Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Information if you have any please concerning a new acquisition. IOM.  (Read 1238 times)

old man

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

I have just bought a IOM in need of a bit of TLC.
I am told it was made in Australia to/by Lincoln McDowall and to a design designated as Rat.
Supposedly one of 6 made?
There is little information on the web at allradiosailboats.com.

It has a small surface ding/ minor crazing under the front of the hull likely caused by a speed run into a concrete apron? Area of this is less than 1/4" square.
The hull flexes a lot as though formed from a thin sheet of something? I am looking to repair this somehow.

Any new information or advice on repair gratefully received, thank you. K.
Not sinking just yet but control is problematic.

No smoke or grinding is a bonus!

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club

Hi k, the IOM were made for yacht racing so they were built very light. Is the hull cracked anywhere around
the sail fin box. A photo would help.
If you intend racing the boat the repair has to be light as you don’t want to add weight to the hull.

John

old man

• Full Mayhemer

Hi John, no hull damage other than minor ding, sorry don't do photos.
Boat will only be a fun job to improve my dexterity?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer

If only 6 were made, there won't be a lot of information.
As said earlier, they were built fairly light for racing, but the IOM class did have a minimum hull weight in the rules.   Any repair will need to be light, not for actual weight considerations, but so as not to upset any trim.  For a fibreglass hull, same form of repair as for any other fibreglass item.  Clean by sanding around the damaged area far enough to see that you are past the edge of the damage, repair with resin and glass tissue both sides.  Finish to taste.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

old man

• Full Mayhemer

Not sure of hull material yet Malcolm but thankfully damage is minor and no more than a ding, will get a glass on it tomorrow.
Hoping someone from down under can shed a bit more light on it? Named sometime as Blue Flame 11.

It has a Futaba 3GR-FS synth 27mhz Tx. Struggling to find an instruction manual for it so may switch to 2.4GHz and use FlySky  Tx sometime. Unfortunately the previous owner had a last minute glitch with it and due to time constraint to give me a sail altered and moved a few settings etc looking for the fault. Eventually found RX battery only giving 4.88 v (failed during charge) so replacement on way.
It sailed just as it should when tried a few weeks ago so fingers crossed for a booklet. A bit difficult to get verbal help by the water due to distancing measures.
k.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.