Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suitable motors for Lesro Arrow & 34" Crash Tender  (Read 1547 times)

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
Suitable motors for Lesro Arrow & 34" Crash Tender
« on: June 16, 2020, 11:02:10 am »

Went a bit mad yesterday and ordered both the above kits from SLEC. They're both models I've wanted to build for years, but other things keep getting in the way.

I want both to have brushless outrunners, as I have been very happy using them in other boats (and a couple of planes, a few years ago).

The problem is knowing what size to go for. I have been running a Robbe Police boat (old kit, 36"length,  5" beam) with a pair of 2836 1100kv outrunners on a pair of 6 cell NiMH packs and it was much faster than scale speed at anything above half throttle (and who has the will power not to use the power if it's there?), and was quite unnerving in the angle of lean in a fast turn.  I have removed the motors and am planning to replace them with a smaller pair of 2830 (either 1000kv or 850 kv, I have both lying around).

I would like both the Arrow and the Crash Tender to have a decent performance, I am thinking of using one of the 2836 1100kv motors for the Arrow, does that sound like it will perform as it should on 7.2v? I have no idea what to put in the Crash Tender, I assume the kit is single screw, and i  do have a Graupner Compact 345Z motor I bought when I was in Howes a few months ago. It's rated as 7.2 - 11.1 volts, 1500kv, 20 - 35 amps. There is more information on the packaging, but it is all in German.

Any advice & suggestions would be most welcome, it takes a fair bit of time and trouble re-motoring these models once they're built!
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
Re: Suitable motors for Lesro Arrow & 34" Crash Tender
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 11:26:55 am »

Have you looked at the SLEC website for the recommended motors? For the Arrow it's a 3536/8 1000kv outrunner and a 3S LiPo which, for a marine-ply (i.e. heavy) model of this length, would be easily powerful enough.
The 1/16 scale Swordsman is much lighter, uses a 2836/11 750kv and is quite sedate on 3S.
There isn't a motor suggested for the Rescue Launch but it's about the same length as the 1/8 Huntress which uses a 3542/6 1000kv outrunner with a 3S LiPo pack.
Hope this helps.
Dave M

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 11:38:20 am »

Thank you for the rapid reply, Dave! It looks as if none of the motors I have will make these models perform as they should, so I'll be ordering more very soon!

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 05:25:02 pm »

The 2 SLEC kits I have bought recently, police launch & pilot boat, both tell you in the instructions the recommended motors etc.
[/size]They suggest brushless 1500kv for both of them.
[/size]
[/size]Look in the instructions under 'what else you will need' and you will be able to answer your own question.

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 05:55:57 pm »

Following Dave M's advice, I've ordered the motors he & SLEC suggest, though the Slec site suggests a 3536 1000kv for the Arrow along with a 3mm coupling - the 3536 I've ordered has a 5mm shaft, so there's a typo somewhere. Based on the speed my Robbe Police boat moves with two 2836 1100KV at 7.2v each, I wouldn't be too surprised if one of them on 3s LiPo power would be enough. I'll experiment. I'll probably use one of them in my Waverider when I eventually build it, I seem to remember they weren't too happy being pushed hard.

I'm going to make sure it is easier to change the motors in these models, I spent ages getting the motors right in the Police boat, and have now removed them because they are ridiculously overpowering the boat, but it's going to be a fiddly job installing smaller ones. I'll do it, because it's a good looking boat and I enjoy sailing it, but it's going take a day or two of scraped knuckles and swearing!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.