Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Chain  (Read 2199 times)

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
Model Chain
« on: June 24, 2020, 03:34:17 pm »

This may sound like a silly question, but.....

Given that most chain on real ships and boats is either shiny galvanised or rusty iron, why is that chain available from model shops seems to be shiny brass. Yes, I understand that brass chain (imitation gold) is no doubt commercially produced for the jewellery trade, but a source of 'white metal' chain from model shops would be useful.

How do other modellers make brass chain look galvanised or rusty, paint just seems to stick all the links together and look wrong.

Or, am I just being too picky and others are happy with brass chain. However I don't think this would look right with brass chain. I did wonder about nickel plating.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model Chain
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 04:04:53 pm »

SHG does chain, Various sizes in a red oxide colour, nemesis

reg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 04:49:27 pm »

Just run it through a candle flame that will blacken it down

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 05:45:28 pm »

I just had a thought, somewhere in the garage is probably a bottle of chemical blacking for brass. We used to use it on replica muzzle loading pistols to make them look old I know where the tub of steel blueing paste is, that is maybe worth a shot on a small piece.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 05:49:43 pm »

There is plenty of model chain in various colours and sizes advertised on Ebay. In facts the ads are a pest - he usually puts on about a dozen a day. >>:-(

Barrie

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 05:52:55 pm »

Not found them, despite searching. Must try harder.

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 06:31:16 pm »

I found a load on Ebay, no idea why it didn't come up when I searched last time.

Just bought a metre for less than £1.50 for 3mm chain, my sort of price methinks.

RST

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 07:16:09 pm »

Trust me I was the same, then just after I bought some bright brass chain to last another 4-5 years I found eBay links to blackened ones, now I'm inundated with eBay suggestions for black chains!  I think it's like Barrie said, if you change to "most recent listings", the same person keeps relisting every couple of days!

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 09:41:33 pm »

On this side of the Pond model-size chain can be found in the jewelry making department of womens' craft stores.  Joann, Hobby Lobby, etc.  Black, silver, bronze...

RST

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2020, 09:45:48 pm »

On this side of the Pond model-size chain can be found in the jewelry making department of womens' craft stores.  Joann, Hobby Lobby, etc.  Black, silver, bronze...

...you can get that in "Hobbycraft" over here but it tends to be "twisted" links, more jewellery related and whilst near the right colour doesn't quite work (I have a roll or 2 of it so far).

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 03:09:57 am »

Here is my link to model studded anchor chain that has fused/welded links.....this Merchant also has pre blackened model ship chains

http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=7303.msg42650;topicseen#msg42650

Chemical blackening/bronzing fluid is also available.........a specific chemical bronze/greening fluid is also available.....just Google the requirement

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 07:24:43 am »

Brass can be blackened with a solution and the result is more durable than paint, so it's actually better for chain than white metal. 

I've found some matte silver chain that works very well for representing galvanized stuff, came from the jewellery section at Michael's but I assume it's available in craft stores around the world. They also had some copper stuff which can be oxidized to look black/brown and rusty, but it needs to be soaked in some potent solvent first to remove the clear lacquer finish. 

I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.

Dean's Marine

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dean's Marine
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2020, 08:54:46 am »

Pat Matthews

• Full Mayhemer
  • Get your boats wet!
    • Matthews Model Marine
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2020, 04:36:48 am »

For galvanized anything, when starting from brass or copper, look for electronics tinning solution... used to tin plate the copper traces on PCBs. You can simply dip clean parts into the solution and the covering just happens. One supplier:
https://www.mgchemicals.com/products/prototyping-and-circuit-repair/prototyping/liquid-tin-421

Picture shows a tinned brass bottle screw and shackles from RB Models.

Pat Matthews
Get Your Boats Wet!
Matthews Model Marine
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.