Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Wicksteed Park Ltd - 'gone into administration'  (Read 11696 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Wicksteed Park Ltd - 'gone into administration'
« on: June 15, 2020, 11:20:47 pm »

From the Wicksteed Parl model boat club...

Today, 'Wicksteed Park Ltd' has announced that it has 'gone into administration'.

The announcement extracted from the parks's website is below.

I will inform you as information becomes available.

Extraction from the Park's own website :-
APPEAL LAUNCHED TO SAVE WICKSTEED PARK AS COMPANY CALLS IN ADMINISTRATORS AND IS LEFT “DEVASTATED” BY JOB LOSSES

The Wicksteed Charitable Trust, which owns Wicksteed Park, has launched a fundraising appeal in a bid to save the park in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Wicksteed Park is the oldest theme park on the UK mainland and one of the oldest in the world. It is owned by Wicksteed Charitable Trust but has been run by a wholly-owned subsidiary company, Wicksteed Park Ltd.

Wicksteed Park Ltd has been unable to avoid going into administration, with the loss of 48 permanent staff and 67 part-time and other jobs, due to the huge financial strain caused by the coronavirus outbreak.

Backed by the Wicksteed Charitable Trust a small group of employees has formed a new company much reduced in size, to try and safeguard the future of the park.

The decision to call in administrators comes after the government announced the closure of the hospitality and leisure industry, hitting seasonal businesses particularly hard.

Oliver Wicksteed, chairman of the Wicksteed Charitable Trust, revealed how the park had fallen victim to an unprecedented and totally unforeseen set of circumstances. The coronavirus outbreak left the Trust with no income for months, apart from a small amount of car parking revenue, prompting it to ask people to help ensure that the park survives for visitors to enjoy during next year’s centenary year and beyond.

He said: “We are all devastated by what has happened and the effect this will have on our staff, their families and our visitors.

“We fully appreciate the effect this decision will have on staff members who have already been through months of uncertainty and difficulty due to Covid-19 and we are working hard to ensure they have access to the support and advice they need at this time.

“We are working hard to enable the park to continue but the reality is that without urgent significant support Wicksteed Park will not survive as we know it.”

The Charity has said it will endeavour to continue funding the opening of the park and pavilion so that people can still enjoy this important local amenity whilst exercising and also to appreciate the open space which is crucial to physical and mental wellbeing.

The Charity has also pledged to honour any bookings for forthcoming events as well as annual passes and will endeavour to retain functions and shows in the park Pavilion as soon as government guidelines allow and it is practical.

Oliver Wicksteed said: “The new company, funded by the Trust, is a much streamlined business aimed at getting the park through to next spring when it can hopefully start to re-open fully but we need people’s help, support and understanding in order to try and make that happen.

“The costs of the old business were crippling and could not be sustained with the huge loss of revenue already suffered this year. Even if park rides opened in July, the costs of social distancing measures and the reduced capacity at which the park would have had to operate, would have meant it was unlikely to be financially viable.”

The Charity has invested millions in recent years to secure a sustainable future for the park. Mr Wicksteed said that this level of investment had affected profitability over the last two years and that, coupled with the prospect of no profitable trading for a whole financial year, had meant the Government’s Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme (CBILS) was not an option.

He said that the company would not have been able to afford the repayments on a huge bank loan whilst maintaining charitable output such as free access to playgrounds and parkland.

“There has been no meaningful Government support for charities such as ours (apart from the furlough scheme).”

He acknowledged that even with the Government’s furlough scheme the company had still needed a substantial amount a month simply to continue operating the country park alone, even without the park’s rides and attractions. Mr Wicksteed added: “We have been overwhelmed by messages of support received from people across the country during the current crisis and would like to thank people for their continued backing and loyalty.

“The green space access that we have provided during this crisis has been crucial for people’s mental health and wellbeing.

“But ultimately, Wicksteed Park is a private park which costs a great deal of money to maintain if we are to continue to open for people to use free of charge, as we have for the last 99 years.

“The Trust receives no regular external financial support or public funding unlike other national or council owned parks, but still makes a contribution to the local economy of at least £11million each year.

“We now need people, not least the Government, to recognise all we have done for the many millions of people who need our park and our work supporting the community.

“The sacrifices that people are having to make during the current crisis are extraordinary and in some ways Wicksteed Park and its future are nowhere near the top of people’s priorities, as they become ill, lose loved-ones and struggle to make ends meet financially.

“But millions of people across the country and generations of families love Wicksteed Park and have scores of happy memories made here.

“It is a touchstone in their lives and a representation of the fun times they have had - and when the country comes out of the other side of this crisis, as it inevitably will, it will be one of the places that people will want to return to as a sign that normality has returned.

“The park has relied on income generated by Wicksteed Park Ltd as well as charitable donations, car parking charges and, on occasion, the sale of land to help balance the books.

“More than 400,000 of the 850,000 visits to the park each year generate no revenue at all because we offer free access to support the local community and improving physical and mental wellbeing.

“However, if we want it to stay for many millions of people in the future to enjoy then we need to find a way to protect and preserve it.”

