Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amera Huntsman mouldings kit  (Read 1912 times)

RST

Amera Huntsman mouldings kit
« on: June 15, 2020, 10:44:24 pm »

Hi,

I'm all for easy things these days, I present what Amera offer for the Huntsman 31 for under 40 quid (be under no impression this is a scale kit BUT it can produce something quite passable so far, the other thing is the boats varied so much and were modified by owners over the years it's not carte blanche but a subject very open to customising.

I am doing mine with speed 400 motor, battery TBC but will be Ni-Mh 7.2v as my PT boat kit conversion a bit lighter couldn't go any faster.

2 pics attached.  One unboxing and second as-is so far with just plain wood effect so far though doesn't show my dive steps aor exhausts at the transom.  (second paint will show the characteristic wood bits after careful masking).  Not doing a full build blog but gives an idea....

RST

Re: Amera Huntsman mouldings kit
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 10:54:41 pm »

Sorry, I should have said, the side air scoops were very roughly formed in tinkercad and 3d printed then sanded and stuck on and turned out rather much better than I hoped so far.  Have 3D printed a few other parts Not shown in situ yet as the Amera kit falls about 1:16 to 1:17 in scale as a bit uncomfortable in off the shelf parts to complete so far but I aim for a good effect at 3-4 metres viewing!

RST

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 10:59:05 pm »

The main cockpit windscreen is from some rather exotic clear plastic. I can get it to melt with solvent but not bond with anything else so Amera kindly sent me some scraps to try more on before I wreck it!

RST

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 11:04:54 pm »

....lastly, I tried in good faith to use some humbrol paints for this but they were a disaster again so far. Tan colour is humbrol "new stock" and has worked wekk!  I tried some other parts with "UK" humbrol time and  it just was a waste of time again. So this is predominantly again painted with revell tinlets which .....just keeping doing what any model paint shoud do, apart from humbrol -3 days later humbrol is only tacky but this should have now been fixed by over-painting with revell.

RST

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 10:07:23 pm »

Just to update this as motivation has been low until this morning....

I had a problem painting the deckhouse top side in a blue-ish grey -I had 2 tins of Revell that just wouldn't finish right I now think are intended as a primer layer.  Nevermind -I managed to pick up Revell pots of my prefered light blue since which is close-enough to the colour on "Double Century" in real life.  I also fitted the ladder on the transom.

My preferred sailing pond turned into a co-vid testing centre some months ago so this or anything else hasn't it the water yet.

Latest pic attached here.  I think it's turned out not too bad so far for the cost of it.  Little bit of detail to come but not too much.

Rich

RST

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 11:27:05 pm »

Another update as spent a few mins on this the past week after a long period procrastinating.

I am not happy with my painting but too late to re-mask and one thing for sure, I'm glad I use Revell rather than Humbrol now!  I had problems bonding the plastic parts of this kit but couldn't put it down to a dodgy bottle of solvent or not.  Some parts seem to crack when I'm handling but I would always beef up those joints and have yet to run beads of strengthening into most of the major parts yet.

So far it seems to come together OK, I have yet to add the cabin windows of course...(I am annoyed I never bit the bullet and never did the curved "heart" shaped foredeck detail now and I just cut it square -but it seemed a good idea at the time to keep it simple, the light brown colour seems one of the last humbrol colours in my arsenal that actually works still, but just a few drops left now and will never buy again!)

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 10:08:58 am »

I appreciate that this thread is over a year old now, but wondered if you had got any further with the Huntsman or done any sea trials?

It appears quite a nice model, especially for the money.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

RST

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 08:36:37 pm »

I'm sorry to say Will, and thanks for the interest again, it stalled since.  Still sitting there the same with me suffering mojo to paint and fit the windows.

Partly due to my scatterbrain and having too many projects on the go.  Partly also I bought a lot of Maquette polystyrene extrustions, some of which  I used on this and it's been a bit of a nightmare getting it to weld to anything else when it's supposed to be the same material.  Seems to be holding on this OK but it's tempting fate as it's not joined well but running thin CA on polystyrene is no proper fix.  It's given trouble every time I use this material since.  Most of it has gone to recycling now but the odd bit turns up by accident and won't weld to anything properly. I don't know why it's just the Maquette material that always gives jip!

...that and I'm a bit embarrassed at the super quality of all the other huntsman builds!

Actually sailing anything has been put a bit to the side.  The new pond next to me is pretty weeded up now.  The good pond close to me has a co-vid test centre at it and I won't go back until that has gone.  So last 18monts has predominantly been building / tinkering to be honest apart from just one or two times.

Hoping the flipping test centre goes, it's a really good pond to sail in for small models!

Rich

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 10:36:41 pm »

Hi Rich, 

Thanks for your reply and the update.
I can relate to having too many projects on the go.
With the numerous boats that I have bought over the last 12-18 months, plus a couple that I already had. All are in need of work of some sort. Some just running and rc gear, others repair and or rebuild (at least 3 are Huntsman).
We're also part way through converting a van to a camper, so that's taking up a majority of my time lately.

Faireys are of huge interest to me and for some reason I hadn't seen this thread before, or heard of this particular make of Huntsman kit, hense my curiosity.

Fingers crossed that the test centre goes soon enough, so you can get back on the water.

Good luck.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.