  Nice quality wire cutters are an essential tool with good pliers and I use round nose pliers a lot for making hooks for my yachts.
Do not buy cheap tools they fail, I have items that are over 50 years old and made of good steel and will see me out.  I find a small hand held electric drill which has a chuck that goes down to almost nothing is very useful.
Knife blades to fit a variety of handles.  I use an oil stone to sharpen the blades as they wear.  You may also want to use a very fine tooth saw that also fits the knife blade handles.

Quite often best to buy when you need the tool!
It is best to consider what you do I cut up a lot of wood as I mainly scratch build from plans, that is not being clever I am just a bit mean with spending money!  If you build kits especially modern ones with laser cut parts then you will not need the electric tools above.
Horses for courses!  I would make sure you have somewhere to work which is flat and well lit and drawers for tools.

If it has to be in the house being tidy will earn you lots of Brownie points, on this point I am a complete failure!
Good luck
Roy
Adrian, A Dremel is one of the best investments you'll ever make I have two Dremel 3000s I use one for grinding etc. and one for drilling in and out of the Dremel drill stand ,, Dremel yes a must in my opinion. :-))

Joe

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 10:12:33 am »

Hi radiojoe, not meaning to contradict you, I am 98% wood oriented and find accurate cutting an essential.
The Dremel tool I have is a basic one but with lots of things to put in the chuck.  I found it an essential when I was refurbishing an old part built boat and I do not think I could have got into the small spaces without it.  Horses for courses again!
best regards
Roy

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 12:54:50 pm »

Hi Adrian, a dremmil is a must, and the 3 jaw chuck another must, it saves changing collets when using
Different sized accessories

John

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2020, 01:18:14 pm »

Yeah have to agree with John the replacement chucks are excellent I have them on both my Dremel's they make a good tool even better, Yes there are other makes of the same type of tool but personally I would get a Dremel any day,, I do not have any shares in Dremel by the way  %% {-) {-)

Joe

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2020, 01:30:14 pm »

HI All
I am using a Linda( a Dremel look a like) from Banggood and have not had a problem with it.
All the bits from a Dremel fit and Banggood have a great range of pieces to suit both.

Canabus

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2020, 01:42:26 pm »

Hi I can see you guys cannot be separated from your dremels but what do you do with them that makes them so essential?

I ask only in the spirit of seeking guidance and information.  Also do you favour mains driven or battery powered.
regards
Roy

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2020, 01:52:02 pm »

I find that every time I need to use my battery-powered one the damn thing neeeds charging up first. That said, a mains one can be awkward to handle because of the lead. You pays your money.....
I use it mainly with the rotary sanding drums and the wire brushes.
Dave M

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2020, 02:04:40 pm »

Aldi have an alternative 'Dremel' on sale this week... surprisingly well made for an Aldi product... and six times cheaper... and change! !

https://www.aldi.co.uk/ferrex-12v-rotary-tool-set/p/702157380653401

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Adrian

• Shipmate
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 02:06:58 pm »

Thanks guys I have  quite  a few bits ive inherited  from my dad table top scroll saw tabletop pillar drill with various  chucks down to .3 of a mm no idea what my dad did that needed  that size 😂the dremel  would be a birthday gift as my birthday In july comes with stand and snake attachment  I also like fishing  and have a large assortment  of forceps  tiny brass plane from dad and selection of small and needle files also a rotating  cake stand than my dad used a lot saved repositioning  just spin it round he had a cradle mounted on it but lots of useful tips and sure family will be glad to have easier time buying xmas and birthday gift with the list of things from you guys

Adrian

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2020, 02:08:04 pm »

I shall tell in laws to have a look at aldi looks god kit

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2020, 02:20:55 pm »

Correction on the model of my Dremels  they are 8200s They rarely need charging even with a lot of use, I use them for cutting metal with the cutting discs, drilling of course for drills between 3mm down to 0.3mm , drum sanders, milling tools, polishing tools,  but as they say each to their own, you pays your money and takes your choice.  O0

Joe

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2020, 03:08:44 pm »

I have a Dremel and bought some Dremel replacement collets, but you takes your chance, even if they are Dremel packaged, mine are slightly over toleranced, and therefore difficult to have fit, just luck of the draw, will look at Aldi for the other make so I can use the other collets (and for it to be power lead free).
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2020, 05:07:35 pm »

Get one of these under a fiver and never have to change collets :-))

Joe

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2020, 05:55:15 pm »

The Ferrex (Aldi) one only seems to have a 3.2mm fitting. You'll need more than this if you're ever going to use it to drill anything finer OR get a jaw-chuck as per radiojoe!

RST

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2020, 06:01:39 pm »

When you look at the description it doesn't mention drilling. Have to compare apples with apples. 2 things I'd say is to stick with Dremel tool bits, particularly for metal cutting (cheap discs just shatter in your face) and best thing for my Dremel was to buy a chuck, though I paid a bit more as I always prefer to buy from shops when I can than mail order.  You don't have to use a minidrill, though they are darned handy that odd occasion you need one and they are a good investment sitting ready when needed.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2020, 07:26:41 pm »

I am going to be a devil's advocate and say that I find the Dremel like drills a curate's egg. I have one that I was bought as a present and both the buyer and I thought it would be a great all round tool. I gave it away in the end as my old Minicraft drill was (and still is) doing all that I need of it (I got that for Christmas 1990  %% ) and controllable transformer in 1997 from my then employer.

I find that while great for abrading jobs such as grinding and polishing, it is too fast even at it's lowest setting for drilling without a stand or for other low speed hand held jobs.

If you ever find the need for a slower minidrill type device, then I can recommend talking to MFA Como drills.

A good cutting tool is the Swann Morton scalpel. 10a blades are popular for the point, but 11s are good as the point is supported by a shoulder.

Pond weed is your enemy

RST

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2020, 07:47:09 pm »

I find that while great for abrading jobs such as grinding and polishing, it is too fast even at it's lowest setting for drilling without a stand or for other low speed hand held jobs.

Must admit I bought a cheap Chinese micro drill and some other parts which make it look like a mill. I've used it more for drilling so far in the month I've had it than my Dremel over 6 months.

What do you suggest as a beginner's toolkit? I'd still say a modelmakers book or two from the well known model boats authors is a must, but that's not cool to suggest these days.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.