The Wicksteed Charitable Trust has a JustGiving page
https://www.justgiving.com/wicksteedcharitabletrust
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Wicksteed Park Ltd - 'gone into administration'
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 08:03:58 am »

That is very sad. Hopefully they can sort something out.

I am afraid that there are going to be lots of casualties of this virus. The s..t hasn't hit the fan yet but when it does it could well go on for years. Let us hope that Br..it doesn't fan the flames.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 08:56:24 am »

Amazing central location for a few hundred new houses with great access to A14!

Really hope it does not come to that but recent local developments make me wonder...

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 09:46:12 am »

I’m going to tell you now- the park itself has not gone into administration- the company Wicksteed Park Ltd has. They are the company who run the rides and facilities, the park is a grade II listed area by English Heritage and will not be built on. The park remains free to walk around as it has for the last 99 years but the company running it needs the help to continue the actual day to day running and financing. So at the moment the park is run by a skeleton crew and the model boat club will continue to operate at the lake for as long as we are welcome.

A bit of history for you all- Charles Wicksteed originally wanted to build cheap housing for war heroes returning from WW1 but Kettering Council refused to support it. So he decided to change his plans and it became the park we have today. Please support the park in any way you can as they do need help and a just give page has been set up for this purpose.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 10:53:36 am »

Thanks for that clarification Nick.   :-))

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 12:29:53 pm »

Lets hope Nick is correct

It's all about £££ - Grade II listing will mean nothing if not financially sustainable.

It's hard to see the way forward regards social distancing and childrens play equipment/ rides etc right now. You take a chunk of the revenue stream out of the equation in the long term and it runs at a loss. That will focus peoples minds quite quickly as to how to plug the loss and if needs be eliminate the liabiltiy regardless of charitable status and history.

I think the only thing that is certain is that the future is uncertain and that the new normal is here to stay for a while yet...

C-3PO

I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 07:07:02 pm »

if this is not a prime example why we need to end this lock down now and reduce socail distance to more like the rest of europe at 1.5m to 1m .
C-3po Grade 2 means a lot . It would be impossible for them to build house there regardless of ££££.

john

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 07:51:30 pm »

Tell that to the over 53,000 that have died John model boating is just that a hobby some people lost and lot more then a just hours playing with their model boat on a lake I would have thought most on here or in an age group that's high risk some might never be as lucky as you and sail the model boat again some of us have lost a lot more then a few hours of playing on a boating lake please try and remember that before you make statements like you just have.
                 Regards Howard.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 08:25:44 pm »

Tell that to the over 53,000 that have died John model boating is just that a hobby some people lost and lot more then a just hours playing with there model boat on a lake I would of thought most on here or in a age group that's high risk some might never be as lucky as you and sail the model boat again some of us have lost a lot more then a few hours of playing on a boating lake please try and remember that before you make statements like you just have.
                 Regards Howard.
yes people have sadly passed away. 53k about 42k. If people dont want to go out they dont have to , no one is forcing them . Its not just wicksteed loads and loads of companys are going under every day and the number increasse. Ever day we keep this lock down on more companys fold as they cant sustain this period of no income. As of this we will see more job lose ,which inturn creats more problems. Enoung is enough. You should have a look at europe. Lower death rate and social disstance 1m to 1.5m and they are re opening or like Sweden never really closed.
I say reopen to day.
john

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 08:35:35 pm »

No John look at the internet or the news 53,000 is the real figure yes I don't want to go out  because of people like you yes some of the EU is coming out of lock down as they locked down four to five weeks before us.
                Regards Howard. 

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 09:16:38 pm »

The issue is that while most of us may be equally likely or unlikely to fall foul of the bug, those of us of a more advanced age are significantly less likely to survive it.

If you haven't got too many years of active life to look forward to in the normal run of things you do tend to placer a disproporionately high value on them!

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2020, 09:43:00 pm »

I think that most of us would agree that the cost of Covid 19 has been horrendous and has not finished being added to yet.
Unfortunately as we are all aware the cost comes in at least 2 parts.

Firstly the horrible illness, the loss of friends and family and the fear of catching it. As Colin says this has hit many people, families, and particularly the old, very hard.

Secondly we are all aware of the economic cost much of which will become apparent over the next couple of years. To keep this under control I agree that we need to get the economy moving again. I do not however agree with the apparently uncaring words of cos918.

Unfortunately I do not see any way out of this other than to open things in a controlled way, and keep a close watch on the infection rate, until a vaccine is found. I suspect that Howard, me and many others will need to look after our own welfare in the meantime. It would be nice, however, to think that others did what they can to minimise risk and were sympathetic to our problems. The behaviour that has been highlighted in newspapers recently suggests that many are not minimising risk. Having said that I do appreciate that newspapers are looking for the headline click bait story.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 09:52:13 pm »

Good post Tug Fanatic and so very true.

Colin

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2020, 01:33:31 am »

The behaviour that has been highlighted in newspapers recently suggests that many are not minimising risk. Having said that I do appreciate that newspapers are looking for the headline click bait story.

