Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: We'll meet again  (Read 2278 times)

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
We'll meet again
« on: June 18, 2020, 10:40:40 am »

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: We'll meet again
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 11:03:12 am »

SAME HERE  <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:(
CHRIS

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 11:14:33 am »

Its Like part of your family has passed on I loved that wonderful lady.
                  Regards Howard.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 11:20:11 am »

What a great lady, I know she had a long life but still sad to lose one of our icons  <:(

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 12:28:04 pm »

My Mum, who died aged 104 a couple of years ago, once said that it wasn't Churchill who kept Britain's spirits up during WWII, it was Vera!  :-)
Regards
Kit

edinsteve

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 08:14:16 pm »

Another break with a past age. I do remember her tv show many years ago. There can’t be many keft who remember her wartime singing.
“Cutty Sark”; “Bounty”;”Northlight” puffer;”Lifeboat B101”;”Fifie”

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 10:42:45 pm »

Well  I never liked her voicewise and the few times my father came on leave  he would switch the wireless off if she came on.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 08:54:44 am »

Each to his own, I never could stand Gracie Fields, just a loud screech as far as I was concerned.  Very happy when she moved to Capri.  Always like Vera Lynn.

I was in the forces for 4 years and when abroad Sunday lunch time was always sacrosanct when we listened to Forces Favourites radio with Jean Metcalf and Cliff Mitchelmore.  Later I think we had Bill Crozier.

But what Vera said is correct you enjoy and look forward to a link to home etc.
Good things have to end and I am glad she lived long enough to receive all the good wishes and accolades and 103 is prettty good going too.
Roy

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 10:12:11 am »

Agreed Roy nothing agin the lady  at all  only  the voice. As for Gracie say no more. Personally  I  preferred Anne Shelton  Desmond Carrington used to play her extended version of Where have all the flowers gone each Armistice  week I doubt the Beeb would play it today. Very moving Can't seem to get it I  He had his own  collection of discs used to do his shows from home . Aye 2way Family Favourites used to be a Painin germany when the clocks changed

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 10:34:42 am »

Desmond Carrington used to do his latter programmes from his home in Scotland?  Always enjoyed them.  According to Wiki he entertained for 70 years and died 3 years ago.

I was in Germany (57 -60) never noticed the clocks problem.
regards
Roy

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 07:26:11 pm »

Hi I may be wrong  Roy but the  trouble used to be it one of the time used to  overlap  dinner meaning  one missed a good bit of the show.Also do not recall ever changing my watch time other than  to Zulu not important.
Re Gracie    there is a really cheerful  version of her ''Sally'' done by Gerry Monroe  a South Shields lad now long gone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C8W6MsDHbU

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 12:48:53 am »

I don't know how anyone could not like Dame Vera Lynn, she had such a beautiful, clear voice, and her effect on British morale during WW2 is well known. I wasn't quite 9 when the war ended but, even at that young age, I loved her singing. Songs such as, The White Cliffs of Dover, We'll Meet Again, and When the Lights Go On Again, all spoke of hope for a better world after the war during those dark days.

However, musical taste varies, but as the legendary Rugby League coach, Jack Gibson, once said, "Some people would boo Santa Claus" O0

Peter.

RST

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2020, 02:39:09 am »

God bless her.  I learned some of the songs while I was young at school and some of the lyrics has always stuck.  I know  as much as I can about what she represented.

...But I was very offended that national news prioritised her death rather than communicating the latest covid rules change life for me!  That is absolute Nonsense!!!!  Something our media in the UK is stuck with.  No wonder our European colleagues think we all drink warm beer still singing old war songs and prefer black and white movies.  Time to move on.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2020, 03:22:20 am »

God bless her.  I learned some of the songs while I was young at school and some of the lyrics has always stuck.  I know  as much as I can about what she represented.

...But I was very offended that national news prioritised her death rather than communicating the latest co-vid rules change life for me!  That is absolute Nonsense!!!!  Something our media in the UK is stuck with.
Don't you get enough of Covid?  It has been on the news for so long that I just shut it out.   I would much rather hear about something new.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2020, 09:23:11 am »

Hi I noticed it too, but not in a negative way.  You can overdo the PC attitude these days into a formula.  The main news item for me that day was about Dame Vera of whom there was just the one.
Anyone looking around the high street cannot fail to see the number of Funeral Directors there are and on a weekly basis in the UK aproximately 9600 people die.  These are 'expected' deaths. 

No doubt Dame Vera will be heard singing her songs at more than a few of these and probably more for years to come as well.

Best regards,  still shuffling off, but not got to the mortal coil, bit yet

Roy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2020, 09:58:00 am »

Well said Roy   :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.