It looks like a member of the SAGE team also shares your view about newspaper reporting. He also points out it probably incorrect, divisive and will hurt efforts to minimize the impacts of Covid19. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/16/dont-blame-public-for-covid-19-spread-says-uk-scientist
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2020, 05:45:17 am »

Wicksteed is only one of many similar institutions to suffer badly from the coronavirus, but, in my view, opening everything up is not the answer. It has been suggested that the UK should be like Sweden, which took very little precaution against the virus, look where that got them. Sweden, population just over 10.2 million, confirmed cases, over 53300, deaths, nearly 5000. Compare that with here in Australia - population 25 million, confirmed cases, 7345, deaths 102.

In Australia, the federal and all state governments formed a National Cabinet to deal with the situation, as a result of which measures were progressively introduced as more about Covid-19 became known. Very quickly, travel to and from overseas was severely restricted, and all incoming travellers were put into mandatory quarantine for a 14 day period. They were housed, at government expense, in city hotels. Social distancing of 1.5 metres was introduced, and non-essential workers were told to stay at home. All non essential travel outside the home was banned, and fines put in place for people breaking the rules. Huge assistance packages were announced by the government, and many other measures to combat the spread of the virus and mitigate the its financial effects were introduced. Nearly 2 million tests have been performed, and continue to be performed, with a positive count of 0.4%. The result of all this means that we are in a vastly better position now than many other countries, and restrictions are gradually being eased, although social distancing still applies.

New cases are still being detected, but nearly all are repatriated Aussie citizens returning home. Unless, and until, a vaccine against Covid-19 is developed, it is going to remain with us, and we will continue to need to take all necessary precautions.

The cost to our economy of the above measures will be huge, but it will be worth it.

Peter.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2020, 07:28:05 am »

I fully agree  :-)) :-)) :-))
We would have done even better without the cruise ship. <:(

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2020, 10:08:58 am »

Viewed from Oz the situation over here must seem absolutely appalling.

Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2020, 12:17:45 pm »

Interesting video on the BBC website about Wicksteed Park and efforts to get it up and running again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-northamptonshire-53065078/wicksteed-park-theme-park-administration-brings-tears-to-my-eyes

Colin

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2020, 01:15:32 pm »

I see China gone back into lock down I rest my case I'll not say any more.
            Regards Howard.

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2020, 02:41:48 pm »

NICK (raflaunches) ....... I've sent you a PM.
Best regardsSteve Dean.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2020, 02:45:48 pm »

I see China gone back into lock down I rest my case I'll not say any more.
            Regards Howard.

I know that this seems harsh but it is unfortunately pretty much what needs to be done although with perhaps greater care. Selectively relax the quarantine but be prepared to stamp out any resurgence immediately and hard and whilst doing that reassess the relaxation that allowed it to happen. Whether we can do the same is more open to debate.

It really isn't an option for us all to do nothing but hide for the next x months until a vaccine is (?) developed as we will be broken as a country with no jobs etc.

In the meantime I would not relax the restrictions on anywhere where close contact is almost inevitable but non essential which includes entertainment venues eg pubs, clubs, sports stadiums, concert halls, theatres, cinemas etc.

We all need to be careful and keep safe.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2020, 06:52:17 pm »

From what I understand, distance is only part of the equation and the whole transmission package includes a time element and also whether open air or in a building. Surely it's not outside the wit of the powers that be to get away from the "one size fits all" 2m rule or perhaps they think that we can't be trusted to think.....just a bit!

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2020, 07:06:12 pm »

You are doing better than me if you really understand what the 2 metre rule means. To me putting spots on the ground 2 metres from the next spot does not mean we are 2 metres apart because neither of us is a spot but rather I already occupy say 30cm from that spot as do you. If you put spots on the floor one metre apart that 30cm + 30cm means we are only actually around 40cm apart. I am sure that we could lean toward each other that far. It has been observed that if it is noisy we would almost certainly do the leaning just to hear each other.

Rules have to be very simple if they are to be observed even if that means they are not optimal. Speed limits are the classic example where they take no account of traffic levels, weather etc etc etc. I also have read that distance is only one of many factors but rules that include consideration of wind direction and strength, location etc are surely doomed to fail and be unenforceable.

2 metres seems to me a good basis point unless there is a very specific reason in a particular location for it to be less. Politics will determine any change to this rule and not science.

RST

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2020, 07:33:07 pm »

It might be worth mentioning, and I hate it that it is this way, but not everyone in the UK has same rules at the moment. You guys 'south of the border seem to be way ahead of us up here in Scotland.. I feel very much like a mushroom still at the moment and I'm not in any vulnerable category.  I'm 3 months to the day since seeing a family member.  I had to explain to guys in my office in Paris that although the headlines might say "UK", it really only covers England at moment as the main news, so I still can't get back to my worksite which has always been open because they're classed as "critical" but I'm not.

I'm not surprised businesses are going bust. It's going to be a harsh reality check.  More to come unfortunately I think.

Any more comments from me would require moderation so I'll leave it as that.